»www.engineersedge.com/battery/ma···vels.htm

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to Subaru
how much are hydrometers anyways? I know most stores like to rip you off but does $9 sound about right?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 edit
reply to Subaru
Click for full size
Well I picked up one.. Its a little big but I guess it will do.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Should I test before and after charge? I tested just now while it's still in it's low charge state at least the gauge is showing some type of reading...

I will pick up the charger on Friday providing they have some in stock

Mdoc
Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium
join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA
To quote what smoke's first link said:
"To avoid erroneous readings, specific gravity measurements should only be taken after an equalizing charge and subsequent float charge for as least 72 hours."

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

...does $9 sound about right?
Sounds good to me.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Mdoc
I must of missed that

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Mdoc
said by Mdoc:

said by Subaru:

...does $9 sound about right?
Sounds good to me.
only spent like $4 lol last time I've seen and used one was like in the early 90's like 1995.

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
can only chalk it up to inflation.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by Mdoc:

can only chalk it up to inflation.
:P maybe I will pick up the charger and the float charger just in case it does happen to work out and charge.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Off to go pick up the charger and float.. but maybe I don't need the float charger because the batter charger goes into float mode when it reaches fully charged?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to Subaru
Instruction manual?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Welcome to the thread...

Floating charging stage: The battery 3. is fully charged and ready to use. The LCD Display shows the battery signal which indicates the battery is fully charged. The Battery Charger outputs a constant safe voltage of 6.8 volts for a 6 volt battery or 13.6 volts for a 12 volt battery for floating charging

that's from the pdf manual

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Not good so far... total battery voltage is 0 V connecting my jump pack to it gives the battery like 5-6 V after I disconnect it.. that's enough to trigger the charger on..

I can't use the charger while the jump pack is connected because then it thinks it's fully charged and plus it's a SLA battery.

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
said by Subaru:

Not good so far... total battery voltage is 0 V connecting my jump pack to it gives the battery like 5-6 V after I disconnect it.. that's enough to trigger the charger on..

I can't use the charger while the jump pack is connected because then it thinks it's fully charged and plus it's a SLA battery.
Use aurth's trick: put a 12V bulb in series with the battery, it worked for him.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
well I will be back I think I'm going to return this charger for the non electronic one I have a few 12v bulbs here.. I was able to get it to hold at 6V on the charger but it did not want to go to the 12V mode it kept switching back to 6 V and auto amp output.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

2 edits
reply to Subaru
Arrgh I had a very bad day.. I went to return the other charger to get this on here

»www.harborfreight.com/automotive···005.html

Anyways long story short my clutch cable snapped and was stuck in ridgewood, NJ for like 4 hours :-|

nevertheless I'm home now.. this charger seems to work better and will charge it seems.. However I'm a bit confused on how the meter works.. Should it go from 0 to 100 % or is it saying 100% to the green area?

It's a Ammeter gauge.

this is the pdf manual

»manuals.harborfreight.com/manual···5005.pdf

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHRosjKD3bE

I think 6 A is too much to start with some cells are starting to bubble.. I dropped it back down to 2 A but the meter is showing in the green.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
Gas bubbling is normal in a fast-charging configuration. Cover those cells (but add distilled water as needed first, then charge the battery). You don't want unprotected eyes near the cells.

Go ahead and use 6A charge rate, or use the 2A rate for a better charge.

According to manual, when it switches to float charge mode, it "will cycle on and off between preset cut-in and cut-off voltages to prevent overcharging and to compensate for battery self-discharge." I think this is the reason for the flunctuating indicator, and it's normal. I've seen it before.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by Mdoc:

Gas bubbling is normal in a fast-charging configuration. Cover those cells (but add distilled water as needed first, then charge the battery). You don't want unprotected eyes near the cells.

Go ahead and use 6A charge rate, or use the 2A rate for a better charge.

According to manual, when it switches to float charge mode, it "will cycle on and off between preset cut-in and cut-off voltages to prevent overcharging and to compensate for battery self-discharge." I think this is the reason for the flunctuating indicator, and it's normal. I've seen it before.
oh I left the caps uncovered.. I mean it's not like jumping out or anything.. the level is fine right now but I will check again later on.. How much does Distilled water go for anyways?

the charger did cycle but it's now charging the batter and has been for the past 25 min or so. It seems in the 6 A mode the meter will move upwards.
--

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA

1 edit
I forgot to mention the need for ventilation. A spark near the open cells could cause an explosion. You don't want that. Open a window, use a fan and cover the cells, and you'll be ok.

Distilled water isn't expensive, but then I've use maintenance-free batteries for years, so I don't really know. Should be cheap enough.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 edit
Caps are back on.. I wont really know how long it will take to recharge right? would 6 hours sound too long?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8z6tvKtu_o

and it seems to be going up so that must be good

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
Seems the 2nd cell from right side needs some water.

Don't worry about the length of time, because the float charge mode will kick in and the charging current will already be reduced by then. You can leave it like that for 72 hours if you want, or stop the charge when the needle points to green area. And it's been said you shouldn't leave the set-up unattended, but that's up to you. Make sure there's ventillation.

I don't really know how long it takes for a battery to charge up at a 6A rate. Depends on battery charged capacity and the charging rate.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 edit
reply to Subaru
I woke up this morning and it seems it's done charging seems to be in the float state.. about every 20-25 seconds or so it will charge then rest..

Battery seems to have come back from the dead I tested it inline with the meter and the voltage is around 12.2 V with a 55W H3 bulb and off charger.

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
Having read this:
»www.engineersedge.com/battery/Co···ging.htm

shows it's a good idea to keep float-charging for 72 hours to achieve full charge. A quick charge dloesn't mean a full charge.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by Mdoc:

Having read this:
»www.engineersedge.com/battery/Co···ging.htm

shows it's a good idea to keep float-charging for 72 hours to achieve full charge. A quick charge dloesn't mean a full charge.
yeah it's on the 6 amp setting now and everytime it falls from 13.9 V to 12.9 V the charger kicks back in until it shuts off at 13.9 again.

For a little test I took the charger off and hooked up two 55 W H3 bulbs and it powered it nicely.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 edit
reply to Subaru
Oh yeah this tread is not complete without inside shots

72 hr float charge ongoing

also picked up some distilled water and added water to the two right most cells.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
From this morning

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Subaru
Wondering if you're trying to bring it back to life just as a "hobby". New batteries aren't that expensive with a 5+yr warranty...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I'm only bringing it back because I want to use it if possible for a UPS providing it can take the load

And if it wont work with the UPS I have lots of other things I can use it for.

right now it's Equalizing

sdgthy

@optonline.net
said by Subaru:

I'm only bringing it back because I want to use it if possible for a UPS providing it can take the load
That looks to be a "starting" battery, not a deep discharge, aka Marine battery. If so, it will not be very useful for a UPS. Starting batteries don't like being deep discharged and quickly sulfate if they are.