uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gdadkins

join:2009-05-11
Mantachie, MS

1 edit
reply to tiger72

Re: GOOD.

ATT's scenario of Lose LTE signal and drop to Edge is the more appropriate response. I'm all for the HSPA+ upgrades, but it won't do people any good that can't even get 3G now unfortunately.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

1 edit
Last I checked, ATT offers fairly capable 3g in all 30 NFL cities that Verizon says it'll roll out to.

I'm not a fan of ATT in the least. Their latency is 2-3x higher than my T-Mobile 3g. Even twice as high as my Sprint 3g. They drop calls. Data stalls. But frankly, if you're in a remotely urban area, you probably can get their 3g. And i guarantee that, unless you're in SF or NYC, it's faster than Verizon or Sprint - hands down. I guess that's a bit much, since I haven't been to all 30 NFL cities, but I know that when it comes to Data, Verizon sorely needs LTE to be remotely competitive with ATT and T-Mobile.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

MarkyD
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK

1 recommendation

said by tiger72:

...And i guarantee that, unless you're in SF or NYC, it's faster than Verizon or Sprint - hands down.
hardly. Oklahoma City is a great example. I work at a govt facility on airport property...AT&T is garbage here, and just about everywhere. So many of my co-workers are switching to Verizon, as I did about 6 months ago, due to TERRIBLE quality of service on AT&T. Is 3g pretty much everywhere in the metro? Yes. Do you actually get 3g speeds? Well if 500-800kbps down and 200-300kbps up (with full bars) is 3g, sure. This isn't just the story at work, but just about everywhere else in the area.

The AT&T guys here drop calls. SMS messages fail to send on a regular basis. They can't stream pandora for more than a few minutes without it skipping out. All reasons why I left AT&T for Verizon.

ATT's network may be "theoretically" faster, but the quality of service is just not there, at all. With TWO bars of 3G on Verizon, I just pulled 2.2mbps down and 998mbps up. That's not uncommon. My buddy with an iPhone 4 and a full 3g signal, with his phone sitting right next to mine, got 759kbps down, 180 up...same server, same speedtest app, etc.

ATT may be great in some areas, but certainly not in OKC.

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

1 edit
My area - Verizon has good service but poor download speeds.

Achieving consistent 2.5-3mbps downloads aren't a problem on AT&T. VZ barely tops a meg.

MarkyD
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK
said by ssavoy:

My area - Verizon has good service but poor download speeds.

Achieving consistent 2.5-3mbps downloads aren't a problem on AT&T. VZ barely tops a meg.
I guess it all comes down to your area. Here, AT&T has a piss poor network. Verizon, on the other hand, just entered our market a year ago via an alltel acquisition. Alltel built their network really well here, all on 850.