spc
uniqs

Champstick
@comcast.net

Champstick to pclover

Anon

to pclover

Re: Thoughts about comcast

Why would you ever need more than 250gb a month?
You shouldn't be running some kind of server that takes a lot of bandwidth if you are on a residential plan.
If you are using up your bandwidth by seeding torrents, well... stop seeding?
People who run servers and or seed torrents 24/7 on a residential plan is the reason why other users have to deal with peak hour congestion issues.

gchris2203
join:2009-10-15
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

said by Champstick :

You shouldn't be running some kind of server that takes a lot of bandwidth if you are on a residential plan.
People who run servers and or seed torrents 24/7 on a residential plan is the reason why other users have to deal with peak hour congestion issues.
Amen...oh and btw Pclover you have only used 180gb and its the end of the month...so your not even close to 250. Not to mention 250 is a relatively soft cap your generally not called unless your breaking that by a hefty amount.
BruceN
Hi
join:2006-11-17
Roswell, GA

BruceN to Champstick

to Champstick
said by Champstick :

"Why would anyone need more then 640K of computer memory" Quote from Bill Gates 20+ years ago

Solution is to go where there are no threats of caps

gchris2203
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

said by BruceN:

said by Champstick :

"Why would anyone need more then 640K of computer memory" Quote from Bill Gates 20+ years ago

Solution is to go where there are no threats of caps
The "No threat of caps" is really becoming a fairy tale. Even companies offering no cap services have loop holes in most cases. Take for instance I believe sprint it is who talked about their unlimited mobile data service. They said something to the effect of they would continue to offer it as long as people didn't begin to abuse it.

So basically what their saying is there is no cap but if you abuse the network were just going to take away the no cap..I would hardly call that no cap.

That would be similar to comcast going well umm were going to take away the 250gig cap but If you abuse the network were just going to put it back into effect..what does that change?

Idk I just see alot of companies already using data caps, and I think you will see more and more begin to use them. You may even start seeing more and more charge users who go over the caps. The 250 cap is obviously a hot topic among people on these boards. I'm pretty sure it will continue to be as long as it exists.

Obviously its a free country everyone is entitled to express their opinions on the subject. I personally feel 250gb cap for now is a generous amount and quite sufficient for the majority of users and I agree with there being some sort of a cap to insure certain specific users are not negatively effecting the service of their neighbors. I know I dont want Mr Torrent down the street downloading some much junk that its slowing me down when I want to use the Internet.
gchris2203

gchris2203

One last thing to add your starting to see programs in other countries where p2p users who are sharing pirated software are being targeted and disconnected. I would be willing to bet it's only a matter of time before you see something similar to that start spreading.

Something tells me you will see alot of heavy bandwith users magically go away or get their downloading under control when something like that is in effect then it would hardly be an issue anymore.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Ah, the old "it's all illegal use" myth.

Actually, it's quite easy to burn through 250gb of legal content, if you consume paid HD streaming video. Like Netflix and Vudo, or even free HD content, like the material streamed via Boxee.

Unfortunately the "solution" to the cap is metered unlimited, not fixed-price unlimited. So you might want to be careful what you ask for.

gchris2203
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

Even using streaming HD like I myself do unless your literally sitting at your tv 10 hrs a day watching movies/shows it is still hard to break 250gb. I use netflix regularly to stream HD movies and tv shows and still dont come close to it.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ to gchris2203

Premium Member

to gchris2203
said by gchris2203:

I know I dont want Mr Torrent down the street downloading some much junk that its slowing me down when I want to use the Internet.
This is already addressed via packet scheduling - essentially Mr Torrent is going to be flagged as "bulk data" - he'll use up all the idle bandwidth, but if you show up to check email, your packets will go before his.

It's NOT why there is a cap. There is a cap to enforce the pricing model of the offered products.

gchris2203
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

You can believe that all you like. Fact remains several high bandwith users in any given area can negatively effect the neighborhood.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to gchris2203

Premium Member

to gchris2203
said by gchris2203:

Even using streaming HD like I myself do unless your literally sitting at your tv 10 hrs a day watching movies/shows it is still hard to break 250gb. I use netflix regularly to stream HD movies and tv shows and still dont come close to it.
Yes, we have done the math before. HD streams are using up to 1GB an hour (and that's a pretty badly compressed "HD" since real HD is closer to 12GB per hour) so sure, you get 250 hours a month of HD. More or less. Or 8 hours per day. Of low quality HD. If you got Vudu, you'd actually use 25GB on average for each HD movie you rent. So you can get 10 movies a month. If you use cloud backup, you can back up one anemic 160GB drive a month...

I'm actually on your side, I just tire of the "it's all p2p illegal usage anyway" argument. It might be, but it won't be going forward. There is plenty of legal high bandwidth use out there.
JohnInSJ

JohnInSJ to gchris2203

Premium Member

to gchris2203
said by gchris2203:

You can believe that all you like. Fact remains several high bandwith users in any given area can negatively effect the neighborhood.
Waits for the comcast guys to chime in, because comcast themselves say they've solved the congestion issue with the traffic shaping solution....

gchris2203
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

I work for Comcast as a tech not in the network engineering so a majority of the network routing/traffic shaping whatever it may be called either goes above my head or I am not aware of it. Most of what I know comes from sites like this.

However it is known that a majority of bandwith abusers who get "the call" are generally downloading loads more data than 250gb. And they are found to be slowing down traffic in their nodes.

Atleast thats from what I have heard. Now I do not disagree there are plenty of legal options available to use and you could break the cap legally. But I feel your being shortsighted if your under the impression that all users are completely innocent of illegal p2p sharing...fact remains torrent users are the majority of high bandwith consumers and I would guess their not all downloading freeware.

Being a tech in the field I can tell you there is not alot of problems with congestion any longer. Most areas outside of very densly packed parts of town or on say a campus area are generally fine with very little congestion problems. I know their constantly monitoring and working on correcting any areas that become a problem aswell.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to Champstick

Premium Member

to Champstick
said by Champstick :

I have DirecTV and recently signed up for Showtime. In order to catch up on both Weeds and Dexter in HD, I downloaded (using DirecTV VOD, perfectly legal) seasons 3-7 of Weeds and season 4 of Dexter. I also downloaded a few DirecTV VOD 1080p movies. It took less than a week and when I checked my Comcast Bandwidth Usage I had used 125gb, 1/2 my allowed usage for the month. Needless to say, I stopped downloading, since I had three more weeks to go before the meter reset.

For me, I can certainly see where 250gb is rather paltry.
Tavokk
Premium Member
join:2009-05-05
Smyrna, DE

Tavokk

Premium Member

said by newview:

said by Champstick :

I have DirecTV and recently signed up for Showtime. In order to catch up on both Weeds and Dexter in HD, I downloaded (using DirecTV VOD, perfectly legal) seasons 3-7 of Weeds and season 4 of Dexter. I also downloaded a few DirecTV VOD 1080p movies. It took less than a week and when I checked my Comcast Bandwidth Usage I had used 125gb, 1/2 my allowed usage for the month. Needless to say, I stopped downloading, since I had three more weeks to go before the meter reset.

For me, I can certainly see where 250gb is rather paltry.
DirectTV VOD uses your Comcast bandwidth or this is an online site/application?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

said by Tavokk:

DirectTV VOD uses your Comcast bandwidth or this is an online site/application?
DirecTV VOD uses your existing internet provider that you subscribe to, in my case it's Comcast.

»www.directv.com/DTVAPP/c ··· n_demand

fbf
@comcast.net

fbf

Anon

And you don't have a DVR from Direct TV? Who needs VOD when you have a DVR and can easily record wanted programs with Direct TV DVR software platform? I would think a monthly rental charge for the main/first DirectTV DVR is whole lot cheaper than the monthly rate for CC HSI.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

I have a DirecTV DVR. I just recently subscribed to Showtime. I record the CURRENT season of both Weeds and Dexter.

I wanted to see the previous seasons of Weeds and Dexter which are now only available on DirecTV VOD.

DirecTV VOD is free.

John IL
@comcast.net

John IL to newview

Anon

to newview
Your 1080P downloads are the real killer with your bandwidth.
Gee, here is a novel ideal. Maybe you could save yourself some bandwidth and either rent a DVD once in a while or maybe download at say 720P or even 480. Or maybe buy a plan with more bandwidth? I don't see anything wrong with caps. We buy cel phone minutes, we buy data plans. None of which are staying with a unlimited plan. Complaining about these caps is as bad as complaining about you high electric bill because in the summer you like the temperature set at 70. So lets blame the electric company.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Please point out to me where I complained about the caps. What I said was. "For me, I can certainly see where 250gb is rather paltry." In this age of advancing technology, you are suggesting I get in a car and waste gasoline, time and money to go rent a DVD, and then waste more gasoline to go return it. It's 10 miles to my nearest DVD rental center . . . so a gallon of gas and 30-40 minutes of my time PLUS the rental costs. I can download that movie in 1080p for free since it's part of my TV plan, direct to my DVR, while cooking dinner or doing other things and NOT leave the house.

Oh, and by the way, there IS no plan on Comcast with a higher cap. You said bandwidth, but I'm assuming you meant caps, since bandwidth doesn't even enter into the equation for the sake of this discussion. If indeed you meant bandwdith, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

I did not reach my cap, I used an entirely legal method to download what I wanted and I proved to myself how easy it would be to blow that rather paltry 250gb cap all to hell, also proving to myself that all these posters who expound the notion that anyone downloading over 250gb is doing something illegal by downloading copyrighted material are full of shit.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by newview:

Oh, and by the way, there IS no plan on Comcast with a higher cap.
business class. same speeds, higher and softer caps.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:
said by newview:

Please post the link that shows Comcast offers higher caps with Business Class.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by newview:

no caps on business class

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to newview

MVM

to newview
said by newview:

»customer.comcast.com/Pag ··· sive-Use

Specifically:
Is Comcast going to offer a pay-per-GB option for customers who go over 250 GB in a month?

We do not currently offer a pay-per-GB option, but like all ISPs we continuously evaluate a variety of models, including consumption based billing. However, customers can choose to subscribe to our Comcast Business Class commercial service.
Is Comcast's data usage meter available for commercial customers?

No, we do not currently have an excessive use threshold for commercial customers so such a meter is not necessary for our Comcast Business Class customers.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to newview

Premium Member

to newview
said by newview:

said by JohnInSJ:
said by newview:

I'm on 12/2 business class. There is no hard cap. The soft cap appears to be somewhere between .5 and .75TB - "the call" would be terminate or move to a higher tier. If you read the ToS it does have kickout weasel words for excessive use based on service level, and it's my understanding that's what it's for. A 12mbit line can burn 3.7TB/mo full out, the expect use is no more than 20% of that. Bumping to 22/5, you'd hit 20% at 1.3TB of use.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:

No, we do not currently have an excessive use threshold for commercial customers so such a meter is not necessary for our Comcast Business Class customers.
I stand corrected . . . however I do not need Business Class. I can stay within the 250gb cap and have done so since it was first implemented. But I also recognize that it would be very easy to break that cap very easily and in very little time with normal usage.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to JohnInSJ

MVM

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

I'm on 12/2 business class. There is no hard cap. The soft cap appears to be somewhere between .5 and .75TB - "the call" would be terminate or move to a higher tier.
I'm not sure they even have the soft cap anymore on business services since they implemented the congestion management system.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit

ropeguru to newview

Premium Member

to newview
ESpath beat me to it...

Quaoar
join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO

Quaoar to Champstick

to Champstick
Heh! Anyone seeding Torrents at much of measurable rate is self-defeating anyway. Some entity will eventually catch up to him and sue him into oblivion.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman to SpaethCo

MVM

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:

I can attest to that. I do about 1TB/month on the 50/10 business class (all legal, but mostly server data).
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

ctggzg to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Ah, the old "it's all illegal use" myth.

Actually, it's quite easy to burn through 250gb of legal content, if you consume paid HD streaming video. Like Netflix and Vudo, or even free HD content, like the material streamed via Boxee.
Yes, there are exceptions, but let's be honest (for once). It's pretty obvious that the majority of the people who use that much bandwidth are NOT doing everything legit.

And regarding the whole cap argument, once again, if I buy a sports car it doesn't mean I'm going to drive twice as many miles. I pay for a higher tier so I can download the things I usually download a little faster.