how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

orp

join:2010-06-17
Mount Pleasant, MI

[HSI] How does the seasonal plan work?

I have not been able to get a clear answer about this.

I have Charter phone and HSI. If I am gone for an extended time, I understand there is a seasonal setting that Charter can put me on (for up to six months) so I won't be paying a full rate but will maintain some semblance of service.

But I haven't got a straight answer to the following questions:

1. Can I forward my phone under the seasonal plan? That way I could have my number but it would ring at another location
2. Can I still have internet access (so I can do remote monitoring)
3. If the answer to (2) is yes, what speeds would I be getting?
4. How much would this all cost?

I want to keep my current phone number (otherwise I'd just drop it) and need the Internet - preferably something better than 1 mbit in / 128 kbps out which is the $20/month slowest plan.

Thanks for any help.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

Well they had a seasonal plan for Cable TV, but not sure how it would work for Phone or HSI.

But i could tell you this, if you put HSI or the Phone on a seasonal plan you are telling them you are not going to be home to use it, so don't think you can have the lower price and still use them.

The lower price is to just keep the service and phone number during the non use period and then not have to pay a disconnect and reconnect FEE.

If you are on a price contract or promo then you may not be able to go seasonal without a price change.

If you just paid full price you could forward your number and connect to your home PC form a remote location, but would need HSI in the remote location also.

norton

join:2005-08-03
Howard City, MI
Reviews:
·WildBlue
reply to orp

Believe they leave phone on for 12 months - just in case someone had to call 911 from location. This means they have 2 boxes outside your home just in case they do stop by and turn off tv/hsi.

We have a cottage that works like this but we don't have hsi so I can't answer the question fully. Never flip on tv in off season to see if that works but they never hooked up 2nd box to anything in cottage so if they turn that off it doesn't do a heck of a lot....

glen4cindy

join:2000-08-05
Granite City, IL

We don't have two boxes outside for TV/HSI/Phone, we only have 1 line from ped to the house, one coax into the house, and all splits are in the house.

In fact, when the installer put the phone in, he put another splitter behind the modem and put the phone modem behind the HSI modem.

There is a filter they can put on the line to filter out the TV if you are a non pay on your TV bill, and they can just downgrade your HSI modem from the headend, and I'm sure they can do something similar to your phone modem that will only allow 911 calls.

They might do things differently in different markets, but, in my market, at least at my house, we only have 1 box on the outside of the house, and the only thing in there is a house amp.

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
kudos:1
reply to orp

same here only one box outside

Feramors

join:2010-05-07
Saint Louis, MO
reply to orp

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that there are no changes made to your telephone during a seasonal. I'm fairly sure, however, that your HSI IS suspended during a seasonal suspension.

Oh, and in MI you can only start a seasonal between August 1st and January 15th.

zed2608
Premium
Cleveland, TN
reply to orp

i just called to find out and they said that all channels except 2-22 are suspended internet is suspended and phone is only able to dial 911

they dont install any filters or anything and no truck rolls

orp

join:2010-06-17
Mount Pleasant, MI
reply to orp

Thanks for all the info, folks, that pretty much answers my questions!

Feramors

join:2010-05-07
Saint Louis, MO
reply to zed2608

said by zed2608:

i just called to find out and they said that all channels except 2-22 are suspended internet is suspended and phone is only able to dial 911

they dont install any filters or anything and no truck rolls
They don't do anything to the telephone. In case someone ha an alarm system.

zed2608
Premium
Cleveland, TN
reply to orp

i was told they do oh well im not gonna go sesonal plan to find out