spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chimera4
join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

chimera4

Lost my Vote

If this keeps going forward he's lost my vote. The damning thing about this is that both major parties would still force this through in the name of national security, but I can't vote for anyone who wants this in good conscience.
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

1 recommendation

nasadude

said by chimera4:

If this keeps going forward he's lost my vote. The damning thing about this is that both major parties would still force this through in the name of national security, but I can't vote for anyone who wants this in good conscience.
then he should have already lost your vote. Obama has not only continued the same policies Bush had in place, but has actively worked to increase the capability for illegal wiretapping.

now they are using the state secrets claim to prevent any ruling on whether or not the U.S. govt can kill a U.S. citizen with no judicial process.

make no mistake: there is absolutely no difference between the two administrations in this area and if anything, Obama has been more aggressive in defending and expanding executive power in the name of the 'war on terror'.

this is just the latest in an ongoing process.

swhx7
Premium Member
join:2006-07-23
Elbonia

1 recommendation

swhx7 to chimera4

Premium Member

to chimera4
There is some hope: »news.cnet.com/8301-31921 ··· 281.html : "a federal appeals court has ruled that encryption code is protected by the First Amendment's guarantee of freedom of speech, meaning that open-source developers may be able to continue to produce secure software."

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I'd like to see them stopped. If I knew how to program I'd be writing encryption software myself... regardless of what uncle sam says.
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to chimera4

to chimera4
this bill will also try to cripple the P2P stuff.This government really sucks the big one.
we need to vote the two major parties out of washington.no more democrats and no more republicans.both are just tools of corporate crud and do not represent the people of this country

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to chimera4

Premium Member

to chimera4
said by chimera4:

If this keeps going forward he's lost my vote.
But why?
If you supported candidate Obama for his rare Senate vote in support of massive NSA wiretapping; why would this be a problem for you?

No disrespect, but this is kind of an odd time to raise a privacy concern.

NV
chimera4
join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

chimera4

While I'm not a fan of wiretapping I consider it within the bounds of the existing environment of paranoia and understanding. Everyone already understands that phone conversations could be monitored, but that doing so requires a large number of man-hours to do so.

This would require programmers to rebuild countless pieces of software from the ground up while making them less secure and more vulnerable to attack. To be honest I don't have a huge problem with the NSA listening in on someone's blackberry messenger emails, but I do have a massive problem with them forcing the developers to create a glaring security hole that could be exploited by others.

This also leads to the possibility of data mining to a degree which is impossible with any other form of communication. To do this for the postal system a person would be needed to open, scan and reseal every envelope. To do with with phones would require countless terabytes worth of audio stored or highly unreliable text to speech software used to record data and tens of thousands of computers to do it.

Doing this with emails and and other previously secure text based systems would require a million dollars or so worth of hardware. That's chump change and that's too cheap for something that could be abused so easily.

So to summarize the three reasons this causes this response are:

1. It will require a massive cost as developers need to rework all previously secure software.
2. It will create security holes in this software.
3. It makes the cost of data collection far too low to prevent abuse in the case of a warrantless wiretap.