spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Paul_84
join:2004-01-16
Welland, ON

Paul_84

My internet is slow (I just moved)

I live in the same building, I just moved to a different floor. I've been using it for a few days now and the download is slow.

Speed Test #92080170 by dslreports.com
Run: 2010-09-24 15:38:29 EST
Download: 1724 (Kbps)
Upload: 679 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 210.5 down 82.9 up
Tested by server: 319 java
User: 2 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: teksavvy.com
Compared to the average of 89 tests from teksavvy.com:
* download is 64% worse, upload is 6% better

Also, I tired the Connectivity Check in my modem menu and this is what it says.

Everything has a green check mark except Internet, there is a red X.

There is a green check mark on Connectivity to Gateway and for Connectivity to DNS Server 1 and 2, both have a red X.

Any ideas before I call tech support? No one is answering in the other forum.

Teknowiz
join:2010-06-21
Canada

Teknowiz

Either your new apartment has bad wiring or Bell put you on a slower speed profile when you moved.
Paul_84
Welland, ON

Paul_84

When I first got TechSavvy my internet was slow and it was disconnecting a lot. One of the guys on the forum here fixed it and for 3 years it has been working perfectly.

So now I am in a new apartment building and same thing I guess, but it's not disconnecting just downloading slow.

I call them and see what they say.

Here is the latest test.

Speed Test #92080713 by dslreports.com
Run: 2010-09-24 16:06:08 EST
Download: 1317 (Kbps)
Upload: 659 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 160.7 down 80.5 up
Tested by server: 319 java
User: 933715 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: teksavvy.com
Compared to the average of 89 tests from teksavvy.com:
* download is 72% worse, upload is 3% better

In my test history it has different speeds, some of them 4000 range but mostly goes down to here.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to Teknowiz

Premium Member

to Teknowiz
said by Teknowiz:

Either your new apartment has bad wiring or Bell put you on a slower speed profile when you moved.
why is it always either the user, users home or bell lowering a profile?

Maybe TSI having some issues sometimes too... I've had a rock solid connection for as long as i can remember but as of this morning something smells fishy. Very slow and sluggish.

The storm/winds knocking anything out? It's insanely slow over the last hour or two

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

said by Tx:
said by Teknowiz:

Maybe TSI having some issues sometimes too... I've had a rock solid connection for as long as i can remember but as of this morning something smells fishy. Very slow and sluggish.

The storm/winds knocking anything out? It's insanely slow over the last hour or two
TSI usually announces here if they are having issues. That's what makes them a different from other providers. They've done a lot of upgrading and redundancy to their hardware. It's been pretty solid by them.
pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo to Tx

MVM

to Tx
said by Tx:

Maybe TSI having some issues sometimes too...
While it's possible that TSI is having an issue, it's not probable if no class of people are posting about an issue. Also, as was mentioned, TSI is very good about mentioning when there's an internal problem.

The majority of the time the issue is at the end-user's location.

If you have a problem and if your savvy to troubleshoot your connection and have, contact TSI. Even if you're not savvy, contact TSI. They'll walk you through.

Cheers,
-pablo
Paul_84
Welland, ON

Paul_84

I phoned TekSavvy today and someone replied to my topic in the other forum. They both said they don't see anything wrong with it on their end. But something must be wrong if I'm downloading like this.

PlatooN
join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

PlatooN to Paul_84

to Paul_84
need to see line stats.

possibly something else is clogging up your connection?
Paul_84
Welland, ON

Paul_84

How do I post my line stats?
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

Assuming you have the ST516 that TekSavvy provides, this will work.

First, you'll need to connect your modem directly to your computer if you're not running Tomato/MLPPP on your router. (Tomato/MLPPP has a route modem IP option.) Preferably, use the 1st method if you're running Windows, and the 2nd method if you're running Mac or Linux.

1) DMT is the simplest way to get your stats. It only works on Windows though. You'll need to use v7.35 . If you need the address and username and password, they're the same as shown in the 2nd method instructions.

2) Go to 10.0.0.138 or 192.168.1.254 in your web browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.). I think the default username/password is "Administrator" with no password. Go to Home > Broadband Connection > DSL Connection. Click "details" in the corner if you want more info.
Paul_84
Welland, ON

3 edits

Paul_84

EDIT:

Seems to be ok today, we'll see what happens tomorrow