Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
kudos:1
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

More game cancellations and All-Star Weekend cancellation expected in 5...4...3...2...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
reply to Kardinal
haha nice excuse with the hacked account. lol.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
reply to ZZZZZZZ
NHL cancels games through Dec 14th

FaxCap

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
said by FaxCap:

And All-Star game.

WNGFAN 1

join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON
said by bt:

said by FaxCap:

And All-Star game.

Will the next announcement be the cancellation of the rest of the season? Butteman said he won't wait as long to wipe the season as he did in 2004.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
rumours are circulating that certifying the NHLPA could be a possible option.

»www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lock ··· bettman/

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to WNGFAN 1
I think they will most likely cancel the season before xmas if there is no deal, as I dont think they want as short a season as it was in 94, which was 48 games...

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to dirtyjeffer
»bleacherreport.com/articles/1418 ··· ejection

exactly,get this happening...........keep the idiot owners in court for years.

But the Lockout would be over.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to HiVolt
I think the general opinion is that sometime around Dec 15 is the drop-dead date. If they can't get the season started by then or very shortly thereafter, there won't be any NHL hockey this season.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to dirtyjeffer
Click for full size
said by dirtyjeffer:

rumours are circulating that certifying the NHLPA could be a possible option.

»www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lock ··· bettman/

De-certification?

I like this Why you do it.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
They'll start the decertification process by next week. Just watch.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

An ex-Maple Leaf putting the team in a great light - love it!

What kind of idiot....oh wait, we now know exactly what kind of idiot would do something that stupid.

Or an ex-player whose career ended with the last lockout and who lost millions of dollars because of it? The fact he's an ex-leaf player has nothing to do with why I'm sure Jeff O'Neill has a certain hate on for Gary Bettman for very personal reasons. Still inappropriate for sure, but I can understand his frustration. He's seen this movie before. And if he comes off as a douche, it's because he's a douche. Not because he's a former Maple Leaf.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
assuming this season is gone, the lockouts (2004 and this year) cost Iginla $14 million...that's a lot of money.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to ZZZZZZZ
What the hell is wrong with these hockey guys (labor and management)?

They are all just screwing themselves.

Speaking of which, HuffPost reports that Canadians are buying lots more sex toys to make up for lack of hockey.

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 ··· 997.html

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to ZZZZZZZ
At this point even if a season is somehow pulled from this mess, the damage done to the game in "non hockey markets" (IE: Places where NHL teams had no right of being in the first place) will be fatal.

Mark these words well, within 2 years at least 4 teams will either move or fold altogether, likely leaving the players with even less opportunities to make whatever money is left at the end of this insanity.

I don't begrudge the players for not taking it up the yin yang (again) like they did the last time, but at some point not getting paid anything has to hurt more than getting paid less.

What is that point? Who knows

NefCanuck

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to ZZZZZZZ
I like this proposal -- if Buttman and Fehr give a damn about hockey, they should put their jobs on the line and publicly pledge that they will salvage the 2012-13 season, and if they fail -- again -- they should both resign:
»www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ··· 5608417/

capdjq
Oh Did I Offend You
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
said by Wolfie00:

I like this proposal -- if Buttman and Fehr give a damn about hockey, they should put their jobs on the line and publicly pledge that they will salvage the 2012-13 season, and if they fail -- again -- they should both resign:
»www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ··· 5608417/

How do you read this article. every time I click on it I get a spiel about Going Unlimited.
--
Why is the time of Day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

I don't begrudge the players for not taking it up the yin yang (again) like they did the last time, but at some point not getting paid anything has to hurt more than getting paid less.

What is that point? Who knows

NefCanuck

i agree...i am more on the players side in this dispute, however, some of the players in the European leagues brought up a good point...the NHL players are locked out as they refuse the accept concessions (pay cuts), yet they sign and play over there for FAR less than what they would be making had they accepted the NHL's offer.

they had a point...the player here, making $4 million/season refuses to agree to play in the NHL for $3 million/season, yet signs on to play in the Swiss league for $250,000?...as well, when they are over there, someone else loses their job because of it.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ZZZZZZZ
I think decertification would be interesting.

Most of current negotiation hurdles are because the owners have no self control. Their the ones who keep trying to out do each other and offer bigger/longer contracts to players (and were the ones who found the averaging loophole to circumvent the last salary cap).

The owners are trying to handcuff themselves by imposing limits on the NHLPA on how much salary income they can receive.

I find it funny because the owners can't control their own spending, so they're trying to force it on the union. (They can't come up with their own cap because it would be collusion).

If were not going to see a season, I think decertification would be really interesting. Just to see how big and insane the contracts get, after the owners stated they wanted to decrease the players share.

Edit: The downside is you lose your collective bargaining power for anything non monetary related. Rule Changes, Safety, that sort of thing.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to ZZZZZZZ
This may be a really stupid question, but would Canada be better off splitting off from the troubled NHL and having their own league?

All I see from the US side is drama, marginal owners, the difficulty of expanding into the tropical US states, problems over exchange rate, a loud New York lawyer in charge of it all, etc.

The CFL does ok with 8 teams, and there already [are] 8 Canadian NHL teams....

....and they could probably bring on a couple of more Canadian teams from the current AHL.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

i agree...i am more on the players side in this dispute, however, some of the players in the European leagues brought up a good point...the NHL players are locked out as they refuse the accept concessions (pay cuts), yet they sign and play over there for FAR less than what they would be making had they accepted the NHL's offer.

they had a point...the player here, making $4 million/season refuses to agree to play in the NHL for $3 million/season, yet signs on to play in the Swiss league for $250,000?...as well, when they are over there, someone else loses their job because of it.

They are playing mostly to be in shape in the event the season resumes... And most of that money they earn in europe is for the insurance, except for a few of the high profile players in the KHL...

As for taking other players jobs... yeah, but it isn't that many, and the clubs there benefit because of increased attendance because of the NHL'ers playing there... Win some, lose some.
--

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

The CFL does ok with 8 teams, and there already [are] 8 Canadian NHL teams....

....and they could probably bring on a couple of more Canadian teams from the current AHL.

There are only 7 Canada-based teams in the NHL at the moment: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Quebec City could be #8, Hamilton/Milton would be #9, but both are several years away from even being possible.

That said, considering that the 7 existing teams generate, what was it, 38% of league revenue, they could do quite well by themselves if need be, although the travel costs would go up by quite a bit compared to what they are currently as Mtl/Ott/Tor don't travel that far for divisional games right now.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ
Are sponsors stating to think about moving away from the NHL? An interesting article including a quote that skirts the "I can't talk about the lockout" rule for NHL owners/execs/etc.

“National sponsors will eventually have to move their dollars because they have to sell soap, beer or whatever,” said Peter Luukko, president and CEO of Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the Philadelphia Flyers and the Wells Fargo Center. “Locally, there’s more loyalty, sponsor-wise, and not as many choices, though obviously we don’t take them for granted.”

Respecting NHL bylaws, Luukko declined to speak specifically about the lockout or labor negotiations. But his comments on the league’s sponsors — and the memories that lockouts canceled the entire 2004-05 season and shortened the 1994-95 season to 48 games — resonate with marketers.

Sponsors have clauses in their NHL contracts granting relief in the event of a work stoppage, reportedly after at least one quarter of the 82-game regular season is not played. Two weeks ago, MolsonCoors, the NHL’s largest sponsor, cited the lockout as one reason for lagging beer sales in Canada. The brewer said it will ask for financial compensation when the lockout ends.

--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to ZZZZZZZ

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Hahah yea me and a guy at work (habs fan) keep jabbing at each other and he always says that... UNDEFEATED LEAFS...

To which I say, his habs are WINLESS.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
Well, technically, the Leafs and the Red Wings are one game behind the rest of the league as they've both had one more of their games cancelled than any other team with the Winter Classic being wiped out.

bt

canada
reply to ZZZZZZZ
NHL and NHLPA bring in US federal mediators:

»www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410329

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
Reviews:
·Vonage
WTH wasn't this done months ago?

At least it's a start.,

quote:
Mediation by a third party - which was also done during the 2004-05 NHL lockout - is not binding like arbitration, but having and objective body is supposed to get the negotiating process on track.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ
A non-binding federal mediator......whatever. I think the more interesting push might come after the NHL board of governors meeting in early December, if the owners can amass 23 of them to tell Gary to change his stance and get a deal done rather than his current "we've put our best deal on the table and the players need to come to us" stance.
--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

bt

canada
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

WTH wasn't this done months ago?