uniqs

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Re: bathroom exhaust- through roof or soffit?

You should run it out the soffit if you want mold.

Otherwise, run it to the roof and make sure that everything is insulated.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by jjoshua:

You should run it out the soffit if you want mold.

Otherwise, run it to the roof and make sure that everything is insulated.
Thanks for all the helpful feedback... seems that roof is the consensus choice, but I do have heavy snow issues, and I read articles like this one that recommends NOT to use roof vents:

»www.inspectapedia.com/in ··· tion.htm

Are they wrong? I guess it's in perspective, but I don't want to regret my choice...

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua
Ours both vent out the soffit. I don't know what mold you are talking about. We have no problems.

Just to be clear, you are talking about using the proper soffit vent fixtures, right? Not just dumping it in the soffit?
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Lurch77:

Ours both vent out the soffit. I don't know what mold you are talking about. We have no problems.

Just to be clear, you are talking about using the proper soffit vent fixtures, right? Not just dumping it in the soffit?
I'm talking about using a soffit vent fixture like this one:
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N ··· Id=10053

EDIT: if anyone has any recommendations for products, please post!

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

That is what we have for each bathroom. As I said, so far no issues with them. They flow well and I have not noticed any moisture problems in the attic around the venting or soffit.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Thanks for all the helpful feedback... seems that roof is the consensus choice, but I do have heavy snow issues, and I read articles like this one that recommends NOT to use roof vents
They're cautioning against using an existing roof vent with a long-run droopy duct. If you install a new roof vent with one-way flap directly above your fan, that would be ideal, provided you install and properly seal the new vent against rain leaks.

Soffit ventilation is OK, but soffits are meant as air intake, not exhaust. In the winter, there is concern that the moisture will "hang out" under the soffit and cause moisture issues.

»www.askthebuilder.com/66 ··· ns.shtml

I am planning on installing a fan this weekend, using a rigid duct through the roof, and then insulating the duct with spray foam. I'll post back with lessons learned!
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by rjackal:

They're cautioning against using an existing roof vent with a long-run droopy duct. If you install a new roof vent with one-way flap directly above your fan, that would be ideal, provided you install and properly seal the new vent against rain leaks.
I'm not sure I agree with you, the site said:

"Avoid through-roof bath vent exits: Our photo (left) shows a typical attempt at venting a bath into a ridge vent - this direction of vent exit may seem convenient but we don't like it much.

In the photo (left) the droopy flex-duct will certainly invite bath moisture to condense and run back to the home's ceiling rather than exiting at the ridge.

Our sketch (below) shows a bath vent fan exiting up through the roof.

The through-roof vent approach gives us another roof penetration, a possible leak spot, and it almost assures that condensing moisture will drip down the vent duct and into the bathroom ceiling."

I agree that soffit isn't perfect, but for the 2 quick showers a day taken in that bathroom, shouldn't it be sufficient?
cwm1276
join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL

cwm1276

A roof vent shold not be directed into the ridge vent as they are saying. The vent should have it's own vent on the roof as your video shows.