join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Re: Rypien goes after fans

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Rypien was pissed off that he lost his fight earlier....what a dummy.
Brad Staubitz played junior for the 67s, and he was a tough SOB back then. He's not a 1-dimensional goon, but a really solid 2-way player who may not have great scoring hands but is a gritty guy to play against. Not dirty, but a really good 3rd line checker, and a guy who takes care of himself pretty well if the gloves get dropped. I agree Rypien lost the fight, but it was a tough customer he was up against.
--
The thoughts expressed in the above post are those of the poster, and can only be attributed to his state of mind at the time of posting.
Join Team Helix

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

1 edit
When I first saw him fighting,I immediately thought he had lost it and was taking Booregard on.
--
~~Get our troops home...now!!~~

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by ZZZZZZZ:

When I first saw him fighting,I immediately thought he had lost it and was taking Booregard on.
of course, Rypien isn't a tough guy at all...Pavel Datsyuk could probably kick his ass.
--
Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realise that you can't eat money - Native American proverb

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
He'll get the book thrown at him, IMO.

15-20 games is my prediction.
--
BUCK FELL ,,!,,('-'),,!,,

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
i agree what he did was wrong, but 15-20 games is pretty steep...i say 5, maybe 10 max...now, if he punched the guy, that would be a different story...i say, give him a 5 game suspension and have the fan pick a local charity that Rypien has to donate $50k to.
--
Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realise that you can't eat money - Native American proverb

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to dirtyjeffer
quote:
of course, Rypien isn't a tough guy at all...Pavel Datsyuk could probably kick his ass.
What are you smoking?
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by ZZZZZZZ:

What are you smoking?
nothing...you're the one in BC.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BtcrFmF650

Rick Rypien usually fights nobodies, and when he does fight some decent players, rarely does anything.
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
»www.hockeyfights.com/players/1088
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
thank you for proving my point...for the 09/10 season, he had 16 fights...yes, a couple of "well knowns" like Brad May (who's at least 5 years past his prime), Cam Janssen, and Chris Neil...but then you fill it out with a coupe of fights with Brandon Prust (who i used to watch regularly when he played with the Knights), Boris Valabik, Cody McLeod, and Chris Durno.

i am not sure how you type the "farting/raspberry" sound.
--

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
DURNO!!!!

Savant
Premium
join:2001-08-12
Toronto
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

Cox: Love affair with shootout waning
»www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/ar···t-waning

Maybe it's just me, but I was never a fan of the shootout to begin with. I didn't like the idea of a 'team' game being decided by a one on one shootout.

The stats are pretty remarkable. In all the games last season, 1 out of every 4 ended in a tie. Of those tie games, roughly 2/3rds went to a shootout.

First off, the question begs to be asked. Is the problem really the shootout, or is it a matter that it is too hard to score on net? While I would like to see the goalie pads downsized a bit, I still think that we would be seeing plenty of tie games.

Aside from the suggestions in the article, (about 3 on 3 - which I like) what about making the points actually matter?

As it stands now there is no real incentive to stick your neck out in overtime. Just coast until the shootout and get your 1 point, then hope your best guys can beat the opposing netminder in the shootout.

What if they take away the two points if no team wins in overtime, *and* take away the 1 point for an overtime loss..? So if the game goes to a shootout the winning team gets 1 point, the losers get none. Something tells me that teams will be fighting to get that extra goal in overtime, since failure to do so may mean NO points at all, while getting a goal will mean a 2 point win. Just taking away the point for an overtime loss isn't enough, since it won't make teams play any more aggressively. They may play more defensively to guard against the loss.

However you slice it, I want to see more games decided in overtime. If that means shaking things up, let's go it. If we have to do a shootout, perhaps even try and make that more interesting. Like make the first three shots 2 on 1 breakaways, instead of just shooter versus goalie.

Shootouts were interesting when they were uncommon, but they happen far too often for my liking...
--

Could be better, could be worse, could be Monday...

Clipper

join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON
said by Savant:

Like make the first three shots 2 on 1 breakaways, instead of just shooter versus goalie.

Shootouts were interesting when they were uncommon, but they happen far too often for my liking...
Another interesting idea I heard once was using the shootout scoring mechanism, but do 5 v 4 (or even 5 on 3) 1 minute power plays instead.

So home team decides if they want to defend or attack first, face off in the defending teams end, 1 minute powerplay. If they score, the other team needs to do so as well to continue. If they fail to score, other team wins.

At the very least it turns the gimmick into a team gimmick instead of an individual one.

Personally I'd just like to see 4 on 4 go until someone scores. If they can do it baseball, they can do it in hockey. Most games would be over by 10 minutes and anything longer would be like seeing a 16 inning baseball game, doesn't happen often but would really add to the suspense when it does.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to ZZZZZZZ
What a comedy of errors in the Hawks game last night.

Luongo stands on his head in the regulation and OT,then turns into a fucking sieve in the bloody shootout again!

He shouldn't be allowed to play another shootout!~

Samuelson dekes Turco for the tying goal and misses the entire empty net.........what a wasted great game !
--

dissapbell

@dsl.bell.ca
I know its not and doesn't happen in NHL, but looks like it was fixed.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Clipper
said by Clipper:

Personally I'd just like to see 4 on 4 go until someone scores. If they can do it baseball, they can do it in hockey. Most games would be over by 10 minutes and anything longer would be like seeing a 16 inning baseball game, doesn't happen often but would really add to the suspense when it does.
An interesting idea, but I'd prefer 5 or 10 minutes of 5-on-5 overtime and if nobody scores, then it ends in a tie. I don't know why there's a problem with a game ending in a tie if that's what the score is. The NFL does this, so why does the NHL insist there must be a winner (like baseball)?
--
The thoughts expressed in the above post are those of the poster, and can only be attributed to his state of mind at the time of posting.
Join Team Helix

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Kardinal:

An interesting idea, but I'd prefer 5 or 10 minutes of 5-on-5 overtime and if nobody scores, then it ends in a tie. I don't know why there's a problem with a game ending in a tie if that's what the score is. The NFL does this, so why does the NHL insist there must be a winner (like baseball)?
Yeah. I don't know what was really wrong with the old system, of overtime and a tie. make it 4 on 4 so it's easier to score and end the game with a winner. The loser of OT should get no points like it was in the past. You LOST. you deserve nothing.

I was never a fan of the OTL points when they first came into play in the '99 season or thereabouts, and definitely am not a fan of the shootout.

Gimmicks. But Bettman likes his gimimcks and unsustainable franchises in certain areas.
--

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
said by HiVolt:

But Bettman likes his gimimcks and unsustainable franchises in certain areas.
One and the same, in my opinion.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to HiVolt
The problem with the old system was that teams played for the tie, content with the single point. Why go all out when you could lose the game and lose the point you already had in OT?

Frankly, I wouldn't mind keeping the format the same, but eliminating the loser point. You win, you get 2 points. You lose, you get nothing.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
The loser point is the problem. It does not count as a loss, and therefore doesnt apply in a tiebreaker situation, I don't think.

Also a team that say for the sake of argument has a record of 10-10-0 (no overtime or shootout losses), will have less points and not make a playoff than a team that has 10-5-5 record.

Both teams lost the same amount of games.
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
how about make wins during regulation worth 3 points...wins in OT or a shootout are worth 2 points and the loser in OT or shootout get 1 point (lie a tie would be worth)...that way, you are still rewarding the winning team, but the team that can play 60 minutes and still end up a draw gets something over the team that loses 5-1 during regulation.
--

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC

1 recommendation

I think the simplest answer is the best. They play until the tie is broken, just like in playoff hockey. Fine, don't want it to be 5 v 5, then make it 4 v 4. winner gets 2, loser gets 0. So much easier that way. There's none of this 1 point crap and fans get to see hockey.

Either that, or it ends in a tie (they do it for soccer, no reason it can't be applied in hockey). A win is 2 points, a tie splits the 2 points with 1 each.

Savant
Premium
Toronto
You can't have unlimited overtimes. As much as I would like it, the reality is that they often have back-to-back games and/or planes to catch etc. It wouldn't be possible from a scheduling basis.

The original reason why teams demanded the one point for an OT loss was since they were used to tie games where they got one point for the tie. So they didn't want to give up the one point. However, the fact that they are not giving up that one point means there is no incentive to win. If anything will change in scoring, just make it one point for a win and nothing for a loss. That will make it very competitive, and teams will fight for that win.

However, I REALLY don't want games decided (point wise) on a shootout. This is a team game and the teams should decide the score.

BTW: Rypien got 6 games...
»sports.nationalpost.com/2010/10/···x-games/
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Pffft, 6 games. That's weak.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
Why?

quote:
Vancouver Canucks forward Rick Rypien was suspended for six games on Friday, for making physical contact with a fan in Minnesota on Tuesday night. The National Hockey League also announced Friday that the Vancouver Canucks have been fined $25,000 US.
What did he do that was any worse,than any of the 2 game suspensions?

This is BS that the Wild get off scot free from not making sure their fans are seperated from the players.
--

Clipper

Stoney Creek, ON
said by ZZZZZZZ:

What did he do that was any worse,than any of the 2 game suspensions?
From the standpoint of the actual physical altercation, it's not worse.

The problem is, he broke the invisible barrier between players and fans. He should have gotten more. He reached out and made physical contact with the fan. That's worse than spraying water or throwing a towel at a fan.

Should have been more IMO. Players absolutely cannot, for any reason whatsoever engage a fan in anger.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
I disagree..........I like Domi's reaction.

And now the cowardly little puke is threatening legal action ........please!
--

Clipper

Stoney Creek, ON
said by ZZZZZZZ:

I disagree..........I like Domi's reaction.
When a fan enters the players area.. It's game on as far as I'm concerned.

I remember seeing a video from a football game recently where a fan ran onto the field during the game and a player absolutely laid him out with a tackle. I'm good with that.

When a player goes into the stands, the player needs to be dealt with. I think it's reasonable to suggest that at the minnesota game, the staff didn't have enough time to pull out the hood that most of those tunnels have once they realized Rypien was being sent to the dressing room.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

This is BS that the Wild get off scot free from not making sure their fans are seperated from the players.
As far as I know, most NHL arenas do have the 'canopy' that is extended for the visiting players, out to their bench, so that they are covered during the in-and-out from the locker room between periods (to avoid beer drops and the like). I've also seen fans at the railing next to the walkways but not plexiglass or some sort of other barrier between the two.
--
Join Team Helix

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
reply to ZZZZZZZ
The canopy is there. This guy was just in front of it. Rypien screwed up. Six games is reasonable.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NrPP2CnidI

--
Even when opportunity knocks, you still have to get off your ass and open the door.

Savant
Premium
Toronto
It looks like the canopy isn't extended all the way. You can see material bunched up at the front. I wonder if it got pushed back to fit that stick rack on the side there.
--