Embedded advertising is the future.
Tavokk
Premium Member
join:2009-05-05
Smyrna, DE

Tavokk to pclover

Premium Member

to pclover
I just get the idea that no matter what is said the Comcast bashing is going to continue because everybody wants to slay the giant.
ksharp250
join:2010-09-24
Middletown, PA

ksharp250

said by Tavokk:

I just get the idea that no matter what is said the Comcast bashing is going to continue because everybody wants to slay the giant.
I fully agree. No one company is to blame. It costs a lot of overhead to provide and maintain the bandwidth and service for high teir models of 10 + MB down. And the every day American is given more and more options out there that demands a lot of data usage in general.

ISPs like Comcast have to find a way to provide you the speed you want without bankrupting themselves. I know the arguments go tha these giants are just profit pigs who make billions they can afford it. Well...unlimited data does not equal unlimited bandwidth. Its similar to electricty, it has to be generated and costs to do so.

I bet if Comcast or other ISPs ever posted their balance sheets on how much gets spent a year on upgrade, infrastructure maintenance, etc..people would be surprised. 5-6 years ago, there was no such thing as DVRs for HD content, On Demand "streaming" shows and movies, etc. These "innovations" in video cost a crap ton over overhead in bandwidth demands. And companies like Comcast need to scramble to figure out a way for you you to pay your fair share without bankrupting you and providing you the fair share without bankrupting them. Its a mess and will be until real "net neutrality" guidelines and FCC consumer protections come into play along with green lighting ISPs and others on being able to pay your fair share.

Im sorry...but if all my movies and downloads and stuff average 400 GB a month, and yours exceeds 1000 GB a month, then yes...I should have a lower bill then you and not some "$59.99" hard price for both.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to BruceN

MVM

to BruceN
said by BruceN:

I thought business is $100 a month for 16m and $149 install plus a 2 year contract.
Nope.

»business.comcast.com/int ··· 100.aspx

Business class 12/2 starts at $59.95. The setup fee is variable and can be waived entirely depending on the contract terms. (contract lengths are also variable)

chong673
join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

chong673 to pclover

to pclover
Is that day of the month. Its last day. Waiting for the 250gb to reset. I am at 242gb this AM.

Just like bones, nothing goes to waste.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to pclover

Premium Member

to pclover
This has been proposed in numerous different ways. My personal favorite was a combo of buying speed and usage.

For Instance:

Speed:
12/2 - $25
20/2 - $35
50/5 - $50
Usage:
100gb - $15
500gb - $30
Unlimited - $45

This would help people that want a lot of speed, but maybe not a lot of usage (online games), as opposed to a business that might not need as fast as a speed, but may want to have the option of unlimited bandwidth.

John in NIL
@comcast.net

John in NIL to pclover

Anon

to pclover
Unless you sit around downloading video all day and night. I think caps are nothing to worry about. I personally think Comcast and its broadband service does exceptionally well and have been very happy with their service. If you need more then the cap allows on the consumer side from Comcast. Then I think you should pay more and purchase the business broadband. Its only fair.

John IL
@comcast.net

John IL to newview

Anon

to newview
Your 1080P downloads are the real killer with your bandwidth.
Gee, here is a novel ideal. Maybe you could save yourself some bandwidth and either rent a DVD once in a while or maybe download at say 720P or even 480. Or maybe buy a plan with more bandwidth? I don't see anything wrong with caps. We buy cel phone minutes, we buy data plans. None of which are staying with a unlimited plan. Complaining about these caps is as bad as complaining about you high electric bill because in the summer you like the temperature set at 70. So lets blame the electric company.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Please point out to me where I complained about the caps. What I said was. "For me, I can certainly see where 250gb is rather paltry." In this age of advancing technology, you are suggesting I get in a car and waste gasoline, time and money to go rent a DVD, and then waste more gasoline to go return it. It's 10 miles to my nearest DVD rental center . . . so a gallon of gas and 30-40 minutes of my time PLUS the rental costs. I can download that movie in 1080p for free since it's part of my TV plan, direct to my DVR, while cooking dinner or doing other things and NOT leave the house.

Oh, and by the way, there IS no plan on Comcast with a higher cap. You said bandwidth, but I'm assuming you meant caps, since bandwidth doesn't even enter into the equation for the sake of this discussion. If indeed you meant bandwdith, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

I did not reach my cap, I used an entirely legal method to download what I wanted and I proved to myself how easy it would be to blow that rather paltry 250gb cap all to hell, also proving to myself that all these posters who expound the notion that anyone downloading over 250gb is doing something illegal by downloading copyrighted material are full of shit.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by newview:

Oh, and by the way, there IS no plan on Comcast with a higher cap.
business class. same speeds, higher and softer caps.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:
said by newview:

Please post the link that shows Comcast offers higher caps with Business Class.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by newview:

no caps on business class
28619103 (banned)
join:2009-03-01

1 edit

28619103 (banned) to pclover

to pclover
Before we get to page 124 of a thread which looks, smells and has all the same rants as »The Bandwidth Limits/Congestion Management Topic, should we reopen that thread for the same players to say the same things again?

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to newview

MVM

to newview
said by newview:

»customer.comcast.com/Pag ··· sive-Use

Specifically:
Is Comcast going to offer a pay-per-GB option for customers who go over 250 GB in a month?

We do not currently offer a pay-per-GB option, but like all ISPs we continuously evaluate a variety of models, including consumption based billing. However, customers can choose to subscribe to our Comcast Business Class commercial service.
Is Comcast's data usage meter available for commercial customers?

No, we do not currently have an excessive use threshold for commercial customers so such a meter is not necessary for our Comcast Business Class customers.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to newview

Premium Member

to newview
said by newview:

said by JohnInSJ:
said by newview:

I'm on 12/2 business class. There is no hard cap. The soft cap appears to be somewhere between .5 and .75TB - "the call" would be terminate or move to a higher tier. If you read the ToS it does have kickout weasel words for excessive use based on service level, and it's my understanding that's what it's for. A 12mbit line can burn 3.7TB/mo full out, the expect use is no more than 20% of that. Bumping to 22/5, you'd hit 20% at 1.3TB of use.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:

No, we do not currently have an excessive use threshold for commercial customers so such a meter is not necessary for our Comcast Business Class customers.
I stand corrected . . . however I do not need Business Class. I can stay within the 250gb cap and have done so since it was first implemented. But I also recognize that it would be very easy to break that cap very easily and in very little time with normal usage.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to JohnInSJ

MVM

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

I'm on 12/2 business class. There is no hard cap. The soft cap appears to be somewhere between .5 and .75TB - "the call" would be terminate or move to a higher tier.
I'm not sure they even have the soft cap anymore on business services since they implemented the congestion management system.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit

ropeguru to newview

Premium Member

to newview
ESpath beat me to it...

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to 28619103

to 28619103
said by 28619103:

Before we get to page 124 of a thread which looks, smells and has all the same rants as »The Bandwidth Limits/Congestion Management Topic, should we reopen that thread for the same players to say the same things again?
If I've learned anything in this forum since the beginning of bandwidth threads, they will continue to be started and the same things will be said. This happens because new people show up and they haven't heard the same things long-timers have said and heard for years.

»The Bandwidth Limits/Congestion Management Topic

First post in that thread has links to many subtopics. Perhaps, rather than saying the same things again, the same players might just post a link to where it has already been said, making it easier for new posters to find it. Just a thought, but this thread will eventually die and another will begin. I think we can count on it.

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

1 edit

pclover

Re: Thoughts about comcast - another bandwidth thread

I looked a 16/2 business plan and it said my estimated cost was $99.95 a month.

Like people said I wonder if they put the cap as there system cannot handle how many users they have.

And let me guess if I want business I have to have a tech come out they have to install there router etc etc.

And also people said It breaks my bundle so I will pay even more.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Yes, it requires a professional installation. The longer the contract you sign, the less it costs.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to pclover

Premium Member

to pclover
said by pclover:

I looked a 16/2 business plan and it said my estimated cost was $99.95 a month.

Like people said I wonder if they put the cap as there system cannot handle how many users they have.

And let me guess if I want business I have to have a tech come out they have to install there router etc etc.

And also people said It breaks my bundle so I will pay even more.
Sure, it breaks your bundle.

Yes, the install costs money if you only sign a 1 year contract. It's free with 2 (or 3?) year contracts. You do need an install, you're business class now.

The CAPS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CAPACITY.

What, you wanted it for free? Oh. I thought you just wanted to get rid of the cap. You can. Just pay more.

pclover
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover

I am willing to pay more but not double + more.

$100 for connection + loss of bundle which is probably an extra 20 month.

If caps have nothing to do with Capacity then why wont Comcast let us buy more bandwidth? More money for them.
Der_Idiot
join:2008-02-10
Norwood Young America, MN

Der_Idiot

I pay 64.90 for 12x2 and 1x static ip.

100mbit is something like $450 though.

Quaoar
join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO

Quaoar to Champstick

to Champstick

Re: Thoughts about comcast

Heh! Anyone seeding Torrents at much of measurable rate is self-defeating anyway. Some entity will eventually catch up to him and sue him into oblivion.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to pclover

Premium Member

to pclover

said by pclover:

I am willing to pay more but not double + more.
Well, then you have to live with 250GB. You DO have a choice, you just don't like it.

Caps have to do with COST. That's why an uncapped service costs more.

pclover
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover

I'll quote my own post

1. Why is there even a bandwidth cap in the first place? I thought the cap was the speeds you get. Doesn't Comcast buy bandwidth in Gbits and not by data transfer?
said by Tordek7:

1.) To help prevent saturation of the channels. It has nothing to do with cost per byte

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman to SpaethCo

MVM

to SpaethCo

Re: Thoughts about comcast

said by SpaethCo:

I can attest to that. I do about 1TB/month on the 50/10 business class (all legal, but mostly server data).

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

2 edits

JohnInSJ to pclover

Premium Member

to pclover

Ok... weird.

Anyway - the node congestion packet de-prioitization system is for node congestion. Having a cap isn't going to do squat for that - what, for the first 10 days of the month, the system is unusable due to everyone maxing their pipes, but after that it's ok?

No, the cap is to limit exposure to backhaul/peering costs.

pclover
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover

So why is there cap in the first place if Comcast gets there bandwidth in Gbit/s?