All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
joshub
join:2008-11-04

joshub to NSM998

to NSM998

Re: Update to the Comcast Constant Guard Program

Things go wrong in security detection all the time, and I expect sooner or later you will have mis-detection. I would rather avoid the problem all together by opting out as it is useless for me.

Which part of "no thank you" do you not understand?

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

pokesph

Premium Member

said by joshub:

Things go wrong in security detection all the time, and I expect sooner or later you will have mis-detection. I would rather avoid the problem all together by opting out as it is useless for me.

Agree.. where is the opt-out? I want no part of this.
Also where is it noted HOW this detection works? What are the minimum / basic criteria for triggering it?

How truly transparent is it?
I mean It has to see "something" in your data to think it's seeing a bot, right?

ETC..
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to joshub

Premium Member

to joshub
said by joshub:

Then pick a difference service provider.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

1 edit

Robert to joshub

Premium Member

to joshub
said by joshub:

What Comcast is doing is a step in the right direction. As the largest ISP in the United States, they have a responsibility, not to just their customers, but to the entire Internet community worldwide on keeping their network clean and free from bots.

You may think it's useless, but I can assure you, even the best have been infected at one point or another.

In either case, this isn't about YOU, this is about their investment and I agree with them that there should be no opt out option.

jazzman916
Life on the Upbeat
MVM,
join:2001-09-01
Birdland

1 recommendation

jazzman916 to pokesph

MVM,

to pokesph
said by pokesph:

Also where is it noted HOW this detection works? What are the minimum / basic criteria for triggering it?
Here: »constantguard.comcast.net/
said by »constantguard.comcast.ne ··· ast.html :

How did Comcast determine that I may have a bot?

We identify infected computers in several ways. First, we get data from reputable Internet research groups that specialize in bot identification. The data we get includes a list of Internet Protocol (IP) addresses that are infected and those that belong to bot command and control channels. Second, we look for malicious behavior exhibited by bots such as spam, distributed denial of service attacks and repeated connections requests to known command and control channels. We then aggregate this data to confirm whether one or more of your computers has been infected.
Sever
join:2004-09-10
Carol Stream, IL
Asus RT-AC3200
Netgear CM500V

Sever

said by jazzman916:

Here: »constantguard.comcast.net/
said by »constantguard.comcast.ne ··· ast.html :

How did Comcast determine that I may have a bot?

We identify infected computers in several ways. First, we get data from reputable Internet research groups that specialize in bot identification. The data we get includes a list of Internet Protocol (IP) addresses that are infected and those that belong to bot command and control channels. Second, we look for malicious behavior exhibited by bots such as spam, distributed denial of service attacks and repeated connections requests to known command and control channels. We then aggregate this data to confirm whether one or more of your computers has been infected.
also here »customer.comcast.com/Pag ··· 8522727f
Does Comcast's technique of detecting bots allow them to see my online activities?
No, this technique does not detect bots based on the online activities, protocols or applications you use. We provide you with full access to all the content, services, and applications that the Internet has to offer.
Which is nice to know.

I still however hate this web page-injected service alert crap.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

I hope they don't start doing it to those of us who go over the cap like Rogers in Canada...