how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrCodeDude

join:2010-09-17

1 edit

[Connectivity] Motorola SB6120 doesn't work with CC-Resolved

Had Comcast installed today and the tech could not get my SB6120 to work. I used this modem with no problems with Charter when I went to college, but just to humor the tech, I went to my local Fry's, purchased a new one which had the same problem.

The tech verified with his signal reader that I had a strong signal (he said it might have been too high, so he attached a -7db splitter), still no results.

We tried his Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 modem, which worked just fine.

The problem with the SB6120 is that the online light never locks. It seems like it continuously resets itself as the LED progression goes as follows:

Power: Constant Green
Receive: Blinks Blue, then Solid Green
Send: Blinks Blue, then Solid Green
Online: Blinks Green
Link: Alternates between solid and blinking Amber

When the process gets to where the Online blinks green and the Link blinks Amber, it'll reset itself back to receive blinking blue and repeat the process.

Going to »192.168.100.1 the status page shows:

DOCSIS Downstream Channel Acquisition :: Done
DOCSIS Ranging :: Done
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP :: Done
Establish Time Of Day :: Done
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP :: Done
Register Connection :: Failed
Cable Modem Status :: Offline
Initialize Baseline Privacy :: Not started
Under Logs, it gives one error:
Sep 17 2010 17:49:06 3-Critical I251.3 Registration RSP rejected unspecified reason;CM-MAC=00:22:10:3b:4a:05;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:33:01:46;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
And here's the modem information:
Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB6120-1.0.1.8-SCM02-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number: removed
Firmware Build Time: Apr 22 2009 12:15:22
The second SB6120's information is as follows (has the same status page):

Error Log:
Sep 17 2010 17:52:29 6-Notice I401.0 TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=00:23:74:f2:2d:bb;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:33:01:46;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Modem information:
Firmware Name: SB6120-1.0.1.8-SCM02-NOSH
Firmware Build Time: Apr 22 2009 12:15:22
The people that the technician talked to over the phone seemed mostly disinterested and said they couldn't provision without a "locked sync," which I'm assuming means a solid Online light (something I was unable to accomplish).

My neighbor has an SB6120 and he gave me his modem information:
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH
Firmware Build Time: Apr 6 2010 16:34:56
Could the problem be the different firmware (mine is more than a year old)? If so, is it possible to flash my modem to the new firmware? Everything I've read seems to imply the modem will self update, but if I can't connect at all, am I SOL?

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

Re: [Connectivity] Motorola SB6120 doesn't work with Comcast/No

I would leave the modem plugged in for a while so that it can update the firmware itself. My brother bought a 6120 last week and it took almost an hour for the firmware updates to completely finish.

MrCodeDude

said by biomesh:

I would leave the modem plugged in for a while so that it can update the firmware itself. My brother bought a 6120 last week and it took almost an hour for the firmware updates to completely finish.
I've had both connected for over two hours and they continue to reboot. How would they be able to download the firmware updates if they aren't pulling a connection from Comcast?

jay2031
Premium
join:2004-01-10
Algonquin, IL

Did you try and do a "reset all defaults" on the configuration page?

lddbck

join:2005-03-03
Hopewell, VA
reply to MrCodeDude

Had the same issue with one I bought. Put a ticket in with Comcast Steve and we tried some things but it would never download the firmware. He offered to update it but I would've had to send it to them for hands on. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle at the time and took mine back. I had also tried 2...both being new. Some people have no problems while others do for some reason.

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to MrCodeDude

If you get a reading something like REG on hold or something like that it means it failed to register with a possible cause from noise.Did the tech check the transmit SNR because just because you have say like a 40 or 41 transmit power and the channel is noisy you may have to get it to around 48 or so for it to register.That REG on hold that means it failed to register and could not be heard by the cmts.Its best to try and fix the problem without raising the power levels but the 6120 is sensitive on the transmit.I had this same issue with mine all the lights would turn solid green then the online light would just blink until it reset itself over and over.I raised my power from 40 to 47 and it locks rt up.My arris digital voice it worked fine as well until I got the motorola and it was like me moody

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to MrCodeDude

You have not posted your signals because the SNR is the most important thing this is why I am shocked when a tech or whoever claims that the lower the better on the transmit I personally believe with only cable tv and auto audio under my belt which is signal paths with noise being one of its biggest enemies believe that the recieve can be -15-+15 give or take u will hear this crap about -5+5 which is silly or the docsis 3 modem but the transmit is where I believe its best from 44 to 50 and even up to 52 if your having no problems.I don't know if the techs don't check the noise floor and I don't mean all of them but not knowing the transmit SNR the low 40's and mid to high 30's with a low SNR is a problem now if its a quiet line then heck yea the lower the better but if u ever been to a live concert on the front row and try and talk to sombody you have to yell until that vein on your neck pops out

MrCodeDude

reply to jay2031

said by jay2031:

I hit the button, it said it will take 5-30 minutes, I hit okay. It doesn't appear that the modem is doing anything different.

MrCodeDude

reply to Jasonfn22

Here's the information from my signals page:

Downstream
Channel ID :: 1
Frequency :: 717000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio :: 37 dB
Downstream Modulation :: QAM256
Power Level :: 0 dBmV

Upstream
Channel ID :: 8
Frequency :: 30600000 Hz
Ranging Service ID :: n/a
Symbol Rate :: 5.120 Msym/sec
Power Level :: 47 dBmV
Upstream Modulation :: [3] QPSK ; [3] 64QAM
Ranging Status :: Success
Are you saying that my signal is too noisy and I should take off the filter?

MrCodeDude

reply to lddbck

I own the SB6120 from when I had Charter at college and my neighbor uses the same model modem for his same Charter service. It is inexcusable (although I'm not sure if it's on the part of Comcast or Motorola) that the service can be so finicky.

krafty1

join:2010-04-07
Hastings, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to MrCodeDude

Channel ID 197 198 199 200
Frequency 729000000 Hz 735000000 Hz 741000000 Hz 747000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power LevelThe Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
7 dBmV 7 dBmV 7 dBmV 7 dBmV mine works fine at these levels
Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 32000000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 690
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec
Power Level 45 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status Success
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH
Serial Number: 00000000000000000000000
Firmware Build Time: Apr 6 2010 16:34:56
this is on the 12/2 tier

MrCodeDude

reply to MrCodeDude

I did some research and found these three threads: »Cannot register and C0mcast cannot see the modem? ; »Comcast does not support SB6120? ; »SB6120 problems...I think modem is good, maybe their end???

It appears that one solution is to take my modem to a different person's house and see if it works there? If my friend lives, literally, 200 yards from my house and has a working SB6120, is that far enough or did his probably just ship with updated firmware?

I find it quite appalling that these issues have (and continue to) existed since the beginning of this year.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

It sort-of sounds like some CMTS's are having issues with certain 6120 firmware versions?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

It sort-of sounds like some CMTS's are having issues with certain 6120 firmware versions?

Bingo!!

Get Comcast out there again, and don't let them leave till they fix it. I had exact problem as you..and neighbor has the same modem and hers always worked.

You need a maintenance call (I think that's what they call it).

I had to keep on them, but after almost 3 weeks later, mine has finally been working. This is after weeks of them telling me the 6120 wont work out here due to we aren't DOCSIS3 out here. (no comment on that hog wash )
--
Long you live and high you fly and Smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

It doesn't explain why a common shipped Firmware version:( i.e SB6120-1.0.1.8-SCM02-NOSH) would be a problem with 1 modem and not another on the same CMTS.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to MrCodeDude

said by MrCodeDude:

said by jay2031:

I hit the button, it said it will take 5-30 minutes, I hit okay. It doesn't appear that the modem is doing anything different.
FWIW here, you need to also hit the "Restart Cable Modem" button after you hit the "Reset All Defaults" button.

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:76
reply to MrCodeDude

said by MrCodeDude:

It appears that one solution is to take my modem to a different person's house and see if it works there? If my friend lives, literally, 200 yards from my house and has a working SB6120, is that far enough or did his probably just ship with updated firmware?

His 6120 probably already has the newer firmware,
SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH

I would post in the direct forum, truck rolls won't do you any good here.

»Comcast Direct

SteveTeow See Profile should be able to get the fw updated and resolve your issue.

netcool
Premium,VIP
Englewood, CO
reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

It doesn't explain why a common shipped Firmware version:( i.e SB6120-1.0.1.8-SCM02-NOSH) would be a problem with 1 modem and not another on the same CMTS.
Here is the scenario I've seen... The CMTS was previously running an older version of code that did not have issues with 6120s and older fw. Thus all the 6120s on the CMTS were able to successfully autoupgrade their fw upon modem reset.

Subsequently the CMTS was upgraded to a newer code that has problems with 6120s and old fw. All the 6120s that were previously upgraded will continue to function no problem but any 6120s that try to register with the old fw will not be able to do so.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to netcool

The SB6120 does not ship with firmware: SB6120-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH.

The newest "shipped firmware" is: SB6120-1.0.1.8-SCM02-NOSH
--

netcool
Premium,VIP
Englewood, CO

said by Johkal:

The SB6120 does not ship with firmware: SB6120-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH.

The newest "shipped firmware" is: SB6120-1.0.1.8-SCM02-NOSH
Yes that is correct. I never said it was shipped with new firmware. The firmware updates must take place once its been successfully registered onto the network.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

You said: "His 6120 probably already has the newer firmware,
SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH"

So, are you saying it had the updated firmware already or the CMTS decided it liked their modem enough to update it?
--

MrCodeDude

reply to EG

said by EG:

FWIW here, you need to also hit the "Restart Cable Modem" button after you hit the "Reset All Defaults" button.
Yeah, I hit the Reset All Defaults then hit Restart Cable Modem. No dice.

MrCodeDude

reply to netcool

said by netcool:

Here is the scenario I've seen... The CMTS was previously running an older version of code that did not have issues with 6120s and older fw. Thus all the 6120s on the CMTS were able to successfully autoupgrade their fw upon modem reset.

Subsequently the CMTS was upgraded to a newer code that has problems with 6120s and old fw. All the 6120s that were previously upgraded will continue to function no problem but any 6120s that try to register with the old fw will not be able to do so.
This seems to be the case, and if it is true, it's ridiculous. Why would Comcast hang users out to dry like this? Or at least, why have no documentation of this problem. The firmware has been out since April and this seems to be a widely occurring problem.

netcool
Premium,VIP
Englewood, CO

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

You said: "His 6120 probably already has the newer firmware,
SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH"

So, are you saying it had the updated firmware already or the CMTS decided it liked their modem enough to update it?
I'm saying his friend probably has had his 6120 connected for awhile, prior to the CMTS code upgrade that is now causing him issues. And that's why it was able to upgrade...

netcool
Premium,VIP
Englewood, CO
reply to MrCodeDude

said by MrCodeDude:

This seems to be the case, and if it is true, it's ridiculous. Why would Comcast hang users out to dry like this? Or at least, why have no documentation of this problem. The firmware has been out since April and this seems to be a widely occurring problem.
Where are you located? There aren't actually that many CMTS' running the problematic code. There should be better documentation from all parties in my opinion, and Moto should start shipping with newer fw ASAP.

MrCodeDude

said by netcool:

Where are you located? There aren't actually that many CMTS' running the problematic code. There should be better documentation from all parties in my opinion, and Moto should start shipping with newer fw ASAP.
San Jose, California. Zip Code 95132.

SirchMeister

join:2003-03-03
Hopewell, VA
reply to MrCodeDude

Yep this is def an issue. Steve has spoken with me about it. I have a DPC3000 but I believe it uses the same chip as the SB6120 does and is suffering from the same issue. It's related to the Modem and the CMTS.

MrCodeDude

said by SirchMeister:

Yep this is def an issue. Steve has spoken with me about it. I have a DPC3000 but I believe it uses the same chip as the SB6120 does and is suffering from the same issue. It's related to the Modem and the CMTS.
I posted the problem in the Comcast Direct forum and this was Steve's response:
Just checked with engineering. The modem firmware is old and not syncing with the CMTS. We can get it updated if you can connect it at another location/CMTS. Do you have any friends or relatives that live closed by. If so, give me their account info and I can tell what CMTS they are on and see if you can get it connected there and update the firmware. Let me know.
I gave him the address of one friend who has a working SB6120, but he said that friend is on the same broken CMTS. I then gave him another friend's address and asked: "Does Comcast not have a location in the immediate area where I can take my modem and they can update it? I'd imagine they'd have working CMTS at an official Comcast office."

He's yet to get back to me; and I asked that question last Wednesday.

Quite the "comcastic" experience.

MrCodeDude

Just in case anyone with the same problem comes across this thread, going to a Comcast Service Center will get you nowhere. Agents there aren't allowed to touch any of the service center connections; even if you bring a splitter.

I find it appalling that the only way to rectify the situation is to find a friend who has Comcast service on a different CMTS and connect my modem to their coax line; something that a Comcast service center is unwilling to do.

Maybe Comcast should change their slogan to "We can't help you, but maybe your friends can."

SirchMeister

join:2003-03-03
Hopewell, VA

2 edits

Yeah the people at the local office here aren't going to give me any help so I'm not going to waste a drive down there. I don't really know of anyones house I can go to to get this updated either. Not sure what to do now