how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

One huge threat to cord cutting!

While the success of Netflix, Redbox, and sales of TV shows on DVD suggest some cord cutting is already happening it faces one huge threat. The low cap, high overage charge model of ISP pricing already favored by AT&T Mobility and apparently desired by Verizon Wireless can prevent most internet video from being successful.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

I was a cord cutter, have been posting about it, but just got an offer from TWC for $30/month for a year with no contract (includes HD and DVR), it goes to $70/month after that. I went for it and will simply cancel in a year, waiting for them to make another offer.

The bottom line is that TWC had to drop the price quite a bit to keep me.

TSWYO
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Cheyenne, WY

I did the same thing. I went over six months with no cable, just signed up about a month ago. I get their entire digital lineup with HBO and Showtime and HD DVR for $45 a month.

If they can offer that as a promo, they can keep it at that price and still make a profit.

xenophon

Yeah, forgot.. I'm also getting free HBO/Sho for 3 months. They made an offer a couple weeks earlier and I said no go and explained I'm doing Netflix/Hulu/Clearwire. A couple weeks later they came back with a better deal. Still keeping Clearwire unless they can bundle a better deal with cable modem.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to xenophon

They have to remember that a lot of people aren't cutting the cord because they have other things to do with their time or that there are other video options available out there.. MANY people are cutting the cord because they simply can't afford the price tag of this service..

So I laugh at Ivan when he talks about "value" because he, who has millions in the bank, has no clue what value of the common man is.

While they KNOW the phrase "the economy is weak".. I think they don't really understand what that means to people - or they'd find a way to survive on less money themselves, for one, stop raising the price.. and realize that if they DID cut the prices, they'd see less HIGHER paying customers but far more smaller paying customers.. ie: quantity vs quality customers.

They'll never get it - they're obviously "not as smart as young people" are.. so they'll just find new ways to get more money out of the remaining customers willing to pay the higher and higher bills, the same was as a politician will continue to find more ways to tax more money out of the remaining work force in order to prop up those who aren't working.

Anyone else see a trend/pattern here?

They really CAN drop the prices, some.. it will cause the industry to slow down a little, which to be honest, is fine! The entire country NEEDS to slow down anyway.. it's way too inflated in MANY areas and can't sustain the growth path it was on.. we need to go through some period of devaluation and come back to reality.

I wonder just how many people will subscribe to, and "find value" in basic cable when the price hits the "low low price of $99.99 a month!" ON the trend/path they're all heading, that should be with in about 10 years.

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

This country will follow the same path Japan did so expect at least 8 to 10 years of what we have now. We are about 10 years behind their economic path so if you want to see the future look at Japan's past for the last 10 years.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

said by WhatNow:

This country will follow the same path Japan did so expect at least 8 to 10 years of what we have now. We are about 10 years behind their economic path so if you want to see the future look at Japan's past for the last 10 years.
Actually, I'm too busy looking at the past 10 years of the California economy to see the ultimate future of the United States.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to xenophon

said by xenophon:

I was a cord cutter, have been posting about it, but just got an offer from TWC for $30/month for a year with no contract (includes HD and DVR), it goes to $70/month after that. I went for it and will simply cancel in a year, waiting for them to make another offer.

The bottom line is that TWC had to drop the price quite a bit to keep me.
What tier? broadcast basic? *yawn*
--
The shortest distance between 2 points adds 1.5 stars to T. want $25? solve »coord.info/GC20A37 for me

xenophon

No, it's the $70 package for $30, which includes Discovery/Natgeo/History and about 90 HD channels, 3 months HBO/Sho and HD DVR. Not sure about the obscure sports channels, which I'm not into.