Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

"NHL commissioner Gary Bettman responded later Thursday evening, and said the concessions the NHL feels it made earlier this week are off the table." This kind of "f**k U" crap is the reason it's going nowhere. The season is pretty much done now.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

What is needed is a fan revolt if they come back. Hopefully that will kill a few of the teams that Bettman is trying to save with this lockout.... the teams that are healthy in Canada and the Northern US are supporting the stuff in the desert and vacation spots...

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Read a great article last week [can't find it now though] about how the fans could revolt,but the author goes on to say that no matter how po'ed they are right now and they swear they'll never go to another game or they'll sell their season passes..........it won't happen because of how fanatical hockey fans are ,especially in Canada.

I understand what he's saying and theres really nothing the fans can/will do except stay away in droves...........but we all know that unfortunately won't last for long.

Personally as a fan who buys a lot of sportswear my boycott has and will be not buying anymore nor will I ever go to another live game,unless given the tickets...........this is definitely the last straw for me.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

The whole dynamic of fan anger could change if the key unpopular faces associated with this debacle were dumped. Maybe that's why Bettman seemed so agitated. He surely knows he wasn't exactly a popular guy with the fans even before this latest disaster.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Has he ever been?

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to ZZZZZZZ

Mod

to ZZZZZZZ
If/when this gets sorted out, when the time comes for the Stanley Cup to be given to the captain of the winning team, I hope he tears it out of Bettman's hands and skates away with it rather than posing with the biggest reason this is still going on. The look on Bettman's face when he realizes he's just been insulted, big time, in front of millions of people, would be priceless.

TopShelf
join:2010-06-25
·GCI

TopShelf to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
In response to the website, Did Scott Gomez Score Last Game?, the answer is yes.

In six games with the ECHL's Alaska Aces, Gomez has three goals and four assists. He's a playmaker, not a goal scorer.

There's a slew of NHLers on the team....all Alaskans.

Scott Gomez - Montreal
Brandon Dubinsky - Columbus
Nate Thompson - Tampa Bay
Joey Crabb - Washington

I'm lovin it. However, I do feel sorry for the people that are not working at locked-out arenas. That's just insane!!!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
The TV was on in the background with no volume and I didn't catch the comments till after football,but yeah Buttman is not a happy camper.

It seems the owners want to crush the PA at any expense,and it's going to be expensive.

The only rose in all this? Robbers and Bhell spent a bundle for content in buying MLSE and get nothing in year 1.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Looks like the players will have to decertify and sue the NHL.

Buttman has to go.

FaxCap
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

The only rose in all this? Robbers and Bhell spent a bundle for content in buying MLSE and get nothing in year 1.

I wouldn't say nothing.... just nothing from the top MLSE asset.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

Looks like the players will have to decertify and sue the NHL.

Buttman has to go.

FaxCap

Why would anything change in negotiations if Bettman were to go? I admit he's not a pleasing personality but I'm sure the Owners, who call the shots, are happy to have HIM disliked rather than THEM. Even with any other Commish the bottom line would be the same.

In my business (I am currently in Union negotiations and they dislike me), if the Union like me on the table then I'm either too soft or they can manipulate me. They've requested to have me removed every time.

Donald Fehr is a Pro. But I wouldn't trust anything that comes from him publicly. He's paid to do the best for his clients through fair means or foul. Don't be misled by his pleasant demeanor.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by capdjq:

Why would anything change in negotiations if Bettman were to go?

Because I think he's behind the lockout rather than excepting the
player offer to continue playing during negotiations.

Other than that it's his slimy little pr*ck persona I just love to hate.

FaxCap

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

Besides that, Buttman's obsession with expansion in the US desert is partly responsible for some of the league's financial troubles. But yeah, "slimy little pr*ck persona" pretty much sums it up!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

quote:
"slimy little pr ick persona" pretty much sums it up!
Yup.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Buttman shaking and foaming

The more I see of the Buttman's "speech" the more amazing it looks.
He was foaming at the mouth! He was literally shaking with anger.

Could that mean he's getting mega pressure from the more
powerful owners?

I'm with the players here....always have been....they offered to play
through the negotiation....they gave up lots last time....they have
come DOWN this time more than the Owners have come UP.

I think they are close enough to make a deal but my gutt feeling is
Buttman and a few of the old school owners are calling the shots.

Sure would be nice to see hockey start Jan 1st!

FaxCap

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

I finally got to see this famous press conference. It seemed to me that Buttman was presenting a VERY one sided version of events. If we're to believe Buttman, the players are negotiating totally in bad faith, as if they have no interest in ever resolving this. I doubt that many believe anything the smarmy little weasel ever says, and I'm sure Fehr would have a very different story.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Read a great article last week [can't find it now though] about how the fans could revolt,but the author goes on to say that no matter how po'ed they are right now and they swear they'll never go to another game or they'll sell their season passes..........it won't happen because of how fanatical hockey fans are ,especially in Canada.

I think Hockey is popular enough in Canada, that any revolt from watching hockey would be in the minority. Demand in Canada is so high for tickets and tv ratings, that I don't think the revolters would make a dent.

It could be different in the US in the weaker markets. You've already got some pretty small fanbases... if they start to get used to no hockey, they might not come back.

I'm not going to say I won't watch hockey when it comes back. It's way easier to not watch it when it's not on. There as a Marlies game on last weekend with the Red Wing's announcers calling the game, and I kind of missed watching my centre ice Red Wings games. It's a totally different thing not watching hockey when hockey is actually on. I'd probably go back and watch it (allthough I probably wouldn't buy centre ice for a reduced season).

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to ZZZZZZZ

Mod

to ZZZZZZZ
I think both Bettman and Fehr are telling their own versions of the "truth" (those are airquotes), but I think Bettman's body language and the tone of his voice tell that he's angry that he got one-upped in a game with high stakes and he's not happy about it. He's accustomed to playing from the seat of strength and being the 'first off the mark' to have the players responding to him, and on Thursday the NHLPA got their message out first after things had been positive sounding and Fehr sounded calm, reasonable, and genuine.

I wouldn't be surprised if Betty promised a lot to the owners and is now getting squeezed to get it delivered while Fehr is looking at it and saying "no, I don't think so".

If another lost season doesn't cost Betty his job, then the owners are thinking with their egos rather than their wallets.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by Kardinal:

I wouldn't be surprised if Betty promised a lot to the owners and is now getting squeezed to get it delivered while Fehr is looking at it and saying "no, I don't think so".

I agree 100% and those have been my thoughts all along. If the
Players win this thing Buttman will have egg on his face which his
"small man with chip on shoulder" ego can't handle.

FaxCap

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

I agree as well, and it does help answer the question of why many are directing most of the blame at Bettman. No doubt there's fault on all sides, but instead of being the dealmaker and force of reason that he's paid to be, it seems that Bettman just exacerbates the problems.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

I think that Buttman finally met his match, as there is an equal and relentless negotiator across the table from him.

Not the pushover that was before.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

1 recommendation

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
I get the feeling Buttman and many of the owners have never dealt
with unions and contract negotiations before. The concept of give
and take is foreign to them.

I repeat myself but.....the Players have come down more than the
Owners have come up. I think in the end the Player will have to give
up more than the Owners but I don't think it will be anywhere near as
much as the Owners want.

I'm starting to think if the next 10 days doesn't bring a settlement
the season is over.

FaxCap

TopShelf
join:2010-06-25
·GCI

TopShelf to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

In the Box

Click for full size
Game Got Chippy; Three Aces in the Box
Gomez, Crabb, Thompson

Oh yeah, Gomez scored again!
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Games cancelled through Dec 30th

»www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm ··· d=647344

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by bt:

Games cancelled through Dec 30th

»www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm ··· d=647344

No surprise there...

They said that they don't imagine playing less than 48 games, and that would have to start on Jan 15th. We're getting pretty close to wiping out the season IMO...

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

I was pretty sure it was going to be wiped when they both made their crazy initial offers and started puffing their chests. That brought us to here, where IMO we're past the point where both sides are losing and it's all about egos and principles now.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Tough road trip

»www.castanet.net/edition ··· tm#84510

but they're doing well...........they've won 12 games in a row at home and started the road trip with 2 wins.........but 5 games in 6 days!
ZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Games missed by league

»www.cbc.ca/sports/intera ··· lockout/

Look at these 2 clown's record.
ZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Fans getting a little owly

»www.facebook.com/pages/J ··· oscript=

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur

Premium Member

So are season ticket holders cancelling them? Money talks.