uniqs
share rss forum feed

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to flyingjoey

Re: Someone please clue me in!

The 4g-ish techs have a better architecture to sustain high performance to many users at once. HSPA+ might be able to do that level of performance for a few but not the many. And it's sitting on legacy infrastructure.

I'm curious on the comment that LTE will have a 'richer ecosystem' than WiMAX. LTE devices will be controlled by the telcom industry. WiMAX devices are more open being in IEEE land. Throw in a certified WiMAX chipset and that's it.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

How about a comparison of range vs throughput? Is it really similar?

Dest
Bolo
Premium
join:2000-03-21
Naperville, IL

there's overlap between late generation 3G vs early generation 4G

remember it took years to get UMTS/HSPA to get upto 42mbps

LTE/WiMax is already spec to over 100mbps in its current form, I think it just implementation/cost issue that's holding it back currently

4G is more "efficient" as in faster/more user given the same amount of resource/spectrum

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

Right... Even HSPA+ technically requires new phones that support it. All this talk about how Wimax is niche or futile or something, I'm not sure I entirely agree. I'm under the impression that since Wimax 2 is less than 2 years away and is a minimal hardware and/or software upgrade to existing Wimax base stations (and is backwards compatible), that it is pretty safe to go ahead and build out with the technology.

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to xenophon

said by xenophon:

The 4g-ish techs have a better architecture to sustain high performance to many users at once. HSPA+ might be able to do that level of performance for a few but not the many. And it's sitting on legacy infrastructure.
Riiiiiight, except it's completely theoretical, nobody ever seen anything faster than 10-20Mb and HSPA is already out there worldwide, let alone that "better architecture" is actually much worse when it comes to towers, ROI etc.

I'm saying this for a while: WiMax missed it's windows of opportunity last year, sorry.
Clearwire/Xohm etc were way too slow and disorganized and underfunded to roll it out quickly in the biggest cities - this idiotic idea of rolling out in small places first never works for smaller companies, never ever, only stupid stingy investors think it will.

I'm curious on the comment that LTE will have a 'richer ecosystem' than WiMAX. LTE devices will be controlled by the telcom industry. WiMAX devices are more open being in IEEE land. Throw in a certified WiMAX chipset and that's it.
Let me translate it for you: hundreds of millions of handsets (LTE) sold versus hundreds of thousands of handsets sold (WiMax) - what do you think, which one will be cheaper?

And no provider wants to build handsets from the ground up (chipset, SoC) on their own - they just want an OEM who will modify their models for them, that's it.
--
said by bicker:

Waaaa waaaa waaaa. You just want what you want and don't care to factor in what is right or true. Your perspectives are un-American, and deserve far more ridicule than I'm prepared to pile on them.