Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

boweasel5

join:2009-08-27
Birdsboro, PA

[DSL] Main.idx database is damaged

Using AOL 9.5. Am getting the msg:
The main.idx database is damaged. Error:65-FONL.
If I reinstall using the executable on my desktop, all is fine. I can log in and out of AOL with no problem.

But... if I restart the PC I get the main.idx damaged msg pop-up when the machine starts. And I've looked at the main.idx file in c:\ProgramData\AOL\Ca_AOL9.5\idb and it's unchanged.

What is going on and what can I do?

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

1 edit

You can do several thing to fix this.

In AOL, right click the AOL icon in the taskbar at the right hand corner of near the clock, then click on System Information. When it opens...it takes a few seconds...click on the Utilities tab at the top of the page. Click on the Quick Restore button at the bottom of the page. Click on Procedd, then follow any on-screen instructions after that.

If you donot have the AOL tray icon, click on Start, Programs and look for America Online (no version number next to it). Click on AOL System Information in the sub-menu.

In versions of AOL before 9.5:
Go to My Computer
Double-click the C: drive
Double-click on Program Files
Double-click on America Online X.0

((Note): If you have several installations of AOL, open the latest installation file, i.e., 9.0, 8.0, 8.0a, etc. 8.0a if the latest installation.)

Doulbe-click on the Backup folder
Right-click on main (or main.idx)
Left-click on COPY
Click the BACK arrow in the upper left hand corner of the window
Right-click on the IDB folder
Left-click on PASTE
Answer YES to the question.
After that is done,
scroll down on the page and fine the COMPVER file.
Right-click on it, then left-click on DELETE.
Answer YES to send it to the Recycle Bin.
Restart AOL

If the above two procedures do not work, uninstall all AOL from the computer, then reinstall it.

If you are still getting this message after uninstalling ALL of AOL from your system, there might be some corrupt files from AOL still left there. After uninstalling and BEFORE reinstalling, look in your Program Files folder for any America Online folders that may be left there. IF any are there, delete them.

*If you have AOL 9.5 , also look for America Online in the following path:

*C:
*Windows (for Windows 98/ME)
*Documents and Settings (for Windows 2000/XP)
*All Users
*Application Data
(for Win2000/XP, you may not see this folder. It is hidden. In the menu bar at the top of the screen, click on Tools, Folder Options, click on the View tab, in the Advanced Settings window, Hidden Files and Folders section, select Show Hidden Files and Folders, click Apply, then click OK. Double the Application Data folder.)
*AOL

If you see any C_America Online folders, delete them.
Reboot the computer, then reinstall AOL.
--
HP Pavilion a6750f (tweaked)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 * Mac OS Snow Leopard
»www.sociallyuncensored.com

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to boweasel5

**** LAST RESORT ****

WARNING: Use this ONLY if the above did not work & you feel you know what you are doing

1. Use AOL Uninstall to remove most AOL files
2. Manually search the C:/ drive for all remaining AOL files
3. Run Regedit to edit the registry to find and remove all AOL files EXCEPT
Address Book files.

WARNING: Editing the registry is considered a high-level tech responsibility. New users or users not familiar with the registry are cautioned NOT to do the next step. However, if you feel comfortable proceeding, then:

From Start Menu select Run
In the Run window, Type in Regedit
The registry will be displayed on the left side of a two-paneled window
Select the folder at the top
Under the Edit menu, select Find and type in AOL. click on find or OK

The Find engine will locate the first reference to AOL.

Delete this file; F3 to Find Next and continue until all files are deleted EXCEPT ADDRESS BOOK-related files

When this process is complete {you will come to understand why your pc is slower after installing AOL}, Shut down completely.

Reboot the pc

Use your AOL install disk to reinstall a new AOL system.

The install is prompt you for your logon info and open AOL for you.
Addresses will be retained.

Again, This is not a process for a novice user. The danger is selecting a file to delete that may make your system inoperative.
--
HP Pavilion a6750f (tweaked)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 * Mac OS Snow Leopard
»www.sociallyuncensored.com

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to boweasel5

Just a FYI, I just got off the phone with my stepdad who has AOL and he is getting the same "main.idz database is damaged" error. He said everything was fine yesterday but today AOL ran a bunch of autoupdates and the problem started.

Before I go over there to try to help him this weekend, would doing a System Restore eliminate the problem? I tried going through some of OldschoolDSL's instructions with him, but my stepdad is 80 and the technicalities of the computer are not his forte; it'll just be easier for me to try them out.

I don't have AOL, so I'm not that familiar with correcting it when it screws up. He said that he's getting a message to insert the setup.exe disk, so I've downloaded the current v.9.5 and I'll burn it to disk for him.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

boweasel5

join:2009-08-27
Birdsboro, PA
reply to OldschoolDSL

Actually, this was but one of three symptoms of the Windows 7 PC.

I could not use, upgrade or delete Adobe Reader.

I could not view Pictures or Documents from the Start Menu.

I ended up doing a repair install of Windows 7 which fixed all the problems.

Thank you.

Expand your moderator at work