share rss forum feed

pclover

join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

Thoughts about comcast - another bandwidth thread

Here are some thoughts and I want to get some options.

1. Why is there even a bandwidth cap in the first place? I thought the cap was the speeds you get. Doesn't Comcast buy bandwidth in Gbits and not by data transfer?

2. Cap and speed upgrades. Whats the point in upgrading your speed if you still have the 250 GB bandwidth cap? I think they need to increase the cap by the tier plan you get

1.5/384k has 100 GB cap
15/3 has 250 GB cap
20/4 has 500 GB cap
30/7 has 750GB cap
100/ 10/15 has 1 TB

I wont be upgrading my speed tier until I get more bandwidth trasnfer.

Just my two cents.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2

Re: Thoughts about comcast

1.) To help prevent saturation of the channels. It has nothing to do with cost per byte

2.) I personally think that 250 GB is more then ample. You don't know real pain until you see some 2GB /mth caps (with overage charges) or 70/2 with 175 GB

Source: Hispeed Internet
--
If Tier II had there way.... a full node outage would be 3 people....

pclover

join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

250 GB isn't enough for me and I"m not willing to pay double for a business connection.

Used 180 GB so far this month. Could be going up as well.

What can Comcast do to make that better? Personally I see very few people upgrading to the super fast speeds.

Champstick

@comcast.net
reply to pclover

Why would you ever need more than 250gb a month?
You shouldn't be running some kind of server that takes a lot of bandwidth if you are on a residential plan.
If you are using up your bandwidth by seeding torrents, well... stop seeding?
People who run servers and or seed torrents 24/7 on a residential plan is the reason why other users have to deal with peak hour congestion issues.

gchris2203

join:2009-10-15
Lafayette, IN

said by Champstick :

You shouldn't be running some kind of server that takes a lot of bandwidth if you are on a residential plan.
People who run servers and or seed torrents 24/7 on a residential plan is the reason why other users have to deal with peak hour congestion issues.
Amen...oh and btw Pclover you have only used 180gb and its the end of the month...so your not even close to 250. Not to mention 250 is a relatively soft cap your generally not called unless your breaking that by a hefty amount.
--
Look at it this way DSLR mods if it were not for people like myself your job here would be boring...your welcome

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pclover

Very few people do upgrade to the super fast speed. Thats exactly why most companies dont even offer it. It doesnt have anything to do with the cap tho. Its not a i spend 20 hours a week on the computer with 12/2 speeds so im going to spend 100 hours on the computer with 100/10 speeds.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to pclover

said by pclover:

250 GB isn't enough for me and I"m not willing to pay double for a business connection.
Unbundled business class costs ~$15 more than the same speed unbundled residential.

My take on this is "oh no not again"
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

BruceN
Hi

join:2006-11-17
Roswell, GA
reply to Champstick

said by Champstick :

"Why would anyone need more then 640K of computer memory" Quote from Bill Gates 20+ years ago

Solution is to go where there are no threats of caps

BruceN
Hi

Roswell, GA
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by pclover:

Unbundled business class costs ~$15 more than the same speed unbundled residential.

My take on this is "oh no not again"
I thought business is $100 a month for 16m and $149 install plus a 2 year contract.

Vs $52 a month, self install, and no contract. Why bother

gchris2203

Lafayette, IN
reply to BruceN

said by BruceN:

said by Champstick :

"Why would anyone need more then 640K of computer memory" Quote from Bill Gates 20+ years ago

Solution is to go where there are no threats of caps
The "No threat of caps" is really becoming a fairy tale. Even companies offering no cap services have loop holes in most cases. Take for instance I believe sprint it is who talked about their unlimited mobile data service. They said something to the effect of they would continue to offer it as long as people didn't begin to abuse it.

So basically what their saying is there is no cap but if you abuse the network were just going to take away the no cap..I would hardly call that no cap.

That would be similar to comcast going well umm were going to take away the 250gig cap but If you abuse the network were just going to put it back into effect..what does that change?

Idk I just see alot of companies already using data caps, and I think you will see more and more begin to use them. You may even start seeing more and more charge users who go over the caps. The 250 cap is obviously a hot topic among people on these boards. I'm pretty sure it will continue to be as long as it exists.

Obviously its a free country everyone is entitled to express their opinions on the subject. I personally feel 250gb cap for now is a generous amount and quite sufficient for the majority of users and I agree with there being some sort of a cap to insure certain specific users are not negatively effecting the service of their neighbors. I know I dont want Mr Torrent down the street downloading some much junk that its slowing me down when I want to use the Internet.
--
Look at it this way DSLR mods if it were not for people like myself your job here would be boring...your welcome

gchris2203

Lafayette, IN

One last thing to add your starting to see programs in other countries where p2p users who are sharing pirated software are being targeted and disconnected. I would be willing to bet it's only a matter of time before you see something similar to that start spreading.

Something tells me you will see alot of heavy bandwith users magically go away or get their downloading under control when something like that is in effect then it would hardly be an issue anymore.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

Ah, the old "it's all illegal use" myth.

Actually, it's quite easy to burn through 250gb of legal content, if you consume paid HD streaming video. Like Netflix and Vudo, or even free HD content, like the material streamed via Boxee.

Unfortunately the "solution" to the cap is metered unlimited, not fixed-price unlimited. So you might want to be careful what you ask for.
--

gchris2203

Lafayette, IN

Even using streaming HD like I myself do unless your literally sitting at your tv 10 hrs a day watching movies/shows it is still hard to break 250gb. I use netflix regularly to stream HD movies and tv shows and still dont come close to it.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to gchris2203

said by gchris2203:

I know I dont want Mr Torrent down the street downloading some much junk that its slowing me down when I want to use the Internet.
This is already addressed via packet scheduling - essentially Mr Torrent is going to be flagged as "bulk data" - he'll use up all the idle bandwidth, but if you show up to check email, your packets will go before his.

It's NOT why there is a cap. There is a cap to enforce the pricing model of the offered products.
--

gchris2203

Lafayette, IN

You can believe that all you like. Fact remains several high bandwith users in any given area can negatively effect the neighborhood.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to gchris2203

said by gchris2203:

Even using streaming HD like I myself do unless your literally sitting at your tv 10 hrs a day watching movies/shows it is still hard to break 250gb. I use netflix regularly to stream HD movies and tv shows and still dont come close to it.
Yes, we have done the math before. HD streams are using up to 1GB an hour (and that's a pretty badly compressed "HD" since real HD is closer to 12GB per hour) so sure, you get 250 hours a month of HD. More or less. Or 8 hours per day. Of low quality HD. If you got Vudu, you'd actually use 25GB on average for each HD movie you rent. So you can get 10 movies a month. If you use cloud backup, you can back up one anemic 160GB drive a month...

I'm actually on your side, I just tire of the "it's all p2p illegal usage anyway" argument. It might be, but it won't be going forward. There is plenty of legal high bandwidth use out there.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to gchris2203

said by gchris2203:

You can believe that all you like. Fact remains several high bandwith users in any given area can negatively effect the neighborhood.
Waits for the comcast guys to chime in, because comcast themselves say they've solved the congestion issue with the traffic shaping solution....
--

gchris2203

Lafayette, IN

I work for Comcast as a tech not in the network engineering so a majority of the network routing/traffic shaping whatever it may be called either goes above my head or I am not aware of it. Most of what I know comes from sites like this.

However it is known that a majority of bandwith abusers who get "the call" are generally downloading loads more data than 250gb. And they are found to be slowing down traffic in their nodes.

Atleast thats from what I have heard. Now I do not disagree there are plenty of legal options available to use and you could break the cap legally. But I feel your being shortsighted if your under the impression that all users are completely innocent of illegal p2p sharing...fact remains torrent users are the majority of high bandwith consumers and I would guess their not all downloading freeware.

Being a tech in the field I can tell you there is not alot of problems with congestion any longer. Most areas outside of very densly packed parts of town or on say a campus area are generally fine with very little congestion problems. I know their constantly monitoring and working on correcting any areas that become a problem aswell.
--

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to Champstick

said by Champstick :

I have DirecTV and recently signed up for Showtime. In order to catch up on both Weeds and Dexter in HD, I downloaded (using DirecTV VOD, perfectly legal) seasons 3-7 of Weeds and season 4 of Dexter. I also downloaded a few DirecTV VOD 1080p movies. It took less than a week and when I checked my Comcast Bandwidth Usage I had used 125gb, 1/2 my allowed usage for the month. Needless to say, I stopped downloading, since I had three more weeks to go before the meter reset.

For me, I can certainly see where 250gb is rather paltry.
--
The Rules of Spam

Tavokk
Premium
join:2009-05-05
Smyrna, DE

said by newview:

said by Champstick :

I have DirecTV and recently signed up for Showtime. In order to catch up on both Weeds and Dexter in HD, I downloaded (using DirecTV VOD, perfectly legal) seasons 3-7 of Weeds and season 4 of Dexter. I also downloaded a few DirecTV VOD 1080p movies. It took less than a week and when I checked my Comcast Bandwidth Usage I had used 125gb, 1/2 my allowed usage for the month. Needless to say, I stopped downloading, since I had three more weeks to go before the meter reset.

For me, I can certainly see where 250gb is rather paltry.
DirectTV VOD uses your Comcast bandwidth or this is an online site/application?

ksharp25

join:2010-09-24
Middletown, PA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to pclover

You know, I too am sick of the argument about caps and that 250 GB is enough and that any monthly excess over it is all illegal torrent, P2P, etc.

Enough people proved why legitimate use through Netflix, Windows Updates, Online MMO video game patches and content downloads, etc can all legally exceed the cap.

Just wait until these IP TV boxes like AppleTV, Boxxee, and others become more mainstream. To get true quality 1080P HD streaming content, you need about 6-12 GB per hour. So you go almost 25 GB down for just one movie. Maybe you watch TV episodes or movies off streaming services like Hulu and Netflix every day of the week. Within 2 weeks your cap is done.

AND as resolution improves, codecs get sharper and HD quality gets better across larger arenas, the GB per/hour need will only increase. There are only 2 solutions and both = pay up.

1.) As it exists now for some and soon for all-- monthly cap, and then a per GB charge for every GB exceeded beyond cap to create large bills per month

2.) Once it gets FCC approved and legally worked out, the future I hate to say, is probably no cap/no unlimited usage that runs like an electric bill. Metered charges. base price for XXX GB per month, then usage based bills beyond.

Someone who does a lot of gaming and video watching online could face huge bills all for legal use.

BruceN
Hi

Roswell, GA
reply to pclover

In our home we do use probably 8 hours a day. My one sone does 2 hours watching his shows another son the same then there is my wife and then I get the balance

250g has become nothing, and I never thought it would be this way just 6 mo ago

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to Tavokk

said by Tavokk:

DirectTV VOD uses your Comcast bandwidth or this is an online site/application?
DirecTV VOD uses your existing internet provider that you subscribe to, in my case it's Comcast.

»www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/d···n_demand

fbf

@comcast.net

And you don't have a DVR from Direct TV? Who needs VOD when you have a DVR and can easily record wanted programs with Direct TV DVR software platform? I would think a monthly rental charge for the main/first DirectTV DVR is whole lot cheaper than the monthly rate for CC HSI.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

I have a DirecTV DVR. I just recently subscribed to Showtime. I record the CURRENT season of both Weeds and Dexter.

I wanted to see the previous seasons of Weeds and Dexter which are now only available on DirecTV VOD.

DirecTV VOD is free.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to pclover

So you downloaded 5 years of shows of one and one year of another and you think thats normal. Thats not normal but im sure its a good excuse for comcast if which i doubt they would ever call.
Edit, responded to the wrong person. newview you know you wont get the call and if you do just explain it to them.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

I dunno, we watched 4 years of Lost in two months, last year, via Netflix. I didn't think that I was being abnormal when I did it. I guess we were.

Neat.
--

ksharp25

Middletown, PA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to pclover

With that said, you still have to use a large amount of streaming video and other content to reach 250 GB in a month..even with a whole 5 seasons worth of episodes.

But still...the point is, its going to get easier to do so as quality and other things go "online" and "on demand" more and more.

I think if they had their way, ISPs, Cable Providers, Telcos, etc would run like an unregulated utility. You dont have any set amount, you pay a base price for service and then a charge per GB used to a set amount, and a different charge per GB for every GB thereafter. Thats their wet dream of service model they all hope to one day use.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

So you downloaded 5 years of shows of one and one year of another and you think thats normal. Thats not normal but im sure its a good excuse for comcast if which i doubt they would ever call.
Edit, responded to the wrong person. newview you know you wont get the call and if you do just explain it to them.
I'm way under the 250gb limit, so what difference does it make WHAT I downloaded? I'd much rather watch something I actually LIKE in marathon sessions than most of the drivel on TV nowadays.
--
The Rules of Spam

ksharp25

Middletown, PA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to pclover

So conspiracy theory.....

Since marathon sessions and online video is commercial free when streamed through paid sources (Netflix), do you think the limit caps and overage charges are actually the doing of advertisers and companies losing money from the ever dwindling live broad cast viewers with commercials?

hmmmmm.....lol