spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blueberryjam

join:2009-12-22

How serious is a piracy letter from charter?

Hello recently got a letter from charter saying i was pirating movies. How serious is this? would this just be a warning letter?

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

Pretty serious. Keep pushing it and they will drop service. Or the company might try and sue you. Maybe even both scenarios can happen at the same time if you are that unlucky. If you want to do stuff like that. You need to be smarter and look more into it. Instead of revealing the ip straight to you.

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
kudos:1
reply to blueberryjam

id take it seriously and watch out

there are many ways to better hide it but thats not something im gonna go into here

blueberryjam

reply to blueberryjam

Since this was the first mail and i stop completely will anything happen? so right now they would just be monitoring

zed2608
Premium
Cleveland, TN
reply to blueberryjam

well id stop if it was me they might give you one more warning before taking further action or they could stop you from having internet all togther with them

blueberryjam

reply to blueberryjam

i know.. but what im trying to say is that since its the first warning letter and for now on i don't do any of that stuff.. should there be any major major problems?

zed2608
Premium
Cleveland, TN

1 edit
reply to blueberryjam

you shouldnt have any truble as long as you dont priate anymore

but im no lawyer or anything so im not gonna say for sure

TearAbite
D'oh

join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
kudos:2
reply to blueberryjam

If their accusation is correct, you should probably heed the warning and stop breaking the law.
--
Don't hate OS X users because of YOUR poor choice in an OS..

blueberryjam

if i heed their warning :| will it just be a warning this time

TearAbite
D'oh

join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
kudos:2

What? WTF? Just keep doing it.. In fact, do it more than you were. You seem to be the type that only knows how to learn the hard way.
--
Don't hate OS X users because of YOUR poor choice in an OS..

blueberryjam

1 edit

and? thats why i am asking for opinions right now

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

If you got the letter from Charter then i think that means that someone contacted Charter for information about piracy and they traced it to your account/IP.

Normally this would only happen if you are running a server so others can download the Music or Movies you were serving. But it could also be because you were a dick some where on the internet and someone complained to charter about your abuse and piracy.

In some cases even if you stop you may still get the demand letter asking you to pay thousands of dollars or they will take you to court.

What were you doing? we can assume it was some kind of P2P. If you tell us then that would help everyone reading this know what not to do.

ryu4000

join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS
reply to blueberryjam

That's why you stay away from torrents and if you going use them get private trackers or just upgrade to newsgroup with ssl.or better yet do like the rest of the honest people and buy it nice having a case imo.Years ago when i was with charter i use to buy ppv stuff all the time such a rip off i say not to fond of digital media now i buy my own movies and put rip it to my htpc since i actually own the movie and not shareing i have the right to.

Expand your moderator at work

clickie8

join:2005-05-22
Monroe, MI
reply to blueberryjam

Re: How serious is a piracy letter from charter?

It is serious.

There may be other chickens on the way home to roost; namely you being sued by some MPAA goon.

It wouldn't hurt to start thinking about what your course of action is should that happen.

Scollardical

@charter.com
reply to blueberryjam

There are several ways to answer this.

Did you receive a notice that a copyright holder notified your ISP that someone at IP number was infringing on their intellectual property. This notice usually has the infringing IP address, the name of the intellectual property, the time and date it occurred, and the protocol (bittorrent, etc.)? There may also be the actual text of the letter sent to your ISP. If this is the only notice you received there is a probable chance nothing will come of it. These are generally considered "cease and desist" notices. In other words they are telling you to stop doing it. So stop.

If you received a notice from your ISP saying they have complied with a subpoena request for account information (name, address, phone number) linked to an IP address related to your account then it is is a wait and see what happens issue. There will be no further notices from your ISP. The next possible communication will be directly from the legal counsel representing the copyright holder. The first time they contact you may be a "out of court" settlement letter. In other words, send them some money and they will drop the issue. This amount is usually less than what they will attempt to gain if the issue goes to court. Don't ignore this letter.

If you don't settle the next thing in line will be a summons. From this point on you might be wanting to find a lawyer familiar in copyright law.

xexx

join:2004-09-03
Aledo, TX
Reviews:
·Skybeam.net
reply to blueberryjam

said by blueberryjam:

Hello recently got a letter from charter saying i was pirating movies. How serious is this? would this just be a warning letter?
Stop using public bittorrent trackers, learn to use usenet and get an $8 a month account from astraweb or something. Don't worry about it.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit

Edit:
Mod remove the post i replied to, so i removed my off topic post.

jamiers

join:2004-08-22
Ashford, CT
reply to blueberryjam

What exactly were you doing to get the letter?

mtf06

join:2006-09-28
Reno, NV
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to blueberryjam

You guys dont have to be so rude, it was just a question.
I bet in the email it said "delete it right away" right?

Just delete it and you WILL be fine.

But, like they said dont keep on doing it because eventually they will do something about it.

Quote from this page: »news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-102228···0YhTJvop

"Charter reserves the right to suspend or terminate the accounts of repeat copyright infringers," the company informed the customer in the April 4 e-mail. Later in the message, the company added: "If Charter continues to receive DMCA notices regarding your account or if you violate any other clause of Charter's Acceptable Use Policy, we will have no choice but to terminate your account."

Notice above "repeat"