uniqs
share rss forum feed

drose25

join:2001-06-12
Dallas, TX

1 edit

Recent sudden low volume issue on U-Verse STBs

Hi folks,

We had a low volume issue crop up on our STBs over the last 30 days or so. I thought it was an amplifier issue at first, but troubleshooting everything today it turns out that only the U-Verse STB is affected.

Basically, front channel volume from the STB is very low (just barely audible at what used to be the normal amp volume level) but the center channel is as loud (if not louder) than it was originally. Previously we could switch between the STB and other components like a DVD player without having to adjust the amp volume. Now, we have to double the amp volume to get decent sound from the STB, while other components are fine at the original volume level.

The STB is connected to the receiver (a Yamaha RX-V1070) via RCA cables. I've tried swapping the STB and DVD audio input connections in case it was a problem with one of the amp's inputs, but the problem still persists. Swapping out the STB with one from another room did not make a difference either.

I'm stymied. It was working fine a few weeks ago, and nothing has changed on our end.

[EDIT: I guess I should add that I have made sure that the STB's volume setting is maxed out at 25.]

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
universal fix

jk good luck

drose25

Dallas, TX
reply to drose25
LOL, thanks. I've been reading other forums and it seems volume issues are very common on systems using HDMI or optical audio connections, but I haven't found anyone reporting this problem on an old-fashioned analog RCA connection yet.

I just hope we can figure out what is causing it. U-Verse has been a very big hit in our household. Our TVs are just SD right now, but we noticed a big improvement in picture quality from Dish, and the 4 channel record DVR has stopped a lot of squabbling!

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to drose25
How are you getting multi channel audio over the RCA connections?

dewhite04

join:2009-05-12
reply to drose25
I just wanted to say that I'm having the same issue. Also when I change to SD channels (presumably which only have stereo audio) are nearly inaudible...

This is putting a crimp in our style because we often have to record some shows in popular time-slots in SD to get around having only 2 HD streams at a time...

drose25

Dallas, TX
reply to drose25
In my case, the multi-channel is Dolby Pro-Logic surround sound decoded by the amp through stereo RCA connections.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to drose25
Which STB's? The Motorola VIP1200's we have at my house have audio problems with the coax, but the HDMI and analog are OK.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

tlylework

@steadfast.net
reply to drose25
This may be stupid suggestion, but I was stupid enough to overlook this myself....

The STB also has a volume control.. Someone in my family lowered the volume on the STB unbeknownst to me. I could not figure out what was going on. It took me a bit, but then I remembered the volume control on the STB, turned it up and life was good again.

YMMV

trik_sea

join:2010-10-19
reply to drose25
We have the same issue and have had 3 techs out. Not one could figure it out. We have to turn the volume all the way up on our non-surround sound TV. We are new to Uverse and are not very happy. They've replaced boxes several times, as well as our RG. There are no settings left for us to try and change. An old fashioned coax cable gives us normal sound but crappy picture. Any other connection including HDMI, RCA, Component, etc., causes the volume to literally halve or more. It seems voices are much softer than music, but all volume is lower than it should be. Let me know if you figure out a fix. I have a feeling someone updated the firmware and throttled the volume...

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
I did an install for a small bar -- the Bar TV was a nice widescreen HDTV -- I fed it via a 20' HDMI cord (placing the box in an adjacent room)

The volume on the TV had to be maxed out to get any sound at all. Tried RCAs too -- got the same thing. Threw the TV on Coax w/ RF Channel 3 -- sound was MUCH greater over the Coax Channel 3 -- but the picture quality goes to crap

I recommended to the owner to consider getting some sort of stereo/sound system for the audio to get louder audio, but there was nothing I could do.

For whatever reason, the audio output is different via the Coax port vs the other audio outputs (RCA, HDMI, Optical)

To be fair though, this was probably bout 6 months ago, and I've never ran into this problem since

trik_sea

reply to drose25
This sounds like exactly the same thing. We have the sound downstairs amped but when we have fight night parties, we still won't be able to hear it. We have high ceilings and the sound disappears. I don't suppose you remember anything about the setup? What kind of TV?

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by trik_sea:

This sounds like exactly the same thing. We have the sound downstairs amped but when we have fight night parties, we still won't be able to hear it. We have high ceilings and the sound disappears. I don't suppose you remember anything about the setup? What kind of TV?
I want to say it was a Vizio, but don't quote me on that

trik_sea

reply to drose25
Interesting. Ours upstairs is a Vizio LCD, downstairs a Panasonic plasma. We tried our tv on our neighbors setup and it was the same issue. So both our houses are having problems.

wptski

join:2001-01-20
Warren, MI
Had the same problem with my U-Verse install on a new Vizio 19". A tech came out, checked the volume on the STB and switched from coax input to the TV to component. The volume increased some but not that much. The tech said that this was a common problem as the STB doesn't have a amp but if it doesn't have a amp, how can it have a volume control???

My upstairs TV is a older RCA 27" flat screen and the volume will blow you off a chair.

The Vizio with built in speakers being such a thin unit doesn't leave much room for a speaker that'll produce some good volume. I noticed lower volume on the Vizio when I was still on OTA after my old Panasonic died.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to drose25
This has been an ongoing problem a few people seem to get.

On my DVR I find I get the same perceived volume per channel as I do DirectTV through optical into a high powered 5.1 receiver.

On another set I use the TV speakers. I get louder volume through the OTA tuner compared to the analog stereo line the STB is hooked to. It's probably 1/2 as loud but the TV easily compensates. On the same TV the HDMI connection to a Bluray player is significantly quieter but the TV can still compensate. If I instead use the HDMI connection on the STB it sounds the same as it does through analog. This is a 350 lbs HD CRT TV so it does have a hefty speaker cabinet.

Since not everyone seems to have the problem I wonder if it could be the STB model? I have the Cisco models.

trik_sea

reply to drose25
We have two boxes, the DVR and a standard STB. The DVR is a Motorola VIP 1225.

FixManTx
Premium
join:2005-02-06
Minneapolis, MN
reply to drose25
A friend of mine has had Uverse for awhile and moved this past weekend. A Uverse tech hooked up service at the new place yesterday and brought new equipment and told her to return the old stuff, which looks the same as the new equipment. She has the HD DVR in the living room and a non-DVR box in the bedroom, both Motorola brand. While in the process of hooking up her Blu-ray player and running speaker wires and hooking up the speakers for the surround system (with the TV playing fine from the Uverse HD box via HDMI) the sound from the Uverse box disappeared. Over the course of a couple hours I tried different cables, tried all 3 HDMI ports on the TV, tried optical digital from DVR to reciever, analog RCA cables DVR to receiver, RCA cables DVR to TV, coax to TV via ch. 3 and great video but NO SOUND AT ALL. The other box in the bedroom isn't having any issues. I checked what few audio settings the Uverse box offers, toggled each setting around just for kicks and went through the TV's audio settings but nothing.
Besides both STB's being new as well as the gateway, the "new" install is via Cat5 while at her old apt. it was via coax. I'm sure the different cable type isn't the issue. Any ideas?

wptski

Warren, MI
Here's something that I found on a search but haven't tried to check myself yet.

You may need to turn the volume up on the AT&T U-verse cable box.

To program your remote to control the U-verse volume follow these instructions:

First turn your TV volume to about halfway

Press and hold the AT&T key on the remote control.

Without releasing the AT&T key, Press and hold the OK key simultaneously.

Release both the AT&T key and the OK key.

All the mode keys will flash twice indicating programming mode.

Enter 955 by pressing the number keys on the remote control.
The AT&T key will flash twice indicating correct entry.

Press the AT&T key (At the top-left of the remote)
The selected AT&T key will flash three times indicating successful assignment and will now control the U-verse volume.

Press the volume UP button.
If you see your TV volume go up go back to second step.
If you see a speaker with curved lines keep turning the volume up till it goes to 25.

Once the volume is at 25 you can program the remote to control the TV volume again by following these instructions:

Press and hold the AT&T key on the remote control.
Without releasing the AT&T key, Press and hold the OK key simultaneously.
Release both the AT&T key and the OK key.
All the mode keys will flash twice indicating programming mode.

Enter 955 by pressing the number keys on the remote control.
The AT&T key will flash twice indicating correct entry.

Press the TV key
The selected TV key will flash three times indicating successful assignment and will control the TV volume now.

If you see the U-verse volume go up go back to second step.
If you see your TV volume turn it up if it is still low.

Turn up the volume and see if it is louder.

FixManTx
Premium
join:2005-02-06
Minneapolis, MN
Well that would be funny if that worked.

wptski

Warren, MI

1 edit
I had low volume on a new Vizio after U-Verse was installed although I noticed the lower volume before the install too.

Tech came out and changed the output from the STB from the coax to component which increased it somewhat. Lately, I just used the headphone output into a exsisting receiver amp phono input. Got way too much bass sound but at least I'll be able to hear the TV when I'm on my stationary bike that makes lots of noise!

Just checked mine and it was at max. The STB didn't shut OFF with the TV, so I manually shut it OFF and pressed the ATT button to get them back in sequence. The STB are said to come set at max when new.