normal

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to HiVolt

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

Toronto at #6? That must be the "early season syndrome"! If the simulation is any good we should see a total collapse in a month or two!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Wolfie00:

Toronto at #6? That must be the "early season syndrome"! If the simulation is any good we should see a total collapse in a month or two!

Yeah but what does it say about the Habs in #1. This thing is totally messed up.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ
I'm not a fan of Kypreos, but his article makes a couple of interesting, and somewhat preturbing, points (full story):

Worse is the perception that only three people control all the power and information when it comes to the future of the NHL, that a new deal hinges solely on Bettman, Bob Batterman (lead counsel for the NHL) and Jeremy Jacobs (Boston Bruins owner and chairman of the NHL board). Everyone else is on the outside looking in when it comes to power in the league.

Ask many NHL owners outside of this small circle and if they answer truthfully they'll tell you they know as much of what's going on as you or me. Some teams will also tell you a two- to three-year slope toward 50/50 split works just fine, and to potentially burn the whole village down in an effort to keep fighting for teams like Phoenix and Florida is just plain wrong. Like McCabe and Walker in 2004, many owners' frustration lies in not having their voice heard when it matters most.

As the Red Wings and Jimmy Devellano found out the hard way, it's okay to be seen, just don't be heard. Even if an owner like Detroit's Mike Ilitch wanted to sit in on negotiations with the PA he wouldn't be allowed. That's a tough pill to swallow considering the financial stake he and all owners have in a $3.3 billion operation.

From here on in the biggest question may not be the resolve of the players -- as it was in 2004 -- but rather how many owners will continue to sit on the sidelines when they already know they now have a deal on the table they can accept.

--
"Pro amicis mortui amicis vivimus" (We live in the hearts of friends for whom we died)
- inscription on the Memorial in the Canadian War Cemetery at Groesbeek, the Netherlands

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
The NHL is an amateurish backwoods league that has grown into a multi-billion dollar business but hasn't yet learned to manage itself as such. No professional league would tolerate a smarmy incompetent like Bettman.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

I'm not a fan of Kypreos, but his article makes a couple of interesting, and somewhat preturbing, points (full story):

??

why don't you like Kipper?

bettman, you just have to get to know him.

--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Styvas
said by Styvas:

Okay, to be fair, that's how it's correctly pronounced. Plenty of people say it with the 'a' rather than the 'o' sound. It's like Nguyen, which I understand to be correctly pronounced Gwen, but is often butchered (and not surprisingly so). Anyways... I digress.

Nguyen is pronounced "New-Yen".

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by Wolfie00:

No professional league would tolerate a smarmy incompetent like Bettman.

....much less continue to renew his $8M contract for another 5 years. However, until the owners all band together and don't give the 8 votes that Bettman needs for "unanimity", nothing is going to change with how Bettman is acting right now. They'd have to do it in private as that's the rules (nobody speaks but Bettman or Daly), but they could do it if they got their collective sticks on the and the collective will was there. Until they do this, and/or Jones is ousted as chair of the board, it's really Jones/Bettman running everything how they want it.

said by dirtyjeffer:

why don't you like Kipper?

He comes across pretty smarmy, I-know-better-than-all-of-you-because-I-used-to-play-in-the-NHL a lot of the time, and that rubs me the wrong way. The attitude he projects is that of a belligerent former enforcer, not a former NHL star player, and the difference is between someone who's 'gonna make me agree' and someone who's going to put forth an intelligent and convincing argument for their point of view. I guess he's a bit like Don Cherry: some like, some don't. The difference is that Cherry is smarter than Kypreos thinks he himself is.
--
"Pro amicis mortui amicis vivimus" (We live in the hearts of friends for whom we died)
- inscription on the Memorial in the Canadian War Cemetery at Groesbeek, the Netherlands

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
Heh, Bettman has that "I just killed your mother and I'm going to get away with it" look.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to Kardinal
quote:
He comes across pretty smarmy, I-know-better-than-all-of-you-because-I-used-to-play-in-the-NHL a lot of the time, and that rubs me the wrong way
Ya that's how I see him too..........although he does have valid pts in his article.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Kardinal
perhaps i like Kipper because i like Cherry too.

i know what you mean, but i often find Kipper right about what he talks about...some of his "intermission" debates are pretty good, especially when he and Doug MacLean or Bill Watters (when he was there) would get into some heated discussions.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=isKcDw_3icM

--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ZZZZZZZ
No More Hockey Games

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QUEb1WcgN4

FaxCap

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

I've no reason to argue about it. A guy with the name told me how to pronounce it. Different dialect, maybe?
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ
It looks like the idiot from London has family/friends in the Czech Republic:

»www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo···ter_feed

Racist chants rained down on Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds on Sunday. Simmonds, playing for Liberec of the Czech Extraliga, was in Chomutov on Sunday to take on the Pirates. A small fight broke out during the game, and afterwards as officials were breaking things up, the crowd chanted "Opice!" at Simmonds, which translates to "Monkey!" in English. Chumotov hockey officials apologized for the incident.

--

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to ZZZZZZZ
What puzzles me, is that if there was any sort of serious fissure in the owners group, why wouldn't those opposed to Bettman actually grow up and say something about the way these negotiations have been handled?

For example, if MLSE actually had any cojones about the buckets of cash they're losing right now (which ironically the NHL vaccuums up a portion of to help the teams that Bettman is hell bent on saving like Pheonix) they'd have spoken up, repeatedly, eaten the fines (then passed the fines amount on to the fans as ticket price increases) and rallied the other owners to get a deal done.

I mean what do the large market teams get out of this lockout? SFA as far as I can tell.

NefCanuck

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Styvas
said by Styvas:

said by dirtyjeffer:

I've no reason to argue about it. A guy with the name told me how to pronounce it. Different dialect, maybe?

quite likely...a Vietnamese guy i used to work with told me it was pronounced that way, but like you said, there are likely different ways of pronouncing it.
--

- George Orwell

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Click for full size
Nick Kypreos
Click for full size
Doug Maclean
Click for full size
Daren Millard
LOL... Hockey Central goofs dressed as KISS....

The lockout has made everyone lose their mind!!!

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
Okay I could recognize Kypreos and Millard under all that makeup & stuff but wow if you hadn't told me that the second pic was McLean, I never would have been able to tell...

Shoulda dressed up as the Three Stooges though, it would have been funnier (and more appropriate )

NefCanuck

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
the Kipper is going to run the NYC Marathon this Sunday...should be interesting to see how he does...his goal was to beat Oprah.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
Oprah had a good timing in the marathon 4 hours, 29 minutes and 20 seconds.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by capdjq:

Im surprised she even finished... Shes got hooves for feet.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

said by HiVolt:

said by capdjq:

No, that's Ann Coulter. Cloven ones.

(edit = fixed text)
--
the inscription on the Memorial in the Canadian War Cemetery at Groesbeek, the Netherlands

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ
With the rumours that the Winter Classic is going to be cancelled tomorrow, what are people's thoughts about the rest of the season?

I still think we'll have hockey in January, but it remains to be seen if the league cancels the All Star game as well as the Winter Classic, or if it is saved for Columbus (who really need the money from it). Of course, the two sides need to actually meet, talk, and negotiate, not just present proposals and have the other side reject them.

Or we need to have the other GMs in the league stand together and order Bettman/Daly/Jacobs to make a deal rather than keep the lockout going to get what they have already decided they want.
--
the inscription on the Memorial in the Canadian War Cemetery at Groesbeek, the Netherlands

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
When the Winter Classic is cancelled, I think one of the bigger incentives for the owners to wrap this up soon will be gone.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

1 edit
reply to Kardinal
Seriously..........I couldn't care less right now.

I miss my hockey pools more than I actually miss the games.

Going to see my Rockets play the undefeated Kamloops Blazers tomorrow night.......should be a great game.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Kardinal
I honestly don't think they will keep the all star game, if the schedule needs to be condensed to play as many games as possible.

Did the NBA have an all star game last year? They had a 66 game season (down from 82).

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to ZZZZZZZ
What do you guys pay for junior hockey tickets?

The Rockets jacked theirs up to $26 from $15,but the Vernon Vipers are still $14.
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by capdjq:

and a badonkadonk.

--

- George Orwell

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ
Ottawa 67s are $14.37 to $20.37, depending on where you are sitting. They are in their first of two years at Scotiabank Place while their home rink, the Ottawa Civic Centre, undergoes some massive renovation and update work as part of the Lansdowne Park project to build a new stadium for CFL football.

It's good hockey, and seeing it in an NHL venue (including the new HD scoreboard) is always fun but the building is so big a regular 6-7000 crowd gets a bit lost in it. The team is struggling right now after losing Shane Prince and Tyler Toffoli to the Senators / Kings (respectively), but I've no doubt they'll pull it together. During the last lockout they made a playoff run and sold out the Civic Centre (~9300) for every game. If they can get in the playoffs again this year, the revenue bonanza could be very good for the team if the NHL season is wiped out.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

and a badonkadonk.

[att=1]

Haha... how long ago did she run? this looks like it was some time ago?
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

What do you guys pay for junior hockey tickets?

$20 for side, $19 for ends, $14 for standing room. The problem is that the Ice Dogs have the smallest arena in the OHL (and possibly also the entire CHL) and it can be difficult to get tickets.

New arena should be finished in 2-3 years, though. I think they've made a big mistake only going 4500 seats, but then again St. Catharines always does everything half-assed and ends up regretting it later, though to the best of my knowledge they've designed the arena to be expanded comparatively easily and will have room for an additional 700 "temporary" seats from the get-go (which I have no doubt will become permanent)