uniqs
share rss forum feed

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Microsoft Security Essentials FREE to Small Businesses

Please forgive me if this was already posted as I couldn't find it.

from »blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/arch···ber.aspx

quote:
Microsoft is making its Microsoft Security Essentials available to small businesses on up to 10 PCs for FREE, beginning in early October! By providing Microsoft Security Essentials to small businesses free of charge
I've been using MSE for a long time now and have installed it on a number of associates computers and the results have always been excellent, so if your a small business and not needed complex centrally managed security MSE is a viable option.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
FWIW I have one client whose Point-of-Sale software breaks if MSE is installed. Any other AV is fine.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
That is strange, what POS is it?

Blake

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 edit
reply to Link Logger
Since anyone (who had a legal copy of Windows) could download it and install it already, I guess they decided to make using it for free in a business environment legitimate. That probably means you could actually write e-mail to them for support without fear.
--
Human nature abhors an empty closet.

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Link Logger
Crescent Systems ... I believe it uses a Clarion Topspeed database on the server accessed by EXEs on the workstations. There is no software running on the server.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
Fails as in can't connect to the db? I remember vaguely MSE blocking some ports (after misinterpreting traffic on it)

Cudni

StraitShoot
Who Loves Ya Baby? - Theo Kojak
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Clinton, MA
kudos:1
reply to Link Logger
I guess for my small business, I'll have to reconsider. I wasn't 100% happy with MSE's overall detection but it has improved.. Free is nice, too...

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to angussf
said by angussf:

Crescent Systems ... I believe it uses a Clarion Topspeed database on the server accessed by EXEs on the workstations. There is no software running on the server.
That makes no sense there's nothing in MSE that will block that sort of activity. Maybe it was the Windows firewall? Did you make sure it was disabled?
--
PRescott7-2097

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to angussf
I googled Clarion and MS Security Essentials and found many links regarding data corruption when MSE was used with Clarion-based products. These were from earlier this year and before. That doesn't seem to be the issue with the case you found, but it does suggest that MSE and Clarion-based products may not get along so well.
--
Human nature abhors an empty closet.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to angussf
Crescent Systems used to be a partner of a company I did many years ago. Let me go flip over a couple of rocks and see if I can find anything on this.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool