comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp

Premium Member

Contact Lenses

Does anyone know where i can buy contact lenses without a perscription? Problem is my prescription expired and i need like 1 more pair to last me until the end of the year. Come January first again my insurance covers the new exams and such. I cant afford a contact fitting right now. (Thought i had enough pairs left in January during my last visit so we did not do a contact lense fit with the doctor, just a yearly exam)

Like I said, i just need 1 or 2 pairs(I have 2 extra pairs) to last me until January.....

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

If you were to the doctor last Jan, then call him to authorize more pairs.

But, an eye prescription is good for 2 years, not just one.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

you might be mistaken. scripts are usually good for only 1 year.

to the OP, call the eye doctor. explain your predicament. see what they will do for you. otherwise take really good care of the ones that you have. stretch those last two pairs or so out by wearing them an extra week or so each.
comp
Premium Member
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

2 edits

comp

Premium Member

Yeh this last script was only a year. This is also a different eye doctor then my last one who gave me this current set of contacts(moved to a different state) I guess i could try and maybe see if he will give me a sample pair or 2

I hate the fact they charge you full price again every year for a contact lense fitting with you already have contacts. you would think it would be enough just upping or not upping the perscription. Say i dont need a different power, i still need to pay the 125 bucks on top of buying another year of contacts

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

if all else fails, wear your backup set of glasses.
comp
Premium Member
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp

Premium Member

said by Harddrive:

that wont happen. i need sunglasses outside and i cant wear these ugly things in public

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

i'm not trying to push you to any particular eye doctor, but i've had nothing but good things to say about Target Optical for me (contact lens wearer for 24 years) and my wife and two sons.

»www.targetoptical.com/
comp
Premium Member
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

They are entirely too expensive. We got glasses for my daughter earlier this year and what they charged for the frames and lenses we could have gotten the same ones for a third of the price at sams club and bj's. Didnt realize it till after

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to comp

Premium Member

to comp
said by comp:

Does anyone know where i can buy contact lenses without a perscription? Problem is my prescription expired and i need like 1 more pair to last me until the end of the year. Come January first again my insurance covers the new exams and such. I cant afford a contact fitting right now. (Thought i had enough pairs left in January during my last visit so we did not do a contact lense fit with the doctor, just a yearly exam)

Like I said, i just need 1 or 2 pairs(I have 2 extra pairs) to last me until January.....
I doubt any eye doctor will just write a script without doing the exam. Good way to lose their license. They have no way of knowing if your eyes have changed.

Online places also require a prescription.

Fredpark
@rr.com

Fredpark to comp

Anon

to comp
said by comp:

said by Harddrive:

that wont happen. i need sunglasses outside and i cant wear these ugly things in public
You didn't think they were "ugly" when you got them.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to comp

Premium Member

to comp
said by comp:

I hate the fact they charge you full price again every year for a contact lense fitting with you already have contacts. you would think it would be enough just upping or not upping the perscription. Say i dont need a different power, i still need to pay the 125 bucks on top of buying another year of contacts
They do all the same measurements every time you get fitted. Getting fitted each time is a good thing. Some places might charge a bit more for a first-time wearer since they make them watch the little video or are helped in putting them in.

Stretch your lenses out by wearing each set a bit longer like another poster suggested. You aren't going to find anywhere that sells lenses without a prescription.

MattBC
Out of the gym injured for 12 months now
Premium Member
join:2006-02-01
Victoria, BC

MattBC to comp

Premium Member

to comp
1-800 Contacts. They're awesome.

I bought my Acuvue Oasis contacts from them 2 years ago. The contacts had not come a week after the expected arrival, so I hopped into a chat with one of their agents. She advised me that they would expedite them out to me, no easy task being as I'm in Canada and for some reason that always means Customs likes to look at my packages. Well, sure enough, 3 days later both boxes of contacts arrive in the mail. I wrote in a kudo's for the agent who helped me and to let them know that I had received an extra box.

The manager of the center where the rep that I had chatted to was located mailed me a letter in the mail, thanking me for my feedback, and passed along a shirt. A few weeks later this manager also sent me a bunch or really good coupons.

I will recommend them forever. Did the original order get messed? Yes. But they sure as hell fixed it, and their contacts are a wicked price.

Matt

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to comp

Premium Member

to comp
You can go to Costco and get a contact exam for 50 or 60 bucks I think, and they'll give you a trial pair of lenses. Maybe that will stretch your current stash through the end of the year?

I did that on vacation once, flew to Florida the day before a cruise and forgot my contacts (tough to snorkel with glasses, and no prescription sunglasses.) Called Costco, they had an appointment due to a cancellation, so I told them I was moving to the area and they gave me a pair of trials that lasted me through vacation.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 edit

r81984 to comp

Premium Member

to comp
said by comp:

I cant afford a contact fitting right now. (Thought i had enough pairs left in January during my last visit so we did not do a contact lense fit with the doctor, just a yearly exam)
Don't pay for a fitting, I have no idea what that is???
If you had an eye exam in the past year, then you are all set since you have a prescription. The doctor by law has to give you a copy of your prescription so you can buy contacts from anywhere.

If you are mistaken on your last prescription and you need a new one Walmart also does exams for $50 to $60 and ask them for a free trial pair. The optical on your policy probably costs $60 to $100 a year, so the money you saved this year can pay for your new exam.

I ordered from these guys when I was in Canada for work for some emergency contacts and they did not need a prescription. You can try the US version of their site.
Canada Site: »www.clearlycontacts.ca/
US Version: »www.coastalcontacts.com/

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

1 edit

joako to beck

Premium Member

to beck
said by beck:

If you were to the doctor last Jan, then call him to authorize more pairs.

But, an eye prescription is good for 2 years, not just one.
In some states it is only safe to use a contact lens prescription for 1 year.

I sent you a site for contacts w/o a prescription, I'd rather not post it publicly.

Parogadi
What? Stop Looking At Me Like That
Premium Member
join:2003-03-31
Racine, WI

Parogadi to comp

Premium Member

to comp
Whats the going rate out there? I just wear the glasses, but I've had good result around here calling around for whoever will do it cheapest.

you don't have someone similar to the $18 dollar eyeglass place out by you? They will make any perscription you bring in and put them in any frame you like. They do charge more for bi and tri focals and polarized prescription sunglasses though.
comp
Premium Member
Evans City, PA

comp to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Glasses fitting's do not include the entire prescription information. Like the Base Curve and something else, you need to do the lense fitting for this.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to comp

Premium Member

to comp
Just saw this and it looked interesting.
quote:
Halloween Contact Lenses and Special Effects Contact Lenses

CoastalContacts.com is the best place to shop when you want to take your Halloween costume to the next level! We have over 130 styles of Halloween contacts for you to choose from, all at the best prices. All of our special effects contact lenses are FDA approved, theatrical grade conventional lenses.

Due to the seasonal nature of these products, all Halloween contacts and special effects lenses are a final sale. No refunds or exchanges. Please note that hand painted lenses must be ordered by Oct 18th with courier shipping to ensure delivery for Halloween.
»www.coastalcontacts.com/ ··· 5FE35E09