spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

VOC phase out

In reference to »Acrylic Exterior Woods Stains-Deck & Fense Application, what is the scope of this VOC phase out?

For paints or primers, latex can usually be used, but for exterior wood that is not painted -- I kinda doubtful. For one, I coat pretty much everything with either Penofin or Danish oil because I found that wood threated with them will "age" much better than untreated wood.

Are VOCs phased out only when suitable substitutes exist, or it's a "no matter what" phase out?

TIA

Tainted One
@mc.videotron.ca

Tainted One

Anon

Acrylic or the hybrid oil-acrylic (which Behr told me was also going to be phased out by the latest 2012) *are* the substitutes.

There is some oil left on the shelves, but there is no re-stock of them here from what I made out. End of life product. Discontinued.

2012, i do believe, is the deadline for them all to be pulled, including the new low VOC hybrids.

I don't know about the states, but here it's phase-out, end of story.

Danish oil, no clue. Never heard of it. Call a couple of manufacturers up and ask (800# on the back of the can or google).

Let us know what you find out if you call around.

I put my project on hold till the spring. Hoping to read more on it and see what, if anything, develops till then. One winter season on unprotected ceder shouldn't damage the wood, I hope... Right?

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 edit

Msradell to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I've been doing some research on this subject and can find no reference to the complete phase out of oil based stains. Some Nanny states like Washington, California and New York are phasing them out but other places aren't. Of course like many other things once California screws it up many other people suffer! I've talked to several places locally and they know of no forthcoming phase out of oil-base stains! A new ones have been reformulated for lower VOC levels but they're still Linseed oil based and will continue to be!

If anyone has any reference to Federal standards on this subject would you please post them.

Tainted One
@anonymouse.org

Tainted One to aurgathor

Anon

to aurgathor
I can't find info on a complete phase out either, yet Behr told me something else.

I was at Reno-Depot today and they had a chart up on the counter for when/what is coming off the shelves. I copied the Canadian gov site listed on it.
»www.ec.gc.ca/cov-voc/

I wasn't able to find the chart they had on the counter at all.

I also spoke to the Reno-Depot person behind the counter and he told me that the oil-acrylic hybrids are going to stay. But again, Behr told me otherwise.

From the sounds of the gov site above (which also references US-EPA), *I think* they are aiming for a minimum VOC in consumer products. If that's the case, then hybrids should stay, but it isn't very clear.

I'll call a few manufactures next week or Email them and see what they have to say.

So this will be the same for any oil-based coating (including car paints). Basically I think this affects all consumer products that have solvents period.

Will let you know as I find more out, unless someone else pastes some info...