spc
uniqs

gchris2203
join:2009-10-15
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203 to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ

Re: Thoughts about comcast

You can believe that all you like. Fact remains several high bandwith users in any given area can negatively effect the neighborhood.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by gchris2203:

You can believe that all you like. Fact remains several high bandwith users in any given area can negatively effect the neighborhood.
Waits for the comcast guys to chime in, because comcast themselves say they've solved the congestion issue with the traffic shaping solution....

gchris2203
join:2009-10-15
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

I work for Comcast as a tech not in the network engineering so a majority of the network routing/traffic shaping whatever it may be called either goes above my head or I am not aware of it. Most of what I know comes from sites like this.

However it is known that a majority of bandwith abusers who get "the call" are generally downloading loads more data than 250gb. And they are found to be slowing down traffic in their nodes.

Atleast thats from what I have heard. Now I do not disagree there are plenty of legal options available to use and you could break the cap legally. But I feel your being shortsighted if your under the impression that all users are completely innocent of illegal p2p sharing...fact remains torrent users are the majority of high bandwith consumers and I would guess their not all downloading freeware.

Being a tech in the field I can tell you there is not alot of problems with congestion any longer. Most areas outside of very densly packed parts of town or on say a campus area are generally fine with very little congestion problems. I know their constantly monitoring and working on correcting any areas that become a problem aswell.