angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials FREE to Small Businesses

FWIW I have one client whose Point-of-Sale software breaks if MSE is installed. Any other AV is fine.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

That is strange, what POS is it?

Blake

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf

Premium Member

Crescent Systems ... I believe it uses a Clarion Topspeed database on the server accessed by EXEs on the workstations. There is no software running on the server.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

Fails as in can't connect to the db? I remember vaguely MSE blocking some ports (after misinterpreting traffic on it)

Cudni

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
said by angussf:

Crescent Systems ... I believe it uses a Clarion Topspeed database on the server accessed by EXEs on the workstations. There is no software running on the server.
That makes no sense there's nothing in MSE that will block that sort of activity. Maybe it was the Windows firewall? Did you make sure it was disabled?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
I googled Clarion and MS Security Essentials and found many links regarding data corruption when MSE was used with Clarion-based products. These were from earlier this year and before. That doesn't seem to be the issue with the case you found, but it does suggest that MSE and Clarion-based products may not get along so well.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to angussf

MVM

to angussf
Crescent Systems used to be a partner of a company I did many years ago. Let me go flip over a couple of rocks and see if I can find anything on this.

Blake