uniqs
share rss forum feed

christcorp
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY
kudos:1

Have to reboot SB5100 modem to regain bandwidth

Wonder if anyone has had this problem. Not sure if it's the modem or the service. Seems to have started around the time of the upgrade to higher speeds, but that could just be a coincidence.

I have the high speed bandwidth. Was getting the 15+mb religiously. Now, I get the 19+mb. No problem. However, after about 2-3 days, the bandwidth will be down to about 11mb with tests. If I let it go another 2-3 days, it will get down to around 6-7mb. Pings are still identical at all these speed changes. Tracert are also the same with excellent times, with no high latencies. Nothing looks bad at all. If I reboot the modem, "Normally through the browser", I will be back up to the 19mb download again. It will last 2-3 days, then start over again.

Again, not sure if it's the bresnan service or the modem. Seems to have started with the increase in bandwidth, but that might just be a coincidence. I own the modem, so I'm not going to call bresnan. Don't feel like buying a new modem just to test it out. Any suggestions or similar experiences? thanks. mike....

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

Any entries in the log that correlate with the bandwidth decrease? Any difference if you bypass your router (think you said you had one)? Rebooting the modem cycles that Ethernet link so could be a bad interface on the router, though not entirely sure about that since pings/traces go through as normal. What about signal levels? Could be the RF chipset in the modem wigging out too...I think Cheyenne is on a D2 CMTS, I know Butte is on a 1.1 CMTS yet, not sure if that makes too much of a difference at this point but something to note.

christcorp
Premium
Cheyenne, WY

Everything looks fine in the log and all the stats. Ping, tracert, etc.... are all fine. I can't really disconnect the router, that isn't practical. However, I can let the network sit for a few days, wait to see when the speeds start to slow down, then when it does, disconnect a pc from the router and plug it directly into the SB5100 without rebooting the modem. I might be able to see if there's a change or not. Thanks for the reply. Mike.

christcorp
Premium
Cheyenne, WY
reply to christcorp

OK; a little update. After doing some reverse searching on networks, I discovered that UPnP has a tendency of throttling back bandwidth. By nature, it's purpose is to allow networked devices to communicate with each other without the help of a person who can SPELL "DSL", "PC", "CPU", etc... In other words, it's an automatic means of doing what many of us do manually on networks. But it eats bandwidth slowly. I turned off the UPnP on my router about a week ago, and I've maintained FULL throughput bandwidth on my router and SB5100 modem. Though some might like to know a little bit about UPnP. later... mike...

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

Interesting that UPnP was the problem...Could be the way the router implements it, maybe a memory leak or something?

Thanks for the update!