uniqs

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

SysOp to jade

to jade

Re: Attention CLEAR - You're about to lose a ton of customers

Three days now "Managed" (aka throttled) @ .256 downlink after 9 gigs of Netflix usage this month? No thanks.

Listen up- Give me at least HALF of what Comcast offers and we can continue to do business. I won't even use that much as I avg 50gigs max.

Comcast 250 gigs of usage @ $59.99 (plus modem, taxes, fees)

I will be signing up with Comcast Oct 16 if this is not remedied.

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan
Asus RT-AC3100
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

redxii

Mod

I've been getting 1Mbps all day and managed to watch something on Netflix without it stopping to buffer. I have no idea if they are throttling and they upped the throttle speed.. we'll find out at 1 a.m. Also today the modem auto reset itself at least 3 times.

The modem we just got for the laptop only managed to get 1Mbps as well, it hasn't used much bandwidth yet.

Maybe they just said "**** it just cap everyone at 1Mbps."

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

1 Mbit would be OK even for Netflix. I can stream Netflix better on my 3G VZ stick than I can on Clear. When I have 768Kbit RR lite that streamed Netflix better than Clear, even though on speedtest I was getting 2Mbits down on Clear 4G.

I wonder rif the Sprint 4G is capped/throttled.
alfnoid
MVM
join:2002-02-18

alfnoid

MVM

said by Eagles1221:

I wonder rif the Sprint 4G is capped/throttled.
There have not been complaints of that...only clear.
In fact some people have both and are saying their clear is capped and sprint isn't.
You need a 2 year contract with sprint from what I have read though. If they had a month to month option I think most people (not in a clear contract) would have jumped over there already.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

I have a 30 day trial of Sprint 3g/4g. I use a VZ Mifi for work and for the same cost wanted to swap to Sprint. Less coverage but if I am in a Clear city the 4G is nice. I may send it back though and just stick with VZ

JockoJ
@clearwire-wmx.net

JockoJ to Eagles1221

Anon

to Eagles1221
IMO Sprint 4G is throttled. In my office, I get 7-8m down, 1m up with my 4/5 bars on my Clear modem and about the same on my Clear USB modem. With my Epic on 4g, I get 3.4m and very inconsistent upload speeds, anywhere from 300k - 1m.
alfnoid
MVM
join:2002-02-18

alfnoid

MVM

said by JockoJ :

IMO Sprint 4G is throttled. In my office, I get 7-8m down, 1m up with my 4/5 bars on my Clear modem and about the same on my Clear USB modem. With my Epic on 4g, I get 3.4m and very inconsistent upload speeds, anywhere from 300k - 1m.
That could be the antenna on the epic or similar reception issue with different hardware.
You are not throttled if you are seeing 3+ mbps.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

said by alfnoid:

said by JockoJ :

That could be the antenna on the epic or similar reception issue with different hardware.
You are not throttled if you are seeing 3+ mbps.
Phone testing is very sporadic for me. The android test apps often don't work well and I use speakeasy.net/speedtest on my EVO. One test may show 1Mbps while another says 6Mbps in same spot/time.

I've seen up to 10Mbps on my EVO but it's not typically the same as my home Clear cable modem, which has better antennas. Also, the phone could have a bottleneck with other things going on, especially in Android world.
kram1984j
join:2009-12-06

kram1984j

said by xenophon:

I've seen up to 10Mbps on my EVO but it's not typically the same as my home Clear cable modem, which has better antennas. Also, the phone could have a bottleneck with other things going on, especially in Android world.
OTH, Sprint 3G appears throttled or just really really bogged down (at least where I use it.). Used to get >1mbps nearly everywhere for several years (touch pro / touch pro 2) all the way up until about a month after I got the evo. But if I'm on 3G on my evo it's usually only 50kbps down.
dellis9
join:2002-09-22
Des Plaines, IL

dellis9

@kram1984j

That is because you are in an area where everyone is using their 3G (Don't forget it isn't just for data, but for voice too) In general 3G kinda sucks for data.
kram1984j
join:2009-12-06

4 edits

kram1984j

said by dellis9:

@kram1984j

That is because you are in an area where everyone is using their 3G (Don't forget it isn't just for data, but for voice too) In general 3G kinda sucks for data.
That may be but it wasn't a slow drop it was fairly instant drop from 1mbps+ always (better towers/areas easily were above 2mbps and it was VERY uncommon to find below 1mbps anywhere as long as you had good reception, >3"bars" -- With good reception it was EASY to stream HQ Hulu over Sprint 3G) and then it changed to 50kbps almost always, starting right around June/July a few weeks after I got the evo. I wouldn't think there'd be "that many"(~10-20X all previous usage?) evos being tethered and there are TONS of WM sprint tetherers that use 5-10GB+ every month.

Also, not sure what you mean by saying 3G's also for voice.... whenever the phone makes a call it switches to 1x, as did my TP2 and my TP before that. EvDO = Evolution Data-Only. The phones will sit on 3G/EvDO to monitor for calls while in idle, but once you answer the phone it will go to 1X for the call. That's why CDMA phones can't use voice and data at the same time (they technically could, but it would require Two radios).

I believe I have seen mentioned on some blog(s) rumors of Sprint temporarily moving the evdo bandwidth allocation at some towers in "4G" cities over to the wimax as a stopgap until Clear can add more backhaul to the towers for the way overloaded wimax, but I don't know if there's any truth to those rumors. It would make sense to me probably because they're marketing the 4G and they'd have more rep to lose from 50kbps "4g" than from their 3G running slowly which would only really affect their minimal numbers of broadband laptop card customers and the tetherers, as well as maybe people who use the couple other data-hungry 3G phones they have like the TP2.

knighthawktf
@clearwire-wmx.net

knighthawktf

Anon

Sprint may or may not be managing there end, but if they are they are managing with a different system entirely.