spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anon8990

@shawcable.net
reply to Bashy

Re: top 5 safest and most secure email providers ?

You forgot to mention that they also have a backdoor built-in

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
said by anon8990 :

Can you back that up with references?
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 edit
said by chrisretusn:

said by anon8990 :

Can you back that up with references?
Here's a story from three years ago:

»www.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/1···iouspost

Whole lot of hyphens in that link, I see.

Another story from a couple of years ago:

»www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/04···rumours/

I don't know that it's fair to say this is a back door. It's more like saying that the concierge will cooperate with the cops.

--
Human nature abhors an empty closet.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
said by rcdailey:

I don't know that it's fair to say this is a back door. It's more like saying that the concierge will cooperate with the cops.
Agree, a court order is not exactly a back door. Any service can be subject to court orders.

Thanks for the links.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

anon8990

@shawcable.net
that's not the point. The point is that your info is not "secure" with hushmail like they say it is! If it is secure, there's no info to give to the cops!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

1 edit
said by anon8990 :

that's not the point. The point is that your info is not "secure" with hushmail like they say it is! If it is secure, there's no info to give to the cops!
You did not make that point in your post.

said by anon8990 :

You stated they have a back door, I asked for some verification of that. You provided nothing to backup that statement.

Hushmail does not promise to keep you from the cops. It does not promise that your data is 100% secure. Perhaps they did so in the past as implied in the articles referenced in rcdailey See Profile's post: »Re: top 5 safest and most secure email providers ? but I see no similar promises today.
quote:
The Limitations of Hushmail

Hushmail is the most secure webmail service on the Internet, but it is not a 100% solution for all of your security needs. There are some things that Hushmail cannot do.

Hushmail does not put you above the law

We are committed to the privacy of our users, and will absolutely not release user data without an order that is legally enforceable under the laws of British Columbia, Canada, which is the jurisdiction where our servers are located. In addition, we require that any such order refer specifically to the account for which data is required. However, if we do receive such an order, we are required to do everything in our power to comply with the law. Hushmail will not accept an order from any authority or investigative agency that is not enforceable under the laws of British Columbia, Canada. Other authorities must apply to the Canadian government through an appropriate Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty and request that the Canadian government obtain an order that is legally enforceable in British Columbia, Canada.

But I thought the data was always encrypted

When one Hushmail user sends an email to another Hushmail user, the body and attachments of that email are kept on our server in encrypted form, and under normal circumstances, we would have no access to that data. We can’t just pick an arbitrary encrypted email message off the server and read it. However, since Hushmail is a web-based service, the software that performs the encryption either resides on or is delivered by our servers. That means that there is no guarantee that we will not be compelled, under an order enforceable under the laws of British Columbia, Canada, to treat a user named in an order differently, and compromise that user’s privacy.
Source: »www.hushmail.com/about/technology/security/

Bottom line if you want secure email, encrypt it your self using PGP or GnuPG. Even that is not 100% secure under a court order.

--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!