uniqs
bdesatnik
Premium Member
join:2003-12-20
Cleveland, OH

bdesatnik

Premium Member

double NAT

I'm attempting to connect to my Mac (running OS X 10.6) from the internet - I have software on the Mac that lets me view recorded TV shows. I am able to view the recordings via wireless but not when trying to connect from AT&T 3G network, no luck.

I have a Belkin N+ wireless router, model F5D8235-4 version 2033 with the latest firmware installed. When I attempt to access my Mac, I receive an error from the software (EyeTV) indicating "your have more than one device on your network providing Network Address Translation. Try disabling NAT on one of the devices".

I've been working with the software vendor (Elgato) with no luck - they've indicated it could be related to NAT or could be port 2170 needs to be mapped. I also contacted Belkin and they weren't able to help either. The software uses port 2170 and I've tried port mapping.

I am using a Linksys cable modem in front of my router and only have my Mac connected to the router (via Ethernet and wireless at the moment).

I'm trying to determine the following:
1. how do I determine which device is causing the issue?
2. how do I disable NAT on that device (or router)?

Any suggestions on what else to try? I'm at a loss at what else to try, aside from possibly replacing the router.

Thanks for your help.
supergeeky
join:2003-05-09
United State

1 recommendation

supergeeky

You should only be connected via one method...

a) Mac wireless to the router, router wired to the Linksys
b) Mac wired to the router, router wired to the Linksys

Whichever one you pick, give that interface a static IP on your LAN and port forward to it.

For example, lets say you pick wired, so on the Ethernet port properties on the Mac put in a static IP like 192.168.1.5 (outside of the DHCP range)

Then, in the router's configuration, port forward 2170 (or whatever else they want) to the 192.168.1.5 IP
bdesatnik
Premium Member
join:2003-12-20
Cleveland, OH

bdesatnik

Premium Member

Thanks very much for the information. I'm going to try to setup with Mac wired to the router. As far as a static IP address is concerned, you indicated it should be outside of the DHCP range - not sure what you mean by that. Looking at my router configuration, DHCP server is on and the IP pool starting address is 192.168.2.2 and IP pool ending address is 192.168.2.100. Based on this information, what would you suggest I use as a static IP address?

Thanks again.
supergeeky
join:2003-05-09
United State

supergeeky

So a static IP outside the range would be...

192.168.2.101 through 192.168.2.253

For the other values (default gateway, subnet mask, DNS, cheat by looking at a computer which currently has a DHCP lease)

On Windows: Start > Run > type: cmd > OK > type: ipconfig /all

On Mac OSX: Apple menu > System Preferences > Network > select Built In Ethernet > select TCP/IP