Search similar:

uniqs

drjp81
join:2006-01-09
canada

drjp81

[DSL] DSL Modems (which is best)

Hi guys,

I'm appealing to all you propellerheads that know best about line quality and so forth. Which DSL modem do you believe would be best to mitigate line issues. My signal is kind of marginal and does wok most of the times as advertised. But, I just had a friend hand me a couple of DSL modems he bought.

I am now operating with a speedstream 4200, but now I also have a speedstream 5200 and an Alcatel Lucent/Speed touch home Model number 3EC18804GCAA01. Is any one of these more than marginally superior to the rest?

What say ye?

Many thanks.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

The 4200 has the newest chipset of the bunch, but they are all old.

polbox
join:2002-05-28
Mississauga, ON

polbox

For stable Connection I would go with the SS4200

Bicephale
join:2005-09-24
canada

Bicephale to drjp81

to drjp81
Mitigate?

The SS4200 provides no tweakability, get a TP-Link TD-8841 instead!

polbox
join:2002-05-28
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

polbox

Get your hands on the 4200. "td-8841 just has a built in 4 port router." U want a stable connection go with the speedstream 4200 or Tp-8816 U don't need the tp-8841

drjp81
join:2006-01-09
canada

drjp81 to Bicephale

to Bicephale
I should've explained perhaps, but didn't want to bore with the minutiae. I will be looking into getting the wiring checked, cause a sure fire way of getting a dropped connection is when the phone rings. But then (while I am still on the phone) everything comes back to normal (I mean pretty much 4.5 mbps dload speed and all) and yes everything is filtered up the wazoo. So I was hoping a piece of hardware I had laying around would be helpful.

Yes mitigate, as in: I know I have to have the wiring looked at and it does work 99% of the time to my needs, but how to improve with what I've got on hand, kinda thing, y'know

So not a matter of tweaking really, but reliability under a little less than ideal conditions.

From the other chimes so far, looks like what I am using is the best I can do right now..until wiring is inspected/fixed.

Waiting for those DSL2 tarriffs to come.

Thanks for the tip though.

Bicephale
join:2005-09-24
canada

Bicephale

I own an SS4200 too but... Good luck!