uniqs

vitesse
join:2002-12-17
Saint-Philippe, QC

vitesse to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe

Re: IPv6 beta

Thanks.

I now use zeroshell/mlppp and have not configured ipv6 on it.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Will there be any IPv6 testing on cable connections in the near future?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by FiReSTaRT:

Will there be any IPv6 testing on cable connections in the near future?
Rogers has not updated their infrastructure to handle IPv6 yet.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by 34764170:

All DOC3 CMTS support IPv6 and most of the stuff upstream from there should have acquired IPv6 capabilities some 5+ years ago either via firmware upgrade or replacement. This late into the IPv6 game (the IPv6 migration was supposed to start a whole decade ago), the lack of IPv6 has more to do with being lazy (if it ain't broke, don't fix it - most consumer routers don't support it anyhow) than lack of hardware support from the carrier side of things.

Right now, I am downloading two torrents and between the ~200 peers I am connected to, I see only 5-6 IPv6 peers
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by InvalidError:

said by 34764170:

All DOC3 CMTS support IPv6 and most of the stuff upstream from there should have acquired IPv6 capabilities some 5+ years ago either via firmware upgrade or replacement. This late into the IPv6 game (the IPv6 migration was supposed to start a whole decade ago), the lack of IPv6 has more to do with being lazy (if it ain't broke, don't fix it - most consumer routers don't support it anyhow) than lack of hardware support from the carrier side of things.

Right now, I am downloading two torrents and between the ~200 peers I am connected to, I see only 5-6 IPv6 peers
I understand it is about being lazy and not about the hw support overall from Rogers perspective. As you mentioned the DOC3 CMTS support it and the DOC3 management requires IPv6 on the backend so it is their for the most part on Rogers infrastructure but its not exposed on the on the regular transit segments of their network to customers. I hope this changes next year though, the sooner the better.

I see similar numbers for torrent peers although some torrents do have quite a few more IPv6 peers.