spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SteelersFan
join:2001-02-12
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

Reassurance Needed

Well, I just bought a used Nintendo DSI off Ebay. Worked great. Decided to charge it up. Plugged in the power to the DSI and the other end to the wall and POOF. Spark and I lost power on that outlet.

Turns out the adapter (unbeknownst to me) was a 220V adapter from Japan. Fortunately the breaker tripped so I was able to reset the wall. I was a little concerned about the quick flash before my eyes and wanted to know if I could have potentially damaged the DSI or my other appliances in the process. Everything seems to still work okay, but maybe someone with a technical background could let me know.

Thanks.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

Only thing i have to comment on is that Japan's household voltage is 100v, not 220v. Could be why you saw the spark, because US standard household is split 120/240. Or the adapter could have just been junk.

Plug something into the outlet. If its working, its fine.

Toadman
Hypnotoad
join:2001-11-28
Mystery

Toadman to SteelersFan

to SteelersFan
The other poster is correct, Japan is 100V, 50HZ up north and 60HZ down south. The power adapers sold in the US work in Japan and visa versa (I know this, have done it already). Most likely you recieved a european version that was rated for 220V. The DS and DSi chargers are the only ones that I know of that cannot handle multi-country voltages (like a laptop, look at the power adapter).

DSi are some pretty resiliant items and can withstand pretty much anything, I would check it out and see if it charges. You can get new chargers on line or at Walmart. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE DSI charger, the DS one is different!!!!

If you did fry something, there are a few resellers on-line who sell piece parts for the DSI, you can get new parts and rebuild it.

Good luck

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

nunya to SteelersFan

MVM

to SteelersFan
I wonder if you got some aftermarket confabulation or just a POS. I just looked at my kids OEM DSi charger, and it is stamped "Nintendo".
It says JPN/USA 100-120V 50/60 hz. The Jap units should work in the USA and vice versa.

SteelersFan
join:2001-02-12
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

Well the guy on Ebay sent me the USA version. After comparing the two, it looks like the JPN one had 100v - 220v listed on it or something like that. At any rate, after testing the charging with the USA one it worked fine. It's odd because I've seen the JPN one advertised online and it supposedly works in USA too. Could have been a faulty adapter in the first place. Thanks for all of the replies. Glad it works with no apparent damage.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to SteelersFan

to SteelersFan
Oh. From the thread title I thought this was going to be from a needy girlfriend