uniqs
share rss forum feed

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

I think this means that the NHLPA is putting decertification into play instead of just talking about it...

»www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411653

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Surprised this didn't happen a lot sooner.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

said by Gone:

Surprised this didn't happen a lot sooner.

As am I. With the owners repeatedly playing the "this is our best offer and we aren't going to negotiate" card, I'm a bit surprised the union waited this long to look to move forward with either "disclaimer of interest" or "decertification" (which aren't the same thing, although they lead down the same path). I can only guess that it might be for the reason of appearances, as the message of "we've always been willing to talk, we've never set ultimatums, we're not the ones who locked out" has been appearing more and more over the past few weeks, so perhaps the PA thinks that their point of being willing to negotiate while the league hasn't been has put the court of public opinion on their side and now the can move forward with this legal tactic without looking like "union weasels".
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Excellent piece to explain the difference between "disclaimer of interest" and "decertification": »www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411412

In the most recent news, the NHL has moved first and gone to a NY court (which will be friendly to them) to get a court-approval of the lockout so that the disclaimer of interest is hard or impossible to get through (according to Eric Macramalla, sports law lawyer and occasional guest on sports radio and tsn.ca)
--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

quote:
Excellent piece to explain the difference between "disclaimer of interest" and "decertification
I think I'm getting a headache.

The only good that is coming out of this debacle,is that our jr team and our Spengler Cup team will be reinforced with better players.

Then after the holidays............they can shove it with these meetings as far as I'm concerned.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

said by ZZZZZZZ:

quote:
Excellent piece to explain the difference between "disclaimer of interest" and "decertification
I think I'm getting a headache.

The only good that is coming out of this debacle,is that our jr team and our Spengler Cup team will be reinforced with better players.

Then after the holidays............they can shove it with these meetings as far as I'm concerned.

You know this may be the first time i will agree with ZZZZZZZ See Profile on something.

They can call the season now for all i care and even if they do finally decide on having a season i will boycott NHL Hockey for as long as i can. IMO NHL Hockey fans should boycott and let the owners feel it in their pocket, without fan support the NHL/Owners will suffer without our money. Like i said this is just my opinion.
--
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. (Hmm)
I have enemies? Good. That means I've stood up for something, sometime in my life.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ

TB Lightning owner gives staff extended vacation with pay: Vinik gives Lightning employees early holiday gift

Tampa Bay owner Jeff Vinik informed all full-time team employees on Friday they will be getting an extended paid vacation.

In an email distributed Friday morning, the Forum will essentially close on Dec. 20 and reopen on Jan. 2 – although the ticket office as well as the team merchandise store will remain open during regular business hours.

During the holiday shutdown, all affected employees – approximately 150 people are currently on staff – will continue to receive their regular wages, with the time off not counting toward their allotted vacation benefits. Of course, if a new collective bargaining agreement is reached between the league and the players' union before then, the extended time off will be cut short.

In addition to the time off, employees are being given an extra $75 bonus funded by the Lightning Foundation with the hope it will be used to help those in need.

"We are asking that you use that money to purchase gifts for a holiday charity or perhaps a needy family close to your heart,'' Vinik wrote to employees. "Let's count our collective blessings while helping someone in need.''

What a classy move - some of the other teams in the league could learn a thing or two from this organization.
--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto

said by Kardinal:

TB Lightning owner gives staff extended vacation with pay: Vinik gives Lightning employees early holiday gift

Tampa Bay owner Jeff Vinik informed all full-time team employees on Friday they will be getting an extended paid vacation.

In an email distributed Friday morning, the Forum will essentially close on Dec. 20 and reopen on Jan. 2 – although the ticket office as well as the team merchandise store will remain open during regular business hours.

During the holiday shutdown, all affected employees – approximately 150 people are currently on staff – will continue to receive their regular wages, with the time off not counting toward their allotted vacation benefits. Of course, if a new collective bargaining agreement is reached between the league and the players' union before then, the extended time off will be cut short.

In addition to the time off, employees are being given an extra $75 bonus funded by the Lightning Foundation with the hope it will be used to help those in need.

"We are asking that you use that money to purchase gifts for a holiday charity or perhaps a needy family close to your heart,'' Vinik wrote to employees. "Let's count our collective blessings while helping someone in need.''

What a classy move - some of the other teams in the league could learn a thing or two from this organization.

looks to be. But from where they the money? I heard they were in deep financial trouble and Revenue sharing is paying them lot of that.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to bt

Re: Is this for real?

It's $165 per ticket lower bowl 3/4 of way up. $13,530 for two seats per year. Plus tax.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Buttman has gone to court to declare the Lockout legal and he's claiming that the decertification process is a way to extort more money from the owners.

He's thrown a twist that if they do decertify, then all contracts are void and null.

The Sound of Silence
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by elwoodblues:

Buttman has gone to court to declare the Lockout legal and he's claiming that the decertification process is a way to extort more money from the owners.

He's thrown a twist that if they do decertify, then all contracts are void and null.

The Sound of Silence

Yeah the NHLPA played this very very very wrong. With all the tweets and public comments.

Decerts and DOI is a means for the members to get rid of the executives if the membership has lost faith in what the executives are doing upon their behalf.

The NHLPA members have voiced their support for the Executives in public forums.

It's ugly but the NHLPA is in for a world of hurt.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ZZZZZZZ

A bright light in the darkness of the NHL lockout:

Senators, both current and former, visiting CHEO (Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario) today: »twitter.com/CHEOhospital

Coach Maclean was there last week, and Mike Fisher visited when he was here a few weeks ago when Carrie Underwood was playing a concert here. No fanfare, no grand announcement.....he just did it, like he has each time he's been here when the Predators where playing here. In the midst of all the rhetoric of this lockout, it's easy to forget how generous a lot of the people involved are with their time and energy when it comes to the community they live in.
--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Hey, I just realized it's December 18th. Pundits were saying that if it goes beyond Dec 15th the whole season is very likely shot, and here we are on the 18th and the whole situation is getting worse instead of better. Not a certainty yet, but the way it's going I sure know where I'd put my money (not in hockey tickets for this season! ).

bt

canada
reply to Kardinal

said by Kardinal:

Senators, both current and former, visiting CHEO (Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario) today: »twitter.com/CHEOhospital

The coaching staff, a bunch of alumni and Spartacat were there yesterday as well.

WNGFAN 1

join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Games through Jan 14th cancelled.

»www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412031

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium

said by WNGFAN 1:

That's just silly. It's like for some reason they can't admit that the season is gone.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Just cancel the freakin thing... I really want to see these two idiot sides battle it in court... LOL.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

WNGFAN 1

join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

said by WNGFAN 1:

That's just silly. It's like for some reason they can't admit that the season is gone.

It's almost like they are getting off on screwing the fans.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to HiVolt

So do I.............I want to see the players void their contracts and have a free for all.

Idiocy.................the fucking best game in the World and we've got lawyers ruining it...........fucking cancers.
--

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ZZZZZZZ

I was talking to a coworker today and generally unions around to be a collective bargaining unit in order to use solidarity to have more strength in numbers for negotiating. This generally results in larger contracts and more bargaining power.

Barring that everyone's pissed and don't seem to think the same applies to rich people, what function does the NHL Union Serve?

the past two contracts have been the NHL negotiating to restrict or lower the overall pay in the league, bring in new rules etc...

It's very backwards (or at least it seems to me). The union serves the function of being able to reduce benefits amongst all its members (not increase them). Why would the players benefit from that?

Could you imagine if the dissolved the Union. The owners can't control themselves or their own spending. They'll go crazy insane trying to outbid each other for top talent. The amount of revenue going to the players would skyrocket.

If you can get past the fact its a fight between rich people, the Union doesn't make alot of sense anymore. They are now an entity for which the NHL can collectively bargain for less. When comparing it to other unions, it no longer makes sense.

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada
reply to ZZZZZZZ

I'm wondering if either side has been briefed by economists who have highlighted the differences between the 2005 economy and the 2013 economy they will be facing. The fact they managed to grow beyond the 08 meltdown is an impressive feat, and yet here they are giving fans, sponsors and all those with vested financial interests a glimpse of reality without the nhl...and that reality is only hurting some small business, mostly marginal service type jobs and a small cadre of Billionaires vs. Millionaires. In short life is moving on for the vast majority of those who actually spend the $$$ that funds this game. The last round emerged into a roaring economic bubble and thrived even as the bubble burst, lets see how they fare reentering this fake recovery...i hope they have the opportunity to realize what they have lost.
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

NHLers fill Team Canada's Spengler Cup roster

»www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/12/···20roster
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

said by WNGFAN 1:

Drop dead date, considering that the very earliest they'll probably talk again is Jan 2, that leaves 12 days to negotiate and settle a deal, they couldn't do that in the 12 months and it looks like the season is indeed dead.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

The players voted 97% in favour of disclaimer of interest...

Whether that helps as a negotiating tactic it remains to be seen... Most analysts say that its too little too late, and the owners are sticking to their guns to fix what they overlooked in the last CBA.

At this point I'm guessing there's only about 5% chance of a shortened season starting Jan15-20.
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to elwoodblues

You're forgetting the prep time needed to get a season scheduled and under way. Jan 15 is about the earliest the season could start if they had an agreement TODAY.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

Yup this season is done........it's ludicrous to think that these clowns will swallow their egos and get a deal done in the next 2 weeks.

Screw them..........I just hope fans show them just how messed up this lockout was,by not going to games,when it starts next year.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Screw them..........I just hope fans show them just how messed up this lockout was,by not going to games,when it starts next year.

One can only hope that they Jays will be in the postseason next year, with the team they've assembled... Imagine the dismal NHL tv ratings and half empty buildings if the Jays are playing late in October....
--

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Yup this season is done........it's ludicrous to think that these clowns will swallow their egos and get a deal done in the next 2 weeks.

They didn't the last time it happened, why would they now?

bt

canada

3 edits
reply to ZZZZZZZ

New offer by the league: »www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412368

-Player contract term limit of 6 years on a new contract (previous league offers had it at 5) and 7 years for a re-signing
-annual variance in salary capped at 10% (previous offers hat it at 5%)
-$300m "make-whole" provision is back in
-Each team could buy out one contract - it would not count against the team's cap, but it would count against the player's share

Edit: And it's a 10 year term on the CBA, with a mutual opt-out at 8 years.

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by bt:

New offer by the league: »www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412368

-Player contract term limit of 6 years on a new contract (previous league offers had it at 5) and 7 years for a re-signing
-annual variance in salary capped at 10% (previous offers hat it at 5%)
-$300m "make-whole" provision is back in
-Each team could buy out one contract - it would not count against the team's cap, but it would count against the player's share

I think the big one is honouring all the existing contracts they were crazy enough to sign over the past few years? Have they addressed that yet?