share rss forum feed

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3

2 edits

[IPV6] IPv6 Trials: 6-4 if Apple Airport, other devices

As noted on the Comcast IPv6 Information Center (»www.comcast6.net), we started turning up 6to4 relays this summer. If you have a device that can 6to4, you may want to give it a try if you want to access IPv6-based content. Configuration directions are at »www.comcast6.net/6to4-config.php

Compatible devices include:
- Apple Airport Express
- Apple Airport Extreme
- Apple Airport Time Capsule
- D-Link DIR-615
- D-Link DIR-825
- Linksys WRT610N

This is of course a trial, so YMMV.

JL
--
JL
Comcast

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA

Re: IPv6 Trials: 6to4 if you have Apple Airport, other devices

BTW, I hasten to add that I'm using this myself @ home on an Airport Extreme and it took about 10 seconds to make the config change (and 30 seconds for the Airport to reset).
--
JL
Comcast

verolom

join:2002-03-23
Reston, VA
reply to jlivingood
I just got a D-Link DIR-655 rev.B. When trying to setup 6to4 it is asking me for the IPV6 address of the 6to4 Relay. That field is missing in the Users guide or online help which are largely useless. It would not accept 192.88.99.1

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
said by verolom:

I just got a D-Link DIR-655 rev.B. When trying to setup 6to4 it is asking me for the IPV6 address of the 6to4 Relay. That field is missing in the Users guide or online help which are largely useless. It would not accept 192.88.99.1
I can't find info on that in the DIR-655's manual. Can you post a screen shot of that part of the config?
--
JL
Comcast

verolom

Reston, VA
Click for full size
Well, I could only find the Canadian version of the manual (6to4 settings are on page 54). The version that came with my router on a CD has the same information:

»ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir655/Man···_200.zip

A screen shot of the config. page of my router is attached.

Thanks for your help!

verolom

Reston, VA

1 edit
The IPV6 sections in the CA and US manuals appear the same.

fabiohiga

join:2006-01-22
Schaumburg, IL
reply to jlivingood
Working flawlessly for the last month or so on my Airport Extreme, with the 6-4 Tunneling. Thanks!

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to verolom
said by verolom:

Odd. And thanks for posting the screen shot. It shouldn't even need the address. You may want to ping D-Link support and see what they say - don't know what to tell you.
--
JL
Comcast

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood
The site that I use IPV6 for the most is www.v6.facebook.com. I'm not a big Facebook user but I think it's the site I use most that has IPV6 capability. I find that it frequently is slow to respond but at other times is "normal" (whatever that means) and I have no way of figuring out where the hold-up is. It doesn't distress me though as I hope those that are looking at the infrastructure are seeing what's going on. I can always switch to IPV4 if I need to.

Are there any other commonly used site that I might use with IPV6? I'd like to spread the "love" around ...

Bill W
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

jus10

join:2009-08-04
Sterling, VA
Heh, did you see their v6 ip address?:

2620:0:1cfe:face:b00c::3

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Yeah, I thought that was cute.

pizz
1gbps is all the rage.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jlivingood
Dear Jlivingood,

Can you please some how put me on your IPV6 trial, even though i am on Time Warner Cable internet I'll be your best friend and buy you a steak dinner if you come to NYC! just no peter lugers lol

but ya seriously, please =)
--
Fantasy football is Dungeons & Dragons for the guys who beat up kids that played D&D.

jus10

join:2009-08-04
Sterling, VA
6to4 should work in theory on any ISP. Of course it's best if their are local anycast servers to do the translation. Otherwise it can get kinda slow. You can also get tunnels from SIXXS or Hurricane Electric. Tereudo/Miredo would also be an option.

The first thing I would do is send a note off to TWC management about how you want this service and encourage their investment in it. Plan B would be to move a Comcast serviced area.

ViRGEdx

join:2002-10-25
reply to jlivingood
Thanks for the heads up about the 6to4 relays. My DD-WRT flashed Linksys E3000 is now up and running on IPv6.