uniqs
share rss forum feed

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

How to raise door

I need to raise one of the doors leading to my porch. I'm wondering how this can be done? So far I've found special hinges that you use an allen wrench to turn the bolt and the door will raise and lower. Is this the best way? are their other ways?

(The door rubs on the bottom and the threashold is screwed al the way down. Also, the door should be as high as the adjacent door)

agent1191

join:2002-09-30
Harrisburg, PA

I would trim a bit from the bottom of the hinge cutout on the door, which will let you raise the door, fill in the old screw holes with toothpicks, and screw the hinges back on.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

To me it seems like I need to move the door so little that the holes would line up so the screw would simply drill back into the old holes. Or the hole would just enlarge. I thought about filling them but I don't know that this is appropriate or that it would even work very well. Still a possibility.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

said by tcope:

To me it seems like I need to move the door so little that the holes would line up so the screw would simply drill back into the old holes.
Are the holes that the hinges screw into worn out, i.e. the screws are sloppy or loose ?

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

1 edit

I just checked and they are rock solid and I can't lift up or push the door down at all. I did consider why the door seemed to be getting worse and also if the screws were loose that any change to the height of the door would just happen again. When I bought the house 3 years ago the door stuck a little but not much. I sanded down the threshold a little and that made it better. But now it seems like it's sticking a bit more. I think it might be the change in temps. But regardless, the door has always been a little off. I think I also need to put on new weather strip/moldings.

But when I attempt to close the door it does rub at the base. The top of the door pushes in but the base stops it a bit. Also, I've noticed that gap at the top. I really think the door originally was hung incorrectly.

I _hate_ old doors!

[Edit: Uploading a video at this time]

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

reply to tcope

The gap at the top of the door doesn't look that bad and I really wouldn't worry about it as long as you do not have the air filtration there. The easiest solution may be just too take a little bit off the bottom of the door with a plane or a circular saw. Does the right hand door even open? If it doesn't that's definitely the reason it's tighter and even if it does it probably isn't opened as often. If I were you I would just trim the bottom and be done with it.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to tcope

Does the door next to it open or is it a fixed panel? The gap at the top looks normal to me. Notice it is the same on both sides and at the top. That is how it should look.

A pic of the bottom of the door and threshold would be helpful.

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to agent1191

said by agent1191:

I would trim a bit from the bottom of the hinge cutout on the door, which will let you raise the door, fill in the old screw holes with toothpicks, and screw the hinges back on.
Golf tees work best.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

1 edit
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

Does the right hand door even open?
It does but not usually. It has two bolts (top and bottom) on the side where the handle is that keep it locked. Slides those and it opens and closes (the door handle has a lock that "works"... even though it's just a handle. The tongue part does not stick out. )

I can't remove any material from the door as it has a wood center but two faces (inside and outside).

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to tcope

Added some video (also shows the bottom... a little).

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RT-zop6yOU

agent1191

join:2002-09-30
Harrisburg, PA
reply to agent1191

You can fill the holes two ways. One is with toothpicks and smearing the toothpicks with glue first, then pack them in. I've done that many times through the years and never had a problem. Another way is to get a dowel the size of the hole, or even drill the holes a little larger if you want too, then use a little larger dowel. These ways definitely work.

bent
and Inga
Premium
join:2004-10-04
Loveland, CO
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

The gap at the top of the door doesn't look that bad and I really wouldn't worry about it as long as you do not have the air filtration there. The easiest solution may be just too take a little bit off the bottom of the door with a plane or a circular saw. Does the right hand door even open? If it doesn't that's definitely the reason it's tighter and even if it does it probably isn't opened as often. If I were you I would just trim the bottom and be done with it.
That was my thought. Take 'er down and shave an 1/8 off the bottom.
--
Greedy Old Pigs v. The Donkey Show

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to tcope

You don't seem to have too much clearance, so short of moving or replacing the hinges maybe you can trim them a little and use some washers to lift the door a bit?

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to tcope

I can't shave the bottom of the door as it's surrounded by metal facings.

I thought about adding washers to the hinges but that won't work as the then the two hinges would not fit together (look at a door hinge and you will see that this won't work).

Filling the old holes with some good glue and wood dowel sounds like a good idea but I worry that this would not be sturdy enough and the door would sag. Of course, I could use 3" screws and I'm betting I'd get to fresh wood.

But has anyone ever used those adjustable hinges?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sZAId--···bedded#!

I kind of like this idea as it's minimal work and I can move it up and down as needed.

Edit: Plus, I could then get rid of the painted hinges... I hate when people paint door hinges

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr

join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC

said by tcope:

kind of like this idea as it's minimal work and I can move it up and down as needed.
That's what I'd do.

estover4
Premium
join:2004-03-16
Valencia, PA
reply to tcope

How does the gap along the top of the right light look?

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

said by estover4:

How does the gap along the top of the right light look?
The right door is much higher and the gap is very small. That door works just fine. It does not stick. Yup... I just tried it and it moves very smoothly.

estover4
Premium
Valencia, PA

And the gap is consistent across the top?
It is really odd that a double light door would have issue on one side but not the other.

How does the strike plate align with the bolt?

--
Everything I needed to know about ISLAM I learned on 9/11

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

1 edit

said by estover4:

And the gap is consistent across the top?
Oh no... it's much smaller then the left. Yup, that is why I'm more interested in raising the door. While the left door seals alright, I think raising it up a tad bit might only help.

Take a look at the 1st photo I posted... you can see the difference.

Edit: OH!!!!!! You just hit the nail on the head! I did not think to look at that. I'm such an idiot. Yes... the bolt is a little too low for the hole. That is the other reason why the door is hard to close. Sheezzzz. I should have looked at that.

Yup... I think raising the door is the solution and I really like those adjustable hinges. I think they are about $20 shipped as I need 3.

estover4
Premium
Valencia, PA

I could see the difference, I meant is the gap above the right panel the same across it. I understand it is different than the left panel.

Still need to know the location of the bolt and strike plate.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to tcope

Put a 4' level on the door frame at top and sides. Is the frame level and plumb?

The hinges look interesting. They also look hard to adjust and I have to wonder how fragile they are in staying in adjustment. Worth a try but I doubt they will hold up.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to tcope

said by tcope:

I thought about adding washers to the hinges but that won't work as the then the two hinges would not fit together (look at a door hinge and you will see that this won't work).
That's why I mentioned trimming them - to make space for the washers.

Another option is drilling new holes in the hinges to allow lifting them by -say- 1/4" without hitting the old holes in the wood.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to estover4

Yes, the gap across the right door is even and level.

I've attached a (bad) photo of the door bolt and strike plate. It's tough to get a photo of how they line up. But I think in this photo you can see that the bolt is just a hair too low.

Door Bolt

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

Put a 4' level on the door frame at top and sides. Is the frame level and plumb?
I did this and both are almost perfectly level. Bubble is inside the two marks. To make it _perfectly_ in the middle I only need to move the level so that it's 1/16" from one end of the 4' level to the other.

I also checked the left door itself. It's level horizontally and vertically.

estover4
Premium
Valencia, PA

See if you can drive the jam screws on the top hinge and see if it helps.
--

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

"Drive" the jam screw? You mean see if they will screw in tighter?

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to estover4

Wow... I screwed them in a bit tighter and now the door closes very well! They only turned from 12 o'clock to 1o'clock but that really made a difference!

Well, now that you've solved this problem for me I have the rest of the day off!

Who would have thunk it was that simple.

Thanks!

estover4
Premium
Valencia, PA

1 edit

You might want to take the hinges off and clean out any buildup that is behind them, yes there will be some and use new longer screws when you put the hinge back on. If you need more room on the bottom right corner of the left panel, you can place a sheet or two of paper behind the bottom hinge to lift the inside edge.
Do not go crazy, as you can see it does not take much to move the door alot.
--

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

said by estover4:

If you need more room on the bottom right corner of the left panel, you can place a sheet or two of paper behind the bottom hinge to lift the inside edge.
Do not go crazy, as you can see it does not take much to move the door alot.
I've actually used washers between the hinges and the jamb to make this type of minor adjustment and they work perfectly.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

reply to tcope

said by tcope:

Wow... I screwed them in a bit tighter and now the door closes very well! They only turned from 12 o'clock to 1o'clock but that really made a difference!
I asked you if they were loose and you said they were "rock solid".