how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vindari

@rogers.com

1 recommendation

[Extreme Plus] Utorrent Settings and Rogers

I have the extreme plus package, but recently ive re-installed windows 7 on both my gf's and I's pcs. Looking up Utorrent specs for best downloading but all posts are from like 2006-08.

What are the settings you use to get good download speeds? Before reinstall I could go 2MB/s, now I am lucky to get 20kb/s.

Right now I got a torrent going, 140(730) seeds,
40(1340) peers and Im only going at 11kb/s, does not seem right!

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON

I would like to know this too. Earlier this month i had no problem downloading with Rogers on utorrents default settings but recently my download speed has been 1/3 the normal speed and of course i've called rogers and they gave me the same old bs "all's good on our end".

bart48

@rogers.com

I've also been having problems with utorrent this past couple of weeks. I use to download at a full 2.5mb and up to 2.9mb for a single torrent. Now I can't ever get past 1.0mb and usually it's closer to 500kbps. Has rogers found a way to throttle downloads again? I tried different settings and nothing seems to help.

slush35

@rogers.com
reply to Vindari

I used to get max speed on torrents on express before but since last couple of weeks my speed has been very slow

afterburn999

Scarborough, ON
reply to bart48

Im glad to hear at least its not just me experiencing these download problems. I think it started around Sept. 10, I normally get 1.0MB/sec-1.2MB/sec on a well seeded torrent but since the 10th i've been halted down to 300kb-450kb nothing higher.

bart385

@rogers.com
reply to Vindari

I hope this gets resolved somehow soon. I need my speeds back. Im in Mississauga, just so we can see if it's by area. If anyone finds a solution please post here. I've spend hours trying to reinstall lan drivers. I tried deluge, but im always getting the same slow torrent speeds. Speed check does show im getting my full speed.

Rogers is throttling my download somehow.

afterburn999

Scarborough, ON

Yep i've also done Speedtest on both speedtest.net and rogersspeedtest and both show im getting my full speeds.

jcnb007

@rogers.com
reply to Vindari

I'm not sure if this applies or not but very recently my torrent speeds are being severely throttled. I have been using the port 1720 trick for a long time and got excellent results but now it's not working anymore. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this as well but i just thought id throw it out there. I'm on ultimate in Oromocto, NB.

randomzero

join:2010-03-25
reply to Vindari

I just checked my client today and noticed that a few torrents I started last night were barely moving, if at all. I reopened the client and they started connecting fine, but an hour or two later I came back and they had slowed down to a crawl once again..
I just restarted my client 15 mins ago and it seems to be connecting fine again, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I've also ran a speedtest, which was fine. And I ran uTorrents network test, which also reported no problems. Hopefully this was just a problem on the network which has since been corrected..

Vindari

@rogers.com
reply to Vindari

I live in London, ON, still dl'ing at 15kbs, ugh

metalhawk

join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON
reply to jcnb007

said by jcnb007 :

I'm not sure if this applies or not but very recently my torrent speeds are being severely throttled. I have been using the port 1720 trick for a long time and got excellent results but now it's not working anymore. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this as well but i just thought id throw it out there. I'm on ultimate in Oromocto, NB.
That port 1720 trick has not worked for a long time, almost from the beginning. Rogers does pay attention to what people say online, and this was fixed almost right away. You just happened to be in an area that was not throttled, which is simply not the case anymore.

jcnb007

@rogers.com

Well that's crap, now what to do? are there any other tricks out there that i might not know about?

Thanks.

New 2 this

@rogers.com
reply to Vindari

London here also, No problem here with download speed. All depends on others upload speed

afterburn999

Scarborough, ON
reply to metalhawk

said by metalhawk:

said by jcnb007 :

That port 1720 trick has not worked for a long time, almost from the beginning. Rogers does pay attention to what people say online, and this was fixed almost right away. You just happened to be in an area that was not throttled, which is simply not the case anymore.
Its true that that 1720 trick stopped working very fast but for almost two years now rogers only throttled upload speed. I was using default utorrent settings and always managed to get 1.2MB/sec on my downloads. I was just never able to upload more than 20kbs.

afterburn999

Scarborough, ON
reply to Vindari

We are all very spread out in different areas so I'm starting to get concerned that this is not a network problem and them going back to their throttling ways.

FearlesTech

join:2010-09-21
Markham, ON
reply to Vindari

I noticed that my encrypted Torrent traffic has been crippled -- less than 500kbps -- on Rogers in past week.

What used to take hours now takes days to download.

I have given-up in my search for a solution. I am taking my business to an alternate provider along with my Home phone to save money and the frustration.

skbrewer

join:2010-09-21
Barrie, ON
reply to Vindari

When I first moved to Barrie about a year ago, I noticed that all my torrent traffic was being throttled by Rogers. One day it inexplicably went away. I didn't change anything or use any new settings.

The explanation I heard at the time is that the hardware to do throttling is pretty expensive, and that rather than buy a lot of it, they take what they have and move it around. They pick an area where the bandwidth usage is a certain percentage above what they think it should be, and they set up throttling gear for that area. When the area that used to be throttled starts climbing up too high on bandwidth usage again, they move hardware back.

afterburn999

Scarborough, ON
reply to Vindari

Maybe it is a network thing, I saw three rogers trucks working on my street yesterday and another two this morning.

tfuhrman

join:2009-08-02
Guelph, ON

1 edit
reply to Vindari

I have been having the same issues as all of you. I was getting great D/L speeds and now they have gone down the toilet. I'm still able to upload fine but I have no where near my usual 1.5MB/sec.

Steve Jobs
American living in Canada
Premium
join:2002-06-23
canada
reply to Vindari

Same here.

fooforon

@rogers.com
reply to Vindari

I'm located in Scarborough and have notice in the last week or 2 my torrents have throttled as well

p12rob

@rogers.com
reply to Vindari

Same Problem here in East Scarborough

Badhu

@rogers.com
reply to Vindari

Im on Rogers and my speeds are okay. But I cannot connect to any trackers. Only DHT if the torrent supports it. Otherwise zilch. Can anyone help me with the tracker problem???

Thanks

Mr1
Premium
join:2002-12-25
reply to Vindari

Wow thank you god, i thought it was just me. A week and a half ago, i was able to max my connection at 1.2mbps now I'm lucky to even get a steady 100kbps I'm stuck at 6-40kbps. This is a real problem for me.

same_as_tj

@rogers.com
reply to afterburn999

Rogers trucks have very little to do with torrent speed. It is HeadEnd job to "shape the netorwk".

But guys don't forget that lot of trackers servers were shut down by police in Europe. Mostly Pirates Bay servers...

tj

afterburn999

Scarborough, ON
reply to Vindari

Anyone else try contacting Rogers and see what they have to say ? I expect most will get the same answer as i did but maybe if enough of us call they will give us a real answer.

I am not getting as slow a speed as some of you but that could be because i am using private trackers and the torrents are very well seeded. I am still getting 200kbps - 450kbps.

mb454

@rogers.com
reply to Vindari

I'm having the same problem. I noticed it this weekend, but it could have happened during last week. I can download files from http at 2.2MB/s, but all of my torrents are under 20k/s, when they usually go at max speed. I really hope someone can figure out how they are detecting it and work around it

shanemtp

join:2010-09-27
Brantford, ON
reply to Vindari

Rogers technical support finally confirmed to me today that they are throttling P2P download speeds after several calls in the last week. I complained that the agreement I accepted said they would not do that and they would only throttle upload speed; the tech guy told me to call Rogers Management Offices at the same number as technical support: 1-888-ROGERS-1. I'm in Brantford Ontario on the Extreme Plus package. I've checked speedtest.net like 100 times since this started happening about a week ago and my tests are always perfect but UTorrent maxes itself out at 300 kB/s then fluctuates at much lower speeds then that. I used to be on the 10 Mbit extreme package then I upgraded to extreme plus and this happened right away. Lol the first thing I've though of doing was changing their wikipedia page »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Hi-···Internet and then I found this thread. I switched from Bell long ago because I don't really care about upload speed as long as I can download fast, but I'll probably go back now since at least from 2AM-4:30 PM you're not restricted. I'm going to call Rogers Management tomorrow however and try to get official word on this policy change before I cancel my phone/cable/internet service that I now pay $200 per month for since changing my internet package.

Steve Jobs
American living in Canada
Premium
join:2002-06-23
canada

Let us know what they say!

Mr1
Premium
join:2002-12-25
reply to Vindari

This is complete and utter crap, I am maxed at 10kb/s sometimes i hit 40 for a second or two. I can't go on with this, its only recently this happened, as with all of you. I don't know what to do, i signed on for a year with my internet again with the retention people over the phone 4 months ago, so i cant even cancel without paying a hefty fee for a couple more months.