uniqs
share rss forum feed

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to dirtyjeffer

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

The NHLPA would take serious isse with dropping the bottom 6 teams too as that would eliminate member jobs. The owners have a solution at their fingertips, but are too greedy to implement: revenue sharing.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by shaner:

The NHLPA would take serious isse with dropping the bottom 6 teams too as that would eliminate member jobs. The owners have a solution at their fingertips, but are too greedy to implement: revenue sharing.

They've had revenue sharing since the last lockout ended.

Still, revenue sharing doesn't make sense to be propping up franchises in terrible markets year after year.
--

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

said by HiVolt:

They've had revenue sharing since the last lockout ended.

Still, revenue sharing doesn't make sense to be propping up franchises in terrible markets year after year.

Very true; it should be seen as a temporary help (a few seasons) to a team that is struggling / in the middle of a rebuild, like Washington or Pittsburgh a several years back. It should also be bigger than it is now, as it's currently something like $15M / yr that is shared revenue, while in MLB/NFL (which are often quoted by Bettman as examples of where the player share is lower than the old NHL CBA).

Of course, increased revenue sharing would be helped by moving teams from markets where they aren't working (Florida, Phoenix, etc), like Atlanta was, to places where they have a better chance of being profitable and aiding the whole league by not needing a boost and by increasing total revenue. Seattle, OKC, Hamilton/Markham, Quebec City......they all look to be a better bet for the league.

Unfortunately, both of these things have one obstacle that is likely impossible to overcome: Gary Bettman's ego. He was the one who pushed for southern expansion, and to move teams from failing markets means he made a mistake. He has already been 'humiliated' by Winnipeg, and for someone with as much 'little man syndrome' as he exhibits, further team relocations (rather than league expansion with the hundreds of millions in expansion fees) are going to be a very major uphill climb.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

yoyomhz

join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA

»www.khltv.com/

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

1 edit
reply to ZZZZZZZ

So it seems they had a couple of days of meetings last week, and what did they talk about? Drug testing, and other crap! Apparently because no one has anything to say about the money issues. And now talks are off again.

I can imagine some business school in the future using this as a classic case study in how NOT to negotiate anything. It really is high time that Buttman was out of there and maybe taking Daly with him, and I'm starting to wonder about Fehr.
--
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

Wolfie, I was told both parties agreed to work on settling everything
BUT the money issues. So drug testing, etc are their task at hand
right now.

FaxCap

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Ahh, its good to hear Joe Bowen's voice!

Toronto Marlies vs Rochester Americans on Snet1...

--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to FaxCap

But all you're saying is that they did this pointless exercise because they had mutually agreed to do it. It's still pointless. As Don Fehr said himself, if the money issues were settled, they could hammer out the rest of it in a few hours. And even if they didn't, it wouldn't be a reason for either a strike or a lockout. It sounds like incompetents on both sides are doing this in order to appear to be "doing something." I get it. If I was Buttman or Daly or Fehr, I'd rather be perceived as "doing something" instead of being perceived as collecting a big fat paycheque for sitting on my ass, and having my incompetence cost both sides hundreds of millions of dollars while pissing off the fans that are the lifeblood of the game.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

Rochester vs the Marlies is being shown on Sportsnet 1 out here right now.

BUT they've got Greg Millen announcing,.............I hate this clown.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Marlies win the opener 3-1.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

Yup pretty good game.......Cody Hodgson was playing for the Marlies,how does that work?
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

Well CBC messes up again........they're only showing the Classic games on CBC-Ottawa........WTF is that,dumb shits.
--

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Yup pretty good game.......Cody Hodgson was playing for the Marlies,how does that work?

???

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

But all you're saying is that they did this pointless exercise because they had mutually agreed to do it. It's still pointless. As Don Fehr said himself, if the money issues were settled, they could hammer out the rest of it in a few hours.

I hear you but I like the fact they are at least talking unlike the last strike.

FaxCap

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to dirtyjeffer

»www.amerks.com/team.asp

He played on the Rochester team..........makes more sense.
--

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Well CBC messes up again........they're only showing the Classic games on CBC-Ottawa........WTF is that,dumb shits.

Wow talk about awesome memories the 1979 final series game Montreal Vs Boston to see who went on to the finals.
Thank you CBC!!! Loved it.

One comment, so many players without helmets AND NO CHEAP head shots, stick work etc. They played hockey not goonery. Many of those players would be out of the game with serious head injuries if trying to play the game today or kicked out for fighting as no one put up with stupid shit.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

CBC did show it ,just at 8:00 pacific time..........so caught the last period and OT.

It definitely was different hockey back then..........the goalies are probably the biggest difference now,although Gilbert made some great saves in that game.
--

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

zzzzzzzzzzz its on the cbc website if you want to replay it.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Here comes the spin......

Watch for the new league messaging buzz term: "Shared sacrifice."

I'll take this whole story with a grain of salt, at least for now, but if it is in fact true it's marketing/spin/damage control/messaging at it's finest:

Inside A Secret NHL Focus Group: How A Top GOP Strategist Is Helping Hockey Owners Craft Their Lockout Propaganda

You're going to hear a lot about "shared sacrifice" from the NHL in the days and weeks to come. That's the word from inside a secret emergency PR focus group, in which a top Republican Party strategist tested pro-ownership messages on a captive audience of hockey fans. One of those fans shared the documents with us, for a sneak preview of the propaganda campaign the NHL will be unloading on the public as the lockout drags on. Here's a look at the bullshit on the menu before the league serves it to you.

Get your shovels ready, although this one may be so much manure you'll need a snowblower. Or a backhoe.
--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium

Wow, Frank Luntz, the epitome of evil! So now PR guru for Buttman's NHL is the devil incarnate!

The funny thing is how this was so incompetently handled that the whole focus group package got leaked, along with Luntz's involvement. Same kind of incompetence that caused this whole lockout. It seems that under Buttman, the NHL can't do anything right!

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to ZZZZZZZ

NHL propaganda campaign???

Inside A Secret NHL Focus Group: How A Top GOP Strategist Is Helping Hockey Owners Craft Their Lockout Propaganda
»deadspin.com/5951872/inside-a-se···opaganda

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium

What was the purpose of posting the exact same link that Kardinal See Profile just posted?

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

KHL hockey

Click for full size
The Russians are sure enjoying this lockout.

Most of the players who went to Europe were all CHOSEN AS CAPTAINS!!!

Wonder how that will sit when they all leave?
--

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

Wow, Frank Luntz, the epitome of evil! So now PR guru for Buttman's NHL is the devil incarnate!

The devil's spindoctoring...errrr.... official response to the leak:

»twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/25···/1/large

MEMORANDUM
TO: Interested parties
DATE: October 15th, 2012
RE: NHL Focus Group Statement

Material from a focus group I conducted was made public earlier today in an attempt to discredit the efforts by the NHL to reach an agreement with the players on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The research was no different from what I and others in my field have done for sports teams, sports leagues, and players' unions for many, many years.

The objective: to understand exactly what fans think and precisely what they want. In this case the fans were very clear: they want the teams and the union to reach an agreement quickly so that they can get the hockey they want and deserve

That's a pile of steaming.....coil....so big that I need a front-end loader to move it.
--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Re: KHL hockey

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Wonder how that will sit when they all leave?

The Russians apparently don't expect them to be leaving any time soon!

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to Wolfie00

Re: NHL propaganda campaign???

said by Wolfie00:

What was the purpose of posting the exact same link that Kardinal See Profile just posted?

Just to piss you off.

Since I don't follow this thread, but had stumbled on the article, I thought I'd contribute it for those of you interested in hockey.

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ZZZZZZZ

CKNW is reporting this!!!!!!

This is day 31 of the NHL lockout and today the owners made a
move. They are offering the players a 50/50 split of revenue and are
proposing an 82-game schedule starts November 2nd. The NHLPA
hasn't yet responded.

FaxCap

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

I don't see them accepting 50/50 right off the bat... I say teh NHLPA proposes somewhere in the neighbourhood of 52/48 and it'll end up 51/49 Players/Owners.

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Now this....

NHLPA head Donald Fehr says the union's executive committee
will discuss the owners' latest offer this afternoon, then get back to
the league. The owners are offering the players a 50/50 split of
revenue and an 82-game schedule to begin Novemer 2nd.

FaxCap

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

I think the time is ticking to still have a full season, albeit a bit compacted....

I dont think this will end this quickly though... Fehr must have something up his sleeve.