Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

1 recommendation

SparkChaser to Rebirth

Premium Member

to Rebirth

Re: Evercookie - The nightmare is here

a word of warning going to samy.pl/evercookie with java enabled will get you a bunch of his 'evercookies'

Khaine
join:2003-03-03
Australia

1 edit

Khaine

It looks pretty simple to block. All you need to match on is

<script type="text/javascript" src="evercookie.js"></script>

or even the function call to evercookie()

That won't stop people who obfuscate the code, and I'm sure there are more sophisticated methods of detecting and removing these 'evercookies'.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

a word of warning going to samy.pl/evercookie with java enabled will get you a bunch of his 'evercookies'
How? I don't have Flash and I don't allow any kind of cache on my browsers (well, except IE6 because I have to there but I don't use that browser except for speed tests). So, I went to his site on Opera but I have no flash on Opera and no cache. So, how are his cookies set?

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by Mele20:
said by SparkChaser:

How? I don't have Flash and I don't allow any kind of cache on my browsers (well, except IE6 because I have to there but I don't use that browser except for speed tests). So, I went to his site on Opera but I have no flash on Opera and no cache. So, how are his cookies set?
Sorry, I did mean you personally. I meant the average user. Ummm, like me

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
quote:
How? I don't have Flash
How is that possible when in the other thread you said you have flash installed in IE?

»Re: Adobe Security Advisory for Flash Player CVE-2010-2884

If you have that flash evercookie then it seems that one of your programs that requires IE components to work may be downloading the flash evercookie.

Have you checked your programs that may use flash components to function to see if one of them may be downloading this cookie?

I do not see a big deal about this myself. YMMV
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Yes, I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I meant that I don't have Flash installed on Opera which is the browser I used when going to the evercookie site.

The only program I know that uses Flash I have on Vista where I don't have FP installed. That is Avast which uses Flash for its ad for the free version. I wish they wouldn't do that. I really like Avast 5 and its GUI except for that and that will keep me from ever using Avast on a computer where I have to have Flash installed on one browser. Many times, I have removed Flash from IE6 for long periods (until I have to do speed tests because of a problem) and not had any problems with programs so I suspect none of them need Flash components.