Carl
Premium Member
join:2004-07-21
Lafayette, LA

1 edit

Carl to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck

Re: Is there a connection fee for new internet service?

said by Grothendieck:

You misunderstood.

I was told I couldnt get 6.0 Mb DSL because FIBER OPTIC is available (UVERSE). And so I could get UVERSE (over the budget for us) or if I wanted DSL, instead of 6.0 i would have to get 1.5.

My comment about fiber optic was that they called fiber optic their UVERSE, which is FTTN and not FTTH.

They were not lying in saying "fiber optic" is available. The fact that UVERSE is available is NOT why you cannot get DSL 6.0. The fact that the location is served by fiber optic (IFITL) *is* why the location cannot get 6.0. U-verse has nothing to do with it. They were not calling U-Verse "fiber optic," they were calling their DSL product "fiber optic" which in this case is correct. Actually, if we want to go down this road, IFITL is not DSL at all. It's marketed as DSL because some areas get AT&T FastAccess service through copper (DSL) and some through fiber (IFITL).
Then I called ATT and turns out their $20 offer for 6.0 Mb is not available to us because, and I quote "fiber optic is available for you", i chuckled and said "do you mean UVERSE" and told them thats FTTN and not FTTH and shouldnt call it like that, she didnt understand and I just went "nevermind". Is this legal for them to do? Calling your product something it isnt? If that is really allowed you could call dial-up fiber optic, because somewhere back there in the backbone, its fiber optic...
I do not think they were calling U-verse "fiber optic" in this case. Is U-verse even available to you? I didn't think any IFITL areas had U-verse service... I'm probably wrong on that point, though.

I think you are assuming that AT&T saying "fiber optic" means that they are saying "U-verse" ...

IFITL literally is fiber to the home.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

said by Carl:

Actually, literally "Fiber To The Curb".

Carl
Premium Member
Lafayette, LA

1 edit

Carl

Premium Member

said by NormanS:
said by Carl:

Actually, literally "Fiber To The Curb".
True, but it's more FTTH than U-verse is. Besides, I consider it FTTH since the pedestal is so close...

Okay, I give up on trying to justify that IFITL = FTTH, but the rest of my post still applies...

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

1 edit

Grothendieck to Carl

Premium Member

to Carl
Sorry i forgot that you were right besides me listening to the conversation, but perhaps you didnt hear when i was told "fiber optic is available to you" to which i ask "you mean UVERSE?" and they tell me "yes".

Carl
Premium Member
Lafayette, LA

Carl

Premium Member

said by Grothendieck:

Sorry i forgot that you were right besides me listening to the conversation, but perhaps you didnt hear when i was told "fiber optic is available to you" to which i ask "you mean UVERSE?" and they tell me "yes".
A lot of times the monkeys on the other end of the line have no idea what is happening.