Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

1 recommendation

Bobcat79 to Calliope

Premium Member

to Calliope

Re: Flying - external HD and laptop?

Note that spare lithium batteries are not allowed in your checked luggage. Only batteries which are installed in a device like a laptop are allowed.

Calliope
Premium Member
join:2005-09-19
Madison, WI

Calliope

Premium Member

said by Bobcat79:

Note that spare lithium batteries are not allowed in your checked luggage. Only batteries which are installed in a device like a laptop are allowed.
Yes, I understand that. Austrian has a .pdf »mobile.austrian.com/en/h ··· ods.ashx with a very thorough list.

Also traveling with a pet, so I just can not handle any excess carry-on baggage. As mentioned, the external goes in its original packaging and will just have to take my chances with the laptop. I do have all important documentation backed up on several thumb drives and DVDs that are being shipped separately. Would have loved to have gotten a netbook, but impossible at this point.

Guess I'll post back in a few weeks and let you all know how it went.

Thank you for all the responses. This is a 12 hour transatlantic flight and the luggage with the laptop can be shrink-wrapped and locked, so not too worried about theft, unless someone takes the entire suitcase.
Bobcat79
Premium Member

1 edit

1 recommendation

Bobcat79

Premium Member

nm (Just saw it was an international flight)

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 recommendation

runnoft to Calliope

Premium Member

to Calliope
said by Calliope:

...Also traveling with a pet, so I just can not handle any excess carry-on baggage. As mentioned, the external goes in its original packaging and will just have to take my chances with the laptop. I do have all important documentation backed up on several thumb drives and DVDs that are being shipped separately. Would have loved to have gotten a netbook, but impossible at this point...

Traveling with a pet definitely limits what you can do with carry-ons, because it counts as your main carry-on, as you know. The only other thing they let you bring is a "small personal item," usually limited to small backpack size or smaller, that will go overhead. I might have to make an exception, myself, to my personal rule about not checking electronics, in that situation.

I think you're doing the best you can with what you've got. Your stuff will probably be fine. Have a great trip!

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium Member
join:2007-01-20

1 recommendation

Technogeez

Premium Member

said by runnoft:

Traveling with a pet definitely limits what you can do with carry-ons, because it counts as your main carry-on, as you know.
Yeah, you definitely should not put a pet in your checked baggage with your laptop. They'll scratch up your laptop screen and surf pr0n while you're sipping diet Coke and munching peanuts up in the cabin.

Calliope
Premium Member
join:2005-09-19
Madison, WI

Calliope

Premium Member

said by Technogeez:

said by runnoft:

Traveling with a pet definitely limits what you can do with carry-ons, because it counts as your main carry-on, as you know.
Yeah, you definitely should not put a pet in your checked baggage with your laptop. They'll scratch up your laptop screen and surf pr0n while you're sipping diet Coke and munching peanuts up in the cabin.
Thank you for the humor! I needed that at this point!

UNFORTUNATELY, the kitty has to go in checked baggage as well, because he's a BIG kitty and will not fit in a cramped 8" high, under-the-seat carrier. So, the possibility of him scratching my laptop and surfing those not-so-nice places, does exist!

This is an International flight from Europe to the USA. I am not dealing with TSA on this end, thank heavens. European baggage handlers seem to be a bit more careful than thier American counterparts and all rules and regulations are under EU standards, not American.

The airport I am leaving from advises to lock suitcases and even offers shrink-wrapping at the airport itself.
Bobcat79
Premium Member

Bobcat79

Premium Member

said by Calliope:

European baggage handlers seem to be a bit more careful than thier American counterparts
When I flew to Paris in July, they misplaced 25% of our plane's checked baggage for an hour. Only after a bunch of people started complaining did they "find" the missing baggage.