Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to morbo

Re: Waiting for an app that allows watching Hulu

the broadcasters make them do it. because watching Hulu on say your PS3 makes the broadcasters fear you will stop getting cable channels which of course many of the cable companies also own.

Of course if we allowed true market forces to control everything. we would be paying for internet by the Kilobyte but have all the shows available online.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
said by Kearnstd:

Of course if we allowed true market forces to control everything. we would be paying for internet by the Kilobyte but have all the shows available online.
No, you would would pay by the kilobyte and then pay by the minute * viewership.

Metered billing falls apart on the internet as a whole because of peering.

hottboiinnc4
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
metered billing does not fall apart and can be put in without a problem. Its called the ISPs just decide they want to do it and its a done deal. There is nobody in power that can stop them and now laws to do it- nor will any law ever be created to stop it from happening as it interferes with private business.

VZ, T or TWC, Comcast and all can decide they're going to charge $5 per 40gigs on top of your regular HSI charge and BOOM! you'd pay or not have it and dial-up could be added the same.
--
www.twopugsbrand.com Kosher, Vegan, and Organic Certified Dog and Cat treats/foods and other products! www.etsy.com/shop/snakx4u/ Organic, Kosher, Gluten Free, Vegan Human Baked Goods

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
said by hottboiinnc4:

metered billing does not fall apart and can be put in without a problem. Its called the ISPs just decide they want to do it and its a done deal. There is nobody in power that can stop them and now laws to do it- nor will any law ever be created to stop it from happening as it interferes with private business.

VZ, T or TWC, Comcast and all can decide they're going to charge $5 per 40gigs on top of your regular HSI charge and BOOM! you'd pay or not have it and dial-up could be added the same.
I can set up my own ISP, set up peering with Google and facebook ( »www.peeringdb.com/view.php?asn=3 ··· sn=32934 ) and yahoo ( »www.peeringdb.com/private/partic ··· hp?id=27 ) and I just offloaded 50% of my traffic. The last mile is another issue.