spc
uniqs
skbrewer
join:2010-09-21
Barrie, ON

skbrewer to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn

Re: Everything MLPPP

I've signed up for Teksavvy unlimited with single line MLPPP today, and I'm psyched to be ditching Rogers. One thing I wanted to look into is having everything ready for my installation when the day comes, and I'm trying to line my router out.

After some google searches, I've read that single-link MLPPP can be enabled in DD-WRT by slipping "nomppe mp" into the MPPE Encryption setup box, which essentially sneaks it into the appropriate config file without actually enabling MPPE. Is this sufficient to enable single-link MLPPP? I'm using DD-WRT v24-sp2, build 13064M VINT std. I'm basically stuck with that build since I'm using a WRT54G v1.1, and the FAQs say the Broadcom chipset on that router requires the VINT builds.

If this isn't going to work, I can switch the router to Tomato/MLPPP, but I'd really rather not go through the trouble if I don't need to.

Also, it's funny that the majority of the searches on google referring to MLPPP and custom firmware bring you back to this forum.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by skbrewer:

I can switch the router to Tomato/MLPPP, but I'd really rather not go through the trouble if I don't need to.
I have the impression that this is point-and-click in the latest DD-WRT. Anyone?

As for switching between Tomato/MLPPP and DDWRT --> this is very simple to do, in either direction on your WRT54G. Just go to the "Firmware Upgrade" link, and point it at the firmware binary. Much simpler than the initial install of DD-WRT.

Cheers
skbrewer
join:2010-09-21
Barrie, ON

skbrewer

Ah, yeah? That's not so bad. I was thinking I'd have to do it the same way as the initial install, which, despite having done it on half a dozen routers now, is still a little harrowing when I do it the first time.

I've seen the screenshots of there being a "Multi Link" checkbox under the PPPoE settings in some versions of DD-WRT, but that checkbox isn't there in my build (listed in my previous post), which lead me to think it was in future betas only, which I can't use since they're not vintage builds.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

2 edits

mlord

Just don't neglect doing an NVRAM reset (from Tomato) after switching, or before switching back to DDWRT. Dunno how important that really is, but it all works smoothly for me (WRT54GL) when I do it that way.

And if starting from scratch, with Linksys factory firmware on the router, then the initial install of Tomato is as simple as clicking the "Firmware Upgrade" link there, too.

In fact, that's probably the easiest way to install DDWRT from scratch: use Linksys Firmware Upgrade to first install Tomato, and then.. procrastinate.

Cheers