Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Rebirth

MVM

to Rebirth

Re: Evercookie - The nightmare is here

You know the fun thing about HTLM 5 is while everyone is sitting around thinking about all the 'cool' fluff they will be able to do with it, the black hats are sitting around figuring out how they are 'use' it to grow their business. Features have a funny way of having both a good and bad side to them.

Blake

bent
and Inga
Premium Member
join:2004-10-04
Loveland, CO

bent to Khaine

Premium Member

to Khaine
said by Khaine:
said by bent:
said by Khaine:

Looks similar to »Re: Advertisers using HTML5 Features to Track Users

Its sad how much commercial the internet has become. While it has bought us amazing things like amazon, iTunes and the like, it also bought us marketing companies, spyware, tracking, profiling, data mining and so much other crap
What is Amazon if not a marketing company? iTunes as well for that matter...
They sell products, they use marketing to help in this endeavor. When I referred to marketing companies I meant things like doubleclick.
I think you're drawing a line that doesn't really exist.

gotaq
@mts.net

gotaq to Rebirth

Anon

to Rebirth
Would a program like Proxomitron in its default settings block this crap? or anything else in IE9/html 5 set up?

Or would inprivate browsing in IE8/9 be good enough to stop this junk? I have none of these programs maby some one how has them can tell me the results, thx.
Quibble28
join:2009-12-03

Quibble28 to Rebirth

to Rebirth
I had some sort of persistent cookie that had something to do with liveone or hotmail even though I never signed up. I suspect it came with the HP computer (I used to be a loyal Dell customer but got sick of the lousy customer service) and had heard HP had changed its arcane ways and had a user-friendly "personal" computer.

I fumbled about, tried to uninstall the Norton AV that came with the computer (even though I asked for none), tweaked and tinkered, did a couple system restores, and finally my new computer wouldn't work at all. All this over a cookie I couldn't get rid of.

HP customer service made things worse at first but finally a third attempt had my computer running as long as I kept Norton. So I gave up and accepted the situation: I had to subscribe to Norton AV if I wanted the HP to run smoothly.

I still had to call Norton tech support to finally rid myself of the unwanted liveone or hotmail cookie (not sure what it was called) and some other HP crap.

For now, I'm a slave to HP and Norton. If you buy an HP you may as well submit to Norton. Even the HP tech said their machines run better with Nortons. Wish I had known that before I bought a souped up HP (for a bargain).

I think Norton is forever.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by Quibble28:

If you buy an HP you may as well submit to Norton. Even the HP tech said their machines run better with Nortons.
Odd. I own two HP computers, neither of them has the first trace of any Norton/Symantec product on them (having been removed by me), yet they both run fine.

That also seems like a pretty odd statement from the HP tech-- seeing as how Norton/Symantec are purely AV/firewall/security applications, and have nothing whatsoever to do with any performance variables within the OS proper, until of course they're installed.
Yet even then the performance variables are limited to CPU and memory usage, webpage loading times (assuming they go through a real-time scanner), and that sort of thing.

Any Windows retail OS disc is produced without any Norton/Symantec product residing upon it or having been used during its building and production, as is any Linux distro.
I'd imagine Mac OS discs are sans Norton/Symantec as well.
As well, I believe a standard purchaseable OEM Windows disc also contains no Norton/Symantec product on it.

This all makes it difficult to believe that the statements and claims you've posted regarding the relationship between HP OEM OS operatability and Norton/Symantec products have any veracity to them.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

2 edits

Smokey Bear to AB57

Premium Member

to AB57
dup reply, please forget and trash.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by Smokey Bear:

dup reply, please forget and trash.
Nope, can't un-ring a bell.
But that's okay, I didn't mind reading the link.

Still, I liked mysec See Profile's link better, because it included this pic:

said by AB57:

. . a good plot for a horror movie.
»Re: Evercookie - The nightmare is here

See? Told ya!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to AB57

Premium Member

to AB57
said by AB57:

That also seems like a pretty odd statement from the HP tech-- seeing as how Norton/Symantec are purely AV/firewall/security applications, and have nothing whatsoever to do with any performance variables within the OS proper, until of course they're installed.
Yet even then the performance variables are limited to CPU and memory usage, webpage loading times (assuming they go through a real-time scanner), and that sort of thing.

Any Windows retail OS disc is produced without any Norton/Symantec product residing upon it or having been used during its building and production, as is any Linux distro.
I'd imagine Mac OS discs are sans Norton/Symantec as well.
As well, I believe a standard purchaseable OEM Windows disc also contains no Norton/Symantec product on it.

This all makes it difficult to believe that the statements and claims you've posted regarding the relationship between HP OEM OS operatability and Norton/Symantec products have any veracity to them.
Maybe it all absurd in this case, but soon it will be the HP, Dell, etc. tech saying that you cannot remove McAfee and expect the computer to work properly....that is assuming you have an Intel processor!
Quibble28

Quibble28 to AB57

to AB57
I've talked with about a half dozen HP techs when my computer kept crashing (turned out to be some glitch in HP or Norton that wouldn't let my graphics card driver update and I got a blank screen). Finally got a sweet customer rep from India who figured it all out. I could barely understand her but she was a computer wizard.

Most, if not all, even a supervisor, encouraged me to subscribe to Norton, a couple wanted to sell it to me on the spot over the phone! I'm sure others have called HP tech support and been given the Norton pitch.

I bought my HP without any AV program yet it came with a free 30 day trial subscription to Norton which is the equivalent of having it fully installed. I've uninstalled Norton on other machines but had nothing but trouble on my first HP.

I finally gave up and decided to just go with the cards I was dealt and everything has worked great since. I'm not a good enough geek to get around all the pre-existing software/hardware conflicts to do a clean uninstall anyway. I mean, I wouldn't know what to do in "safe mode" and don't go near the registry. I'm the lowest form of computing life.

And yes, it was an HP supervisor who said HP's run better with Norton - that they are a "good fit" or something. I've read comments by other HP users on other forums that they needed to call HP or Norton to do a clean uninstall, they are so locked at the hip.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by Quibble28:

I've talked with about a half dozen HP techs when my computer kept crashing (turned out to be some glitch in HP or Norton that wouldn't let my graphics card driver update and I got a blank screen). . . .

Most, if not all, even a supervisor, encouraged me to subscribe to Norton . . . .

I've uninstalled Norton on other machines but had nothing but trouble on my first HP. . . .

I finally gave up and decided to just go with the cards I was dealt and everything has worked great since. I'm not a good enough geek to get around all the pre-existing software/hardware conflicts to do a clean uninstall anyway. . . .

And yes, it was an HP supervisor who said HP's run better with Norton - that they are a "good fit" or something.
All this may be true.
Which just means that you need someone who knows what they're doing sitting in front of the machine and getting it straight for you.

I agree-- the average user might have a difficult time making Norton/Symantec, McAfee, or possibly any other pre-installed software go away.
Techs are also liable to say nonsense things just to make their own lives easier.

HP computers and Norton/Symantec software are in no way 'joined at the hip'.
Experienced and skilled individuals can easily (relatively speaking, that is) get Norton/Symantec software off of a computer and the machine is no worse the wear for it-- HP brand or no.

I would also agree that in your capacity as an average user and unskilled tech, you're better off leaving well enough alone.
If you know someone you're confident can deal with the problem and want the software gone, that's great.
Otherwise, yes, let it be.
Quibble28

Quibble28

I love sites like this even though I don't understand the details. I've actually helped others solve some computer problems, hopping from one tech site to another. Puzzles intrigue me.

I agree I should have help but my best friend used to be HP certified, (back when you needed a special key to open it), in charge of bank and even police department networks, and every time I let him near my computer he completely screwed it up.

Not just me, but another friend with a business, let him "fix" his network and one fix led to another. Many computer "wizards" like him can do wonders but need to be around later to endlessly tweak and adjust their fixes. He must have made a mint at the bank and police department fixing his own errors, until he finally blew town.

Usually the local geek's help is like herpes - it's forever. I've probably helped more people just goggling and problem solving on my own, always trying to leave a minimal footprint on their system. I'm talking about someone with half a clue helping the clueless.

If you really know what you're doing, and don't leave loose ends only you can fix later, I applaud you.

I just wish more of you experts had some tolerance for the semi-clueless, like me.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by Quibble28:

I agree I should have help but my best friend used to be HP certified, (back when you needed a special key to open it), in charge of bank and even police department networks, and every time I let him near my computer he completely screwed it up.

Not just me, but another friend with a business, let him "fix" his network and one fix led to another. Many computer "wizards" like him can do wonders but need to be around later to endlessly tweak and adjust their fixes. He must have made a mint at the bank and police department fixing his own errors, until he finally blew town.

Usually the local geek's help is like herpes - it's forever.
Yeah, I understand that, too.
Not everybody with a piece of paper necessarily has the skills the paper says they're supposed to.
Economists don't always know what they're talking about, either.
Lawyers can do hack work.
Doctors sometimes kill more people than they cure.

Thankfully, there are also people out there who know exactly what they're doing, and do their jobs properly and correctly.
I guess the trick is determining who's in which group, and allying your trust accordingly.
I just wish more of you experts had some tolerance for the semi-clueless, like me.
I'm not a computer expert.
Maybe compared to my Aunt Mildred I am, but compared to many others I don't know squadoosh.

I am happy to say though, that the people whose computers I've sat in front of to diagnose and make repairs and corrections on, all seem pleased with the results.
There have been plenty of 'thank yous' and other rewards, and so far no finger-pointings of 'you made it worse' or 'you broke it'.

I don't know anything about plumbing, for example.
But when I help my plumber with his computer, I don't sneer at his lack of computer skills, because when he drops by to fix my faucet leak, I don't want him sneering at me over my lack of skills in that area.

You're not 'clueless'. Your assessment of your own skill level proves that out.
Your willingness to learn and openness to advancing your skills is exemplified by your words and your participation in these forums.

I wish you the best with your computer ventures and experiences.

This line of discussion, however, seems to have gotten off track of the original topic of what makes for a good horror movie 'evercookies'.
Quibble28

Quibble28

thanks for your kind words.

May the real discussion about evercookies commence!

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 edit

ashrc4

Premium Member

said by Quibble28:

thanks for your kind words.

May the real discussion about evercookies commence!
Not much to discuss. The real exploit still requires flash to be installed.....as HTML 5 is set/potentially replace flash then there is not much at present to concern ourselves with (in regards to firefox that is).

add-on anyone.

bmartin
@sbcglobal.net

bmartin to Rebirth

Anon

to Rebirth
Does anyone know how to check your Blackberry to see what tracking cookies have been set from browsing the internet via my phone?
retired17
Premium Member
join:2007-01-24
Anaheim, CA

retired17 to Rebirth

Premium Member

to Rebirth
I use the FlashBlock plugin for FireFox. Since it doesn't allow Flash code to run unless I click on the 'F' symbol, will I be safe from the Evercookie?

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by retired17:

I use the FlashBlock plugin for FireFox. Since it doesn't allow Flash code to run unless I click on the 'F' symbol, will I be safe from the Evercookie?
Only until you allow Flash on a site.
If that site uses the 'evercookie', you'll then have it/them.
ahz001
join:2010-09-26
Colorado Springs, CO

ahz001 to retired17

to retired17
said by retired17:

Even if you block all Flash or uninstall Flash, you can still get evercookies in the other places it stores them. That's what makes evercookies so persistent: blocking or deleting one storage location is not enough. That said, with the proper tools, they are easy to clean. I wrote a cleaner, BleachBit, which now deletes evercookies in Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome .
Synthesis
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
Baton Rouge, LA

Synthesis to martg

Premium Member

to martg
I installed BetterPrivacy but I'm a little confused as what to do when it asks me for flash-data directory. Any help?

Also am I "safe" while using flash with BetterPrivacy installed?
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to Quibble28

Premium Member

to Quibble28
Here's a link to a Norton Removal Tool. You have to pick which version of Norton you have and download the tool.

»us.norton.com/support/kb ··· 133834EN

I think the instructions should appear along with the download for the tool that you select. I hope this helps. Norton has always been known to be difficult to remove.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra to Grail Knight

Premium Member

to Grail Knight
Click for full size
can't put it
Hi Grail Knight,

I just downloaded and installed CCleaner and I'm trying to put your excludes and includes into the settings. I am not able to type in the path (I don't know why) and when I tried to put in the Exclude - instead of getting "settings.sol" I have "sys\*.*" which leads me to believe everything in "sys" will be retained - I don't want that, but I can't change it to settings.sol. I tried edit, and, again, I can't type in the box. (When I was browsing to settings.sol there was some other file in there.)

I just went in to my admin account and deleted the file in the settings.sol and tried to put in the path to settings.sol (browsing) and I got the same results. Again, I tried to edit it and type the correct path, but couldn't.

I'm attaching a screenshot.

Have you got any ideas of why I can't put that in?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

When you went to exclude the .sol file did you chose the File Option then browse to settings.sol?

It looks like you Selected the Exclude Folder which is why you are seeing this: *.*

Remove what you have in Exclude and then go back and select:

Add - File

Browser to the location of the settings.sol & add that file.
----------------------------------------
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Click for full size
browsed to settings.sol but it doesn't go into exclude area
Hi,
I initially tried adding it as a file, but when I had a problem, I tried folder.

I'm still having a problem. I tried to add this in a standard account (CCleaner doesn't even show up in that account, I have to search for it). I was planning to put the exclude and include files for Flash for both Admin and Standard User - I don't know if that would work or not, but I can't even get the file in. I took another screenshot. From the browse window I got to settings.sol. The bottom says open or cancel, so I pick open. It doesn't go into the exclude area of CCleaner.

I may give up on this, but if I can get it, do the includes objects and system\sys get put in as folders?

Here's another screenshot. I had the same results in the Admin account. (Is it normal for CCleaner not to show up in standard accounts? Also, when I search for it the program opens, when I click on it in the admin account I get a UAC.)

Looking at my screenshot, I think maybe I'm suppose to click on settings.sol and then open. I'll try that.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Clicking on the settings.sol is what you want to do.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you. I got the settings.sol in for both the admin account and standard user. When I tried the shared objects (I used file), instead of getting shared objects I got a file like XDS##W which is in shared objects and is empty. I then tried to add it as a folder, I got a warning and did put it into the includes, but it had the *.* so I removed it.

Do you think having the exclude is good enough?

Edit: I ran CCleaner. Nothing broke It removed one empty file in the .sys folder. It didn't remove anything in the standard user account, so I ran it there. It left one file in the sys folder (91kb) - that may be a setting file for no storage, I'm not sure. but I manually deleted it.

Thank you for your help with this.

Sincerely, Libra

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

You are welcome.