uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

HG2424G Grid Antenna Results - No Line of Sight - Using 598U

Click for full size
Click for full size
So as I said in my previous post I was going to get the grid antenna and I did. I must say it was worth every penny that went into it. I live in a valley which is a rural area, that is surrounded by bluffs, with trees all over. There is no cable, dsl, or wifi towers were I live, and my only options were satellite or dial-up. I discovered Ev-do and found it to be the best internet for my situation. I have about no signal were I live, so before I bought the 598U modem I tried finding a way to increase my signal strength. Well I found Jim's site and gave the the coffee can antenna a try and it worked great, I went from no signal to 3 bars, signal in dbm was around -95, and I was connected at the best signal type Rev-a. This was all in the winter when the leafs were no longer on the trees, and as summer came and the leafs grew back on the trees, the coffee can antenna became useless, as my signal dropped to 1 bar, and my dbm was over -105 at sometimes, and I could barely surf the web. I needed a fix so I remembered that the HG2424G grid antenna was the best thing to try so I bought the antenna and 25ft of LMR-400 cable from L-com which came around to about $100. The 1st picture above is of my valley and my line of sight, but as you can see I have no line of sight. The second picture shows where my house is to where my tower is. The tower is probably not more than 4 miles away but with all of the bluffs signal is blocked. The third picture is my grid antenna setup, which is mounted on my deck with a 10 ft galvanized steel pole. The coax is connected to my 598U modem which is connected to my MBR-1000 wireless router, in my basement. The results came out to be amazing with the grid antenna, my signal is at a steady 78-80 dbm, which is almost 100% signal, my packet error rate was around 0, and my ec/io was around a -1 to -2. Here are my speed tests.

These speed tests were done at night when traffic on my tower is minimal, and I am sure the tower I am connected to has only one T1 line connected to it. During the day my upload stays the same but my download peaks out at around 0.80 to 0.90 mbps. I am lucky that my latency is so good compared to other I have seen using sprint pcs, because I mainly bought this internet so I could game on my ps3, and gaming works perfect now, with no lag or disconnections. If anyone out there is at a fixed location and needs more signal the HG2424G grid antenna is the way to go, and the results speak for itself.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

Congratulations it looks like you've hit a home run. Enjoy.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992

Thanks Jack, I most certainly will!

bcsman

join:2010-09-07
Capac, MI
reply to Dexter1992

Yep I've also installed one for my Virgin Mobile/Sprint service and the increase in signal and stability was significant. In situations such as ours I would recommend this antenna over an Omni without a doubt!!My RSSI increased by close to 30DB!!

jsme304

join:2009-10-16
Lampasas, TX
reply to Dexter1992

I would also recommend the grid antenna, over the trucker Omni...
We have the same antenna 20 ft in the air.. with no line of sight of towers from house... yesterday we locked it down w/ 12-8 dBm received signal strenght...

dr_anthony

join:2002-01-23
Maryville, IL
kudos:1
reply to Dexter1992

Dexter, what was the size of the pole you utilized. I see you said it was 10ft but I was curious of the circumference. The reason i ask and maybe Jim could help with this. I have an old direcway dish from the service i had 3 years ago, using sprint since, and I wanted to utilize the grid antenna in the spot of the mount. I believe the mount is 2 3/8 size. I know jim has utilized his wildblue but I believe it is a little smaller as the beams for wildblue were a little fatter and were allowed smaller dishes as a result if my memory serves me correctly. Either way congrats on your new setup and sorry to crash your thread with my own questions.

doc

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992

No problem I will answer your questions. The pole I used was 3/4 inch galvanized steel pole, I would recommend using a 1 inch pole, because mine seems to move a little in the wind, so a thicker pole would be stronger against the wind. I ran my cable inside the pole, because it is hollow. Get the grid antenna it will solve a lot of problems with signal.

Good Luck!