Search similar:

uniqs
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

Kindle vs. Nook?

To start off I don't want to start a PC vs. Mac type argument.

But I have read the reviews of the two and want to know what people here think is really the best?

My wife has been wanting one for a long time and she has a birthday coming up so I thought I would get one for her.

I would prefer to keep it sub $200

WiFi and basic web-browsing would be nice but not a deal killer either way. As would expandable memory. I guess the main thing would be number of available books and future obsolescence are probably the main points....

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

said by b10010011:

I guess the main thing would be number of available books
This. 95% this. There can be a gap between what's available with one service and what's available on the other (B&N vs Amazon). Make sure the one you go with has the books she would want first. It's easy enough to find her favorite authors via the websites and make sure they have digital copies available.

That gap will get smaller as time goes on, i'm sure.

They're both great devices, with equal screens. The Nook has the extra 'wow' factor of the OLED screen, but some may find the touchscreen keyboard to be awkward.

One of the nice things about the Nook is the ability to read any book while in-store, free. Also the ability to 'loan' out books, even though it's somewhat crippled.

Personally I have the Kindle and love it. So, the best advice I can give is make sure the books are available on the device you want, and go from there.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to b10010011

Premium Member

to b10010011
Slightly to the side of the topic, but I have an Aluratek Libre Pro with a reflective LCD screen and just got a Sony PRS-350 with the new Pearl e-ink touch screen, and I have to say that I'm frankly liking the features and readability of the Aluratek much more. It's not as slim, light and sexy as the Sony, and it doesn't have the 16-level gray scale but it's features are more straightforward and I like its foldering capabilities more.

Regarding memory, I've got a 2GB SD card on the Aluratek besides its internal memory and I've got several hundred books on it, without making much of a dent in the storage capacity. Ebooks don't take up a lot of space. And with all those books loaded on it, the instant access of Kindle's book-buying ability is really meaningless.

In regards to WiFi capability being necessary or not - is she going to be in places where WiFi is available? If not, then it's a meaningless add-on. In my own situation, I'm never in places where there is free wireless that I am able to use, unless I'm logging into my own or a relative's wireless router; or if I'm actually in one of those hotspots, accessing WiFi is the last thing I'm thinking of doing.

I personally go into B&N with an idea of what I want to buy already in my head, and a list of authors that are auto-buys if I see new books by them. I've never been one to lounge about the store reading their books; is she that type of person or does she tend to follow what I do? If so, then the ability to read in the store - if you're not going to make a special trip to the store just to do that - is another wasted feature.

Is she going to buy most of her books or will she be downloading them from the dark net? If she's going to buy them, then the Kindle makes that simple. If she's going the other route, then it's good to have a reader that handles other ebook formats natively so that you aren't bothered with having to convert the formats.