uniqs
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to fartness

to fartness

Re: Space heater or furnace?

What you may want to do is use your furnace to keep the whole house at some reasonable temperature, then use the space heater where you are if you're not warm enough. At that - I'd keep the thermostat at 60-67 (depending on personal preferences).

In general - electricity is not favored as a heat source (possibly for heat pump, but upstate NY is probably not a good location for that in deep winter).

rex0
join:2002-02-10

rex0

said by scooper:

What you may want to do is use your furnace to keep the whole house at some reasonable temperature, then use the space heater where you are if you're not warm enough. At that - I'd keep the thermostat at 60-67 (depending on personal preferences).
You'd probably have to keep the furnace on anyways to keep the house warm enough to keep your plumbing from freezing and your appliances/electronics within their operating temps. Assuming you want to keep the house between 67-72 room temperature range. The cost from going to 60 -> 67 can't be that great.

Another though is how is your insulation? A small investment here might let you lower the bills while staying comfortable.
cwm1276
join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL

cwm1276 to scooper

to scooper
I'll second this, keep the gas furnace at a low level and then only boost the area you will be in. (plus you can't let parts of the house freeze, ) Also the electric heat then only has to make up the difference between your base temp and your comfortable temp.

Then extra clothes, a blanket while sitting on the couch, or a space heater all could boost the temp where you are actually.

Then of course if expect guests you can just turn up the gas and warm the entire house, so they don't have to snuggle up with you .