spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ziggie8

join:2010-09-29
Salyersville, KY

need help with arris tm502g modem and router!!

ok so i got a arris tm502g cable modem and a cisco linksys router and im trying to connect 2 computers while i can get one working fine (the computer that the internet was always on still works) but the other wont work on the router it works by its self if i power cycle the modem but wont work with the router it keeps saying action cannont be completed : renew your ip address but when i go to details on the issue it shows the physical adress which is 00-16-76-1f-0f-79 and the ip address says 169.254.239.239 and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 and the default gateway has nothing nor does DNS server or WINS server ?? some help please really needa get this other computer working!!!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

When a DHCP server fails, APIPA allocates addresses in the private range 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254
»compnetworking.about.com/cs/prot···pipa.htm
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

ziggie8

join:2010-09-29
Salyersville, KY
reply to ziggie8

um that really didnt help me at all any other suggjestions guys???

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

2 edits

Not knowing your OS and not knowing how Router savvy you are, I still gave you the correct answer, but I did not include possible fixes as you still have to diagnose the DHCP Server and the DHCP Client to find out where the problem is before you can attempt to correct the issue. Your TCP/IP protocol may be corrupted also and that could indicate that there is malware of some kind on the PC which is breaking the ability to connect. Your PC assigns itself a non-routeable 169.254.x.x IP when the PC is not getting a DHCP Server supplied IP or when the DHCP Client on the PC is corrupted or infected.

You should Google the exact error message you get when trying to renew your IP address as a first step.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?