Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

2 edits

Help with HA setting in 598U

I got my MSL code from Sprint, my SmartView version is 1.20.0016.0. I go into ##DATA menu and enter my code and I get in. There are 2 profiles .

Profile 0, primary address - 68.28.15.12, secondary address 68.28.31.12
Profile 1, primary address - 255.255.255.255, secondary address 68.28.89.76

I don't know which one to change I am assuming I would change Profile 1.

I did some HA speed tests, with Chicago, IL, and Kansas City, MO.

Kansas City, MO - Latency 95ms-140ms, Download 900kb/s-1mb/s varies by time of day.

Chicago, IL - Latency 70ms-100ms, Download 700kb/s - 1mb/s varies by time of day.

I checked my IP and I am using the Kansas City, HA most of the time, sometimes it changes to the HA of Chicago, IL.

In Profile 1 my secondary HA is set to Kansas City, MO.

I want to change my primary HA to Chicago, IL, and my secondary to Kansas City, MO.

So which profile do I change the settings in?

If it makes my speed slower or worse I will just update my profile, and it will reprogram my modem to defaults.

Hope that clears up some things on my situation Jim if you read this.

Also is there a way to change HA's in my modem using Sierra Wireless Watcher? If someone knows that would be great.

Also when I use IP Geo locator, it says my IP is from the state KS, but on Speedtest.net the gold spinning star is on the the state IL, so I don't know how to determine what my current HA is.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
UPDATE:

I did some testing and, if I change anything in Profile 0, my modem won't connect.

I can change the HA's in Profile 1, I want the HA of Chicago, IL, so I changed my HA to that, and my modem connected, speeds were the same, but if I go to speedtest.net or use IP Geo locator it always says I am in somewhere in Kansas. I then got frustrated because there is no way to check what HA I am using with 100% accuracy. I then changed my HA to California, and speedtest.net said I was coming from California, yes a successful change, but when I change it back to Chicago, IL it still says I am from Kansas. I am starting to think that these tools to locate HA's do not work at every time. I noticed people think their HA's are the ones in Profile 0, well they are not, if you change them your modem will not connect.

In order for use Sprint users to find the current HA's we are going to have to all post our default HA's, somewhere.

Mine on default were Primary 255.255.255.255
Secondary 68.28.89.76/77(Kansas, City, MO).

mc1lean

join:2007-11-18
Lincolnton, NC
reply to Dexter1992
Dexter1992, did you get any further? I search this site and the 'net in general and all I get is your posts above...

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992
If your wondering if I got my HA to Chicago, IL, then the answer is yes and no. Speedtest.net has me in areas right around Chicago, but »www.ipligence.com/geolocation still has me in Kansas City, MO. All I know is my primary HA is set to 255.255.255.0, which means it chooses the closest HA to my area. Since Chicago, IL is about 2 hours away from my city, and Kansas, MO is about 5 hours away, that means my HA should be set to Chicago, IL. Remember that speedtest.net, and IP Geo Locator's, are not 100% accurate. My connection seems a lot faster, when set by the defaults Sprint gives me. My latency is 88ms(always constant) my speed is 700-1400kb/s down depending on the time of day, and 440kb/s up. I only wanted to change my HA's because I wanted to get better ping times, but since there is really no way to test to make sure the settings I change work, I decided to just leave the modem at defaults. Your lucky if you can get you ping on Sprint's Network below 100ms, so for me to have 88ms is great.

If you have some more questions for me, just ask. =)

mc1lean

join:2007-11-18
Lincolnton, NC
reply to Dexter1992
Thanks!

I have to play with it some more. I have a fairly recent smartview and the Sierra watcher, not sure if I have to have a specific version to change HA.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992
Your Welcome!

Jim_in_VA noted, that you can't change HA's with the most current Smartview version, so I would recommend that you stay at a version that is fairly recent that still allows you to change your HA's.

Zonis

join:2010-05-24
Chicago, IL
reply to Dexter1992
I believe this is because Sprint's HQ is in Kansas.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
Alright don't use IPGeolocators to isolate what your HA is set to. I use google search now, and when you search something, on the left side of the page it should tell you what location it has you set to, and when I had my HA set to KS, it would give me cites in KS, and when I set it to IL, it gives me cites in IL. So changing HA's does work, and it has been working I have just been thrown off by IPGeolocators.

So I hope this helps; I now use:

68.28.145.76 Chicago, IL Area 4
68.28.145.77 Chicago, IL Area 4

As my Home Agents because when I was using the default 255.255.255.255 settings, my modem would connect to IL one day and then connect to KS another day. So now I stopped this by manually setting the address to Chicago, IL for both entries.

And speed is a lot more reliable

As you can see.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

When I just change the speedtest to Chicago here's what I get. I use 255.255.255.255

I've fooled with the HA over the months and don't see where it does that much good or bad IMO. I do know that some speed test servers are better than others regardless of the HA used.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
True, it most likely does not effect much, I use a speedtest server that is closest to my HA, so if I had Chicago, IL, I will use Chicago, IL as my speedtest. I think that's how you would get an accurate test, because if Kansas City, MO is slow or farther away that could effect the speedtest when you test Chicago, IL because you must be routed to KS, before IL. I don't know if this is accurate but that's just how I thought an HA should be tested. Either way KS and IL offer basically the same speeds, KS just throws my latency off a bit.