share rss forum feed

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3

1 edit

[IPV6] IPv6 Trials: More open source s/w released - try 6RD

As noted on our blog at »blog.comcast.com/2010/10/comcast ··· are.html and in more detail on the Comcast6 site here »www.comcast6.net/, we've released more IPv6 open source software. This is based on OpenWrt, so folks who like to experiment with OpenWrt types of stuff may want to give it a try. Configuration directions are at »www.comcast6.net/6rd-config.php

This is of course a trial, so YMMV.

See also this image »www.comcast6.net/gateway-opensou ··· arge.jpg
--
JL
Comcast

inferno4

join:2008-07-06

Re: IPv6 Trials: Additional open source s/w released - try 6RD

Thanks

jus10

join:2009-08-04
Sterling, VA
reply to jlivingood
Thank you for the graphic. It lays out that Comcast is planning on going forward with IPv6 deployment in a smart way.

I'm looking forward to Phase 2. While I've pushed it in the software I use for my router, I think it'll be a little bit before 6rd is integrated. I don't suppose there is a more solid timeline on the "coming soon" phase 2 native dual stack? I'll get 6rd eventually but I'll probably have native dual stack first.

As to phase 3 and "after full exhaustion" are we talking in say 240 days when ipv4 is currently estimated to be exhausted or in say 3-4 years? I'm not sure how my Xbox is going to like carrier grade NAT. Unless it becomes ipv6 compatible that is.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
said by jus10:

I don't suppose there is a more solid timeline on the "coming soon" phase 2 native dual stack? I'll get 6rd eventually but I'll probably have native dual stack first.
Native dual stack trials should begin soon. We've not made commitments beyond that, though. Nevertheless, I hope to move a fair # of people to native dual stack in 2011.

said by jus10:

As to phase 3 and "after full exhaustion" are we talking in say 240 days when ipv4 is currently estimated to be exhausted or in say 3-4 years? I'm not sure how my Xbox is going to like carrier grade NAT. Unless it becomes ipv6 compatible that is.
No, no. It'd be when an ISP exhausts, which is probably several years away. And every ISP will do what they can to make that go as long as possible.

JL
--
JL
Comcast

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

1 edit
I downloaded the 1.3 build rar file and cant locate a bin file to upload to the router. Any ideas?

»sourceforge.net/projects/dslite- ··· es_beta/

jus10

Sterling, VA
I can't find anything there usable either. I think the first problem is rar files. An undocumented proprietary format isn't the best way to distribute open source software. All I got from the rar was an empty directory. Might I suggest zip files? They're documented to a standard and well supported without evil software on all of the major platforms?

I was able to get the subversion repo to check out: »sourceforge.net/p/dslite-6rd/svn ··· ST/tree/ and it appears to be building now. However, OpenWRT is a massive project so this could take some time. In the meantime it looks like the local computer place is selling refurbed versions of this router (they had a horrible history of cooking themselves). I'll let you know how it goes.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

3 edits
I found this firmware poking around:
»www.kangaroo.comcast.net/wiki/do ··· rd:index

Unfortunately it fails while attempting to flash the router, an "old" WRT160n I had laying around.

Maybe the router itself is NG. I did remove it from service a while ago since the radio had given me some intermittent broadcast/connectivity issues.

The router firmware update works, I had DD-WRT on it, and just restored it to the Liknsys stock firmware before trying the 6rd upgrade.

[edit model #]
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to jlivingood
The guy on the team that posted the software is taking a look at this now -- give us a day to investigate (since it's Sunday).
--
JL
Comcast

jus10

Sterling, VA
reply to jlivingood
Ok, after 5 hours of working on this I'm throwing in the towel. I think the problems below are greater than my ability to solve.

Starting with the basics, the source code available per my listing above does produce images however its hacky. It would be much more useful to have a nice patch would would cleanly apply to the OpenWRT source. I've tried to build your version 3 different times and put it on 3 different routers to no avail. If there was a patch that could be integrated upstream by OpenWRT and DD-WRT the average person could easily get this software into use.

Regarding the 160N, it's limited it to the first hardware release. Its nearly impossible to find that release any more for an average consumer. I tried a refurb and even it is a version 3. OpenWRT only supports the v1 although I did try to get v3 up and running. It was converted to a ufo shaped brick (but kudos to Linksys for having an easy de-bricking system). So I went along and built a new image for my WNDR3700 Netgear. OpenWRT does support it but after I finally got it all up and installed, I was unable to find anyway to configure the 6RD settings; the rebuild and assembly process seems to obliterate the configuration options.

It's been a fun project but 5 hours and $50 later I'm no closer than I was before. Although its good to have the $50 router because my $150 router is presently bricked (Netgear doesn't have the cool de-bricking options Linksys does) and I can't quite figure out how to restore it. That's probably a project for another day. Brain is overheating; veg mode engaged.

jus10

Sterling, VA
Click for full size
The Dancing Kame
Well, it can be done.

I checked out the current backfire branch of OpenWRT and then diff'ed between that and the Comcast version. Once the crap was cut down there actually did not appear to be that many changes. If a patch from the developer can be provided I might be able to get further.

The above was done in a Netgear WNDR3700 so that will work on non-Linksys 160N's provided OpenWRT is built properly. However getting it to go was a bit of a bear and pulled in a fair bit of Linux and ipv6 knowledge I've built up through tinkering. Has Comcast posted the code's availability to say the OpenWRT and DD-WRT folks? Because I'm not sure I see this becoming mainstream until people can punch in those parameters provided in your initial post.

After rebuilding the firmware image and uploading it, adding in some packages and configuring the 6RD parameters, the router got an ipv6 address fairly quickly. I couldn't get my machines to do it off the bat (I may have broken whatever configured dhcpv4 to send that information). I installed ravd and it distributed the ipv6 address and well, you can see from the photo the rest.

The traceroute to ipv6.google.com does appear slower than its ipv4 counterpart but that appears to be due to routing. The actual connection to v6 was fairly speedy.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to jlivingood
To make everyone's lives easier, we just updated »www.comcast6.net/6rd-config.php# ··· #config2 to include a link to a ready-to-use BIN file which is here:
»www.comcast6.net/6rd-wrt-build.b ··· uild.bin

If that doesn't work, let us know and we'll fix the file.

Jason
--
JL
Comcast

Epikos
Surpass the Usual or Ordinary
Premium
join:2003-07-27
Hillsboro, OR
reply to jlivingood
The comcast6.net website includes the 6rd tunnel configuration, but no mention of supported devices other than your custom firmware.
Is it know which other devices support 6rd, if any? Specifically I'm looking to config my Apple Airport Extreme. Its the new dual-N one, not sure of the exact model number.
Thanks!
--
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person!

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod
In case you did not already see this, configuration instructions for currently supported devices:

»www.comcast6.net/6to4-config.php ··· php#faq3
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to Epikos
said by Epikos:

The comcast6.net website includes the 6rd tunnel configuration, but no mention of supported devices other than your custom firmware.
Is it know which other devices support 6rd, if any? Specifically I'm looking to config my Apple Airport Extreme. Its the new dual-N one, not sure of the exact model number.
Thanks!
As jack b See Profile said, that's 6to4. See »[IPV6] IPv6 Trials: 6-4 if Apple Airport, other devices
--
JL
Comcast

jus10

Sterling, VA
I don't know; I've had real problems with 6to4 while on Comcast's network. Mainly due to broken return paths. I realize that isn't Comcast's fault and that was the whole reason for 6rd in the first place. But I hope folks that switch 6to4 on and have a bad experience realize that.

I do wish 6rd was available in more software and that its DHCP support was rolled out across Comcast's network (dhclient here won't pick up the option on my local connection). If it were more ubiquitous, devices could support it out of the box.

The frustrations of being an early adopter.
Expand your moderator at work

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to jus10

Re: IPv6 Trials: Additional open source s/w released - try 6RD

said by jus10:

I don't know; I've had real problems with 6to4 while on Comcast's network. Mainly due to broken return paths. I realize that isn't Comcast's fault and that was the whole reason for 6rd in the first place. But I hope folks that switch 6to4 on and have a bad experience realize that.
Yup - that's one of the criticisms of 6to4 generally, especially as compared to 6RD.

said by jus10:

I do wish 6rd was available in more software and that its DHCP support was rolled out across Comcast's network (dhclient here won't pick up the option on my local connection). If it were more ubiquitous, devices could support it out of the box.
I expect a number of new boxes supporting 6RD will come onto the market in the next year, but we'll see.
--
JL
Comcast

jus10

Sterling, VA
Yeah, I found another problem with 6to4 as well. RFC 3484. Essentially my system's know that I'm using 6to4 so will prefer ipv4 to ipv6 for a site unless the site is v6 only (like the v6 facebook). My kame doesn't dance. 6rd didn't have that problem since it provided a "real" ipv6 address.

Apparently the Kame stack adopted RFC 3484 and then half-unadopted it later. Assuming OS X is still using code descended from there, that would lead them to by ipv6 leaning. Windows and Linux do not suffer from such a problem however.

So my shiny tunnel works great; its just rarely used.

One other item a monowall developer noticed is that your 6rd code looks for options 150, 151, and 212 yet it appears that 212 is the IANA assigned option for 6RD (RFC 5969). Option 150 is for tftp per RFC 5859. That was all in this posting:
»forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,40 ··· msg13744

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
said by jus10:

Apparently the Kame stack adopted RFC 3484 and then half-unadopted it later. Assuming OS X is still using code descended from there, that would lead them to by ipv6 leaning. Windows and Linux do not suffer from such a problem however.
Yup, this is definitely an issue. I believe Apple is aware of it and working on a fix in a future OS update.
--
JL
Comcast

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to jlivingood
Dumb question: will one of the images mentioned work on my WRT310N? It works swimmingly in DD-WRT, except that it won't even pass 6to4 from the outside network as far as I can tell.

jus10

Sterling, VA
The 310N is listed on the OpenWRT table of hardware as "supportable but not being work on". So until they add support, this would not be an option. Even if it was, you would still have to build an image on a Linux or OS X box to flash any router other than the 160NL.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to jlivingood
What is the time line for business customers with D3 and static IP's? I would really like to participate and test as both a client and server.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to jus10
The Linux/OS X box side of things is not a problem. Even if it was, I could set up a VM and call it good

jus10

Sterling, VA
Yeah, the problem is that even then OpenWRT is ... clunky. DD-WRT for all of its nonsense does have a much better interface. OpenWRT seems in a very embedded mindset and its uci configuration is very un-unixy or any other OS I've used. DD-WRT also supports many more devices than OpenWRT.

Still, I hope the 6rd stuff makes it somewhere up or downstream. For the present I switched on 6to4 on my Monowall router. With Comcast providing local servers and RFC 3484 meaning that I pretty much only use ipv6 when ipv4 is not available, it has minimal to no negative impact on my connection.

WB3FFV

join:2001-12-11
Abingdon, MD
reply to jlivingood
I very much look forward to Comcast and the ability to run dual stack with native IPv6, as I have the same arrangement at both of my datacenters, and also direct to my office. So the idea of being able to set my ACL's so I can just access my servers over IPv6 directly rocks..

Bring it on.. My Comcast is the only connection I have lacking v6 connectivity at this time.. Hell I have a /48 of IPv6 space, so ready to roll.. LOL

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:81

1 recommendation

Oh... I hear you... Come on Dual-Stack..

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to jus10
It is for precisely that reason that I prefer the X-WRT add-ins for OpenWRT (the add-ins actually make OpenWRT more friendly, especially on the IPv6 side, than DD-WRT does). The issue I have now is that I am running (as a router) the original WNR3500 (Comcast-supplied via their free wireless router promotion of almost two years ago) which neither OpenWRT or X-WRT supports (that alien Marvell chipset), not the WNR3500v2 (or WNR3500L) which have Broadcom chipsets (in fact, the two models have the same chipset; the difference is that the L supports NAS, while the straight v2 does not).

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

What is the time line for business customers with D3 and static IP's? I would really like to participate and test as both a client and server.

Ditto...kind of sucks being on business class and not getting to play with it.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

jus10

Sterling, VA
Assuming you have a router (or system if you have an ip assigned to a specific computer) which can support 6rd, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to configure a 6rd ipv6 address alongside your static ipv4.

Unless your are talking about Native Dual Stack which is a different matter all together.