uniqs

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

1 edit

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Is there a connection fee for new internet service?

I understand Comcast and ATT both have their respective HSI forums, however, I had a question for both services. If need be, please move to relevant forum.

Im helping a family member to get internet service for her house. I saw that ATT and Comcast both have promotional offers of $19.99 per month. ATT is for 12 months and Comcast is for 6 months. However, Comcast's speed is vastly superior.

Thing is, while speed is a deciding factor, more importantly is the final monthly bill and also the first bill. Does Comcast or ATT charge a connection fee? My family member only wants to get it if she starts paying $20 + taxes since the very first month and will not do it if she has to pay a $100 or whatever connection fee?

I ask this because I know theres a connection (or reconnect) fee for new phone service, but wasnt sure if it applies to internet as well?

Also, is there any hidden fee or something I should be aware of?

Thanks.

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

well i just got rehooked up and paid i think a $25 fee to comcast for internets and basic cable got the web for 20/m for a year and had to get tv so got the basic vanilla cable for nearly thte same price i think it was 17.95 so im saving maybe 5-6 month over the cost of internet alone

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
some offers waive the install fee...some dont......

the 20 for the first 6 months might include an install fee......also you would have to rent a modem...and have a bucks of franchise fees, etc....

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Family member already has basic cable service with comcast. Will this help at all? We have no modem so we will need to add $5 rental for modem rental.

We have no current services with ATT but we do have a modem from them, so no need to rent one.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Your best and most accurate option is to call their sales departments, or look on their websites for your particular area. As said, some offers waive installation fees, some do not.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

1 edit

The Pig to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

Family member already has basic cable service with comcast. Will this help at all? We have no modem so we will need to add $5 rental for modem rental.

They will most likely charge installion fee, if you can't do it yourself! They just turn on internet thing to your exiating cable and you're good to go, hook up the modem and call in the serial number.
Yes, It would cost more for internet service if you don't have their cable TV service (well at least out here with Charter it does).
As for the modem it would be much cheaper in the long run to BUY one rather then rent. $5 x 12 months = $60 a year.

As an example
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25122011

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Was reading ATT's ToS regarding their promotional offer and they will charge the regular $42.95 and some time within the first 3 months they will issue credits to offset the difference. So far this is a big NO.

Im gonna call both places now, i think thats best. Thanks.
Grothendieck

1 edit

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Well so I called both places to make sure of everything.

Called Comcast and everything was good. $20 for 12/2 service for 6 months. They charge $30 connect fee if someone had to come to connect it, but they dont charge anything if I connect it myself, its a no brainer, so of course I will. Everything perfect.

Then I called ATT and turns out their $20 offer for 6.0 Mb is not available to us because, and I quote "fiber optic is available for you", i chuckled and said "do you mean UVERSE" and told them thats FTTN and not FTTH and shouldnt call it like that, she didnt understand and I just went "nevermind". Is this legal for them to do? Calling your product something it isnt? If that is really allowed you could call dial-up fiber optic, because somewhere back there in the backbone, its fiber optic...

So only option was 1.5, and no thanks, I will choose 12/2 from Comcast. To be honest, after they told me "fiber optic" there wasnt any offer I was going to take. I dont like to be lied to and assumed to be an ignorant.

Thanks for suggesting the option of buying the modem instead of renting it, it makes sense.

Carl
Premium Member
join:2004-07-21
Lafayette, LA

Carl

Premium Member

said by Grothendieck:

Well so I called both places to make sure of everything.

Called Comcast and everything was good. $20 for 12/2 service for 6 months. They charge $30 connect fee if someone had to come to connect it, but they dont charge anything if I connect it myself, its a no brainer, so of course I will. Everything perfect.

Then I called ATT and turns out their $20 offer for 6.0 Mb is not available to us because, and I quote "fiber optic is available for you", i chuckled and said "do you mean UVERSE" and told them thats FTTN and not FTTH and shouldnt call it like that, she didnt understand and I just went "nevermind". Is this legal for them to do? Calling your product something it isnt? If that is really allowed you could call dial-up fiber optic, because somewhere back there in the backbone, its fiber optic...

So only option was 1.5, and no thanks, I will choose 12/2 from Comcast. To be honest, after they told me "fiber optic" there wasnt any offer I was going to take. I dont like to be lied to and assumed to be an ignorant.

Thanks for suggesting the option of buying the modem instead of renting it, it makes sense.
If the only option is 1.5 then you are served by IFITL (Integrated Fiber in the Loop) and yes, it IS fiber optic... It's an abandoned technology for the most part, though.

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »What's the difference between DSL, IFITL, DFITL, and MX FastAccess Service?

"IFITL (Integrated Fiber In The Loop)
IFITL (a.k.a. as PCData) is BellSouth's first broadband over fiber to the curb service and utilizes Marconi equipment that integrates voice, video, and data capabilities. It is not DSL but a 10Mb ethernet from the ONU to your house. With IFITL no modem is needed, but you must have a professional installation by a BST technician. They will install 10Base-T protector and a special EBN in the NID, run new CatX cable (or utilize existing spare pairs, if available) from NID to a RJ-45 wall plate, and then to the NIC of your PC or WAN port on a router. Currently, IFITL customers are not eligible for Extreme 3.0 or Extreme 6.0, but IFITL can usually obtain slightly higher download speeds than FastAccess Ultra DSL customers because it uses traffic shaping instead of hard provisioning caps. Click here for additional IFTIL installation and connectivity information."

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

some offers waive the install fee...some dont......

the 20 for the first 6 months might include an install fee......also you would have to rent a modem...and have a bucks of franchise fees, etc....
not to mention a contract with steep ETF!

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Grothendieck to Carl

Premium Member

to Carl
You misunderstood.

I was told I couldnt get 6.0 Mb DSL because FIBER OPTIC is available (UVERSE). And so I could get UVERSE (over the budget for us) or if I wanted DSL, instead of 6.0 i would have to get 1.5.

My comment about fiber optic was that they called fiber optic their UVERSE, which is FTTN and not FTTH.

I think its obvious to call something fiber optic it has to be FTTH like fios...

If there doesnt exist that distinction, *everything* can be called fiber optic because somewhere back there, there is fiber optic. Pretty stupid logic, but one that marketing uses I guess.

This is a pretty dead horse in this site's news discussions hence i dont want it to turn into yet another discussion.

Thanks all.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit

runnoft to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
You're right, Luis, calling it "fiber optic" is overselling it, but AT&T would argue it's puffery/marketing. There are worse examples in the marketplace. Some would say the overselling of download and upload speeds was a worse transgression. They all get away with a lot of exaggerated promotion.

I wouldn't expect a script-reading salesperson to understand the difference between FTTN and FTTH, either. Nobody gave them a script on that one.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
What does the price go to after the promo period is up? Sounds like really strapped for extra money and if promo price goes way up just going to cancel?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Grothendieck

MVM

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

Unfortunately, it appears to be legal; and the cablecos do it too. If you ask, Comcast will tell you all about their "fiber" (which, like U-verse, is FTTN).
Comcast is just as bad at that game.

BTW, AT&T doesn't charge rent for their modems.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

3 edits

r81984 to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
Att has no setup/connect fee.
If you already have a modem then you are set.
The $20 a month 6 meg plan has a 1 year contract with no phone line.
That is plan I am on. I just signed up this year for ATT dsl for my new apartment.

When you sign up you will just start paying the $20 a month + taxes.

Now your max speed is based on distance to the central office, so you might not be able to get the 6 meg plan.

Carl
Premium Member
Lafayette, LA

1 edit

Carl to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

You misunderstood.

I was told I couldnt get 6.0 Mb DSL because FIBER OPTIC is available (UVERSE). And so I could get UVERSE (over the budget for us) or if I wanted DSL, instead of 6.0 i would have to get 1.5.

My comment about fiber optic was that they called fiber optic their UVERSE, which is FTTN and not FTTH.

They were not lying in saying "fiber optic" is available. The fact that UVERSE is available is NOT why you cannot get DSL 6.0. The fact that the location is served by fiber optic (IFITL) *is* why the location cannot get 6.0. U-verse has nothing to do with it. They were not calling U-Verse "fiber optic," they were calling their DSL product "fiber optic" which in this case is correct. Actually, if we want to go down this road, IFITL is not DSL at all. It's marketed as DSL because some areas get AT&T FastAccess service through copper (DSL) and some through fiber (IFITL).
I do not think they were calling U-verse "fiber optic" in this case. Is U-verse even available to you? I didn't think any IFITL areas had U-verse service... I'm probably wrong on that point, though.

I think you are assuming that AT&T saying "fiber optic" means that they are saying "U-verse" ...

IFITL literally is fiber to the home.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

said by Carl:

Actually, literally "Fiber To The Curb".

Carl
Premium Member
Lafayette, LA

1 edit

Carl

Premium Member

said by NormanS:
said by Carl:

Actually, literally "Fiber To The Curb".
True, but it's more FTTH than U-verse is. Besides, I consider it FTTH since the pedestal is so close...

Okay, I give up on trying to justify that IFITL = FTTH, but the rest of my post still applies...

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to Grothendieck

MVM

to Grothendieck
Last time I hooked up with Comcast I got hit with a $100 connection fee, and that was within the past 12 months.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
AT&T Southeast (former Bellsouth) does not charge any connection/activation fee. I know this because I used to not be at home most of the year and was happy when they removed the $50 activation fee.

AT&T charges for the DSL modem if you request one, I think $50 but you can get a DSL modem on eBay for way less.

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

1 edit

Grothendieck to Carl

Premium Member

to Carl
Sorry i forgot that you were right besides me listening to the conversation, but perhaps you didnt hear when i was told "fiber optic is available to you" to which i ask "you mean UVERSE?" and they tell me "yes".

Carl
Premium Member
Lafayette, LA

Carl

Premium Member

said by Grothendieck:

Sorry i forgot that you were right besides me listening to the conversation, but perhaps you didnt hear when i was told "fiber optic is available to you" to which i ask "you mean UVERSE?" and they tell me "yes".
A lot of times the monkeys on the other end of the line have no idea what is happening.